Thread: Spring U bolt replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spring U bolt replacement

Dumb question:
    I bought all new springs, hangers, U Bolts etc. for my Top Kick. I didn't get them installed right away. Now that they are on, inspection station says they are too short.

I contacted the place I bought them. They say "tough shi*"

I found a new source, bought new U bolts. I hoped I could jack it up enough to take the weight off the tires & change one u bolt at a time. I'm several revolutions backed off on the first U bolt, it's still very tight. How are these things done without losing your head?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spring U bolt replacement

The bolt on the other side of the spring will pull the plate as you loosen the first side. I always back them both off equally. Also did you left the wheels of the ground, if so you have to support the axles weight, if you only raised the side you are working on the other side will be putting stress on the side you are working on.
    Mike

3. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    The bolt on the other side of the spring will pull the plate as you loosen the first side. I always back them both off equally. Also did you left the wheels of the ground, if so you have to support the axles weight, if you only raised the side you are working on the other side will be putting stress on the side you are working on.
    Jack both sides of the frame not quite enough to lift the wheels? All 4 nuts?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Axle is under the spring, right. If so yes loosen all four nuts.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I almost always just cut them off.... they're gonna break anyways, the road salt just kills em' Although it sounds as if yours haven't been on long enough to seize up??? maybe-- it don't take long...

Less than an hour ago I was trying to save some ubolts under our dump trailer, had a slipper spring break at the holding loop... and we had an extra new spring in the shop!!! but no hardware... I got one off without breaking it but the threads were so galled up it won't be going back on... the other broke about 6 turns out 7/16ths X 3 X 7 inch ubolts.
    Name:  trailer-spring-break1-15sep2020.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  113.6 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 09-15-2020 at 08:51 PM.

7. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done nearly as many as you guys, but I've never got one off without breaking or galling.

Torch or angle grinder for me....
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If spring is on top, jack and support axle not the frame. You want the weight of the vehicle to work with you not against you.