+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum tube TIG weld advise

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum tube TIG weld advise

Here’s my first attempt at Al tube. This is a 1.3” OD, 0.3 wall thickness tube, at 100A, 75 hz. Used full pedal.

I’m kind of surprised it penetrates all the way though.

How do you guys position it? I could only go about an inch or so each run before I had to stop and reposition.

On Al, if you have to do a lot of stop and starts, do you have to worry about cracks in the intermediate beads, or only the last one? I.e., on the intermediate stops, so you have to taper off slowly and add filler? I mean, you going to go over to again anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum tube TIG weld advise

That is really not penetration. But if you bevel there would be a good chance there could be. I would cut off and section your sample and get a good look.

I use a rotary table, or weld with torch off the end. That way you can nearly weld 180 degrees from one side to the other side using wrist action.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes Andy Somogyi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welding near the edge is giving yourself an unfair advantage that you won't always encounter.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Welding near the edge is giving yourself an unfair advantage that you won't always encounter.
    So always do everything the hard way? You sound like my brother who always wants to make a challenge out of everything.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, not necessarily the "hard way", just don't be relying on an advantage and think that it's within the normal ability. One needs to realize what is going on at all times and be cognizant of all variables. Like if you are top-speed racing, but there is a strong tail-wind that is letting you go 20mph faster than what the car actually tops out without the tail-wind. A lesser-experienced driver would think that is the actual top speed of the car under any and all circumstances, where as the experienced racer would know that the tail-wind is accounting for some of the 'extra' top-speed since now the car doesn't have to lose so much HP to air-drag, and is otherwise slower.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Nah, not necessarily the "hard way", just don't be relying on an advantage and think that it's within the normal ability. One needs to realize what is going on at all times and be cognizant of all variables. Like if you are top-speed racing, but there is a strong tail-wind that is letting you go 20mph faster than what the car actually tops out without the tail-wind. A lesser-experienced driver would think that is the actual top speed of the car under any and all circumstances, where as the experienced racer would know that the tail-wind is accounting for some of the 'extra' top-speed since now the car doesn't have to lose so much HP to air-drag, and is otherwise slower.
    I stick to the KISS principle.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist