+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Hobbyist

Post Thanks / Like

New Hobbyist

Hello Everyone, Names Brandon Nice to meet you all!

I'm Currently New to welding really haven't done much, couple of welds here and there on my motorcycles and that's really about it(Pretty crap but they hold lol), with my brothers welder of course. But hopefully that will change with newly occurring circumstance.

Now last week i came into ownership of a great setup that my work was liquidating because it had no longer been in use for a very long time. Kind of just sitting in the shop garage collecting dust and just kinda being in the way. So when the time
    came time that they were going to sell the setup, i pounced on my chance to buy it. I've had my eye on the setup for well over 5 years now hoping that they would sell it Success! lol. I basically stole it from them with the price i got it for if i go by the price of used
    setups for sale online. The new owners didn't know the worth so i took advantage of that.

(I Acquired)

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
    Miller 22A 24v Wire feeder
    Miller HF-251 D-1 Tig Welder
    Miller Cool-mate 3
    Miller Optima (Pulse Controller)
    Miller MIGrunner Cart
    Masks, Gloves, shields, tips, Spools of Wire, Tig rod, and much more.

Name:  IMG_20200919_121931.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  171.5 KB

So im super Excited cause i basically have everything i need for almost all forms of welding that i was interested in learning. Obviously this will just be a side thing and the setup is way overkill for what i will be using it for. But, i just couldn't turn down the price lol.
    Theirs a few things i need to do to it, 1. convert it from 3 phase to single phase, so that i can actually use it at home. ( i know it wont be the same but o well). Will need help figuring that out but that will be a future post.

Looking forward to all you lovely people helping out a Padawan like me learn and grow, and lovely meeting all who reply!

2. Likes DavidR8, machineart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Hobbyist

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

First, I am massively jealous...huge score! Second, converting that to 1 phase is easy. Change the plug on the cord to a NEMA 6/50 P (or whatever outlet you will use). The black and white leads go to the hots, the read lead is taped off and unsed for single phase and the green (or green and yellow) wire goes to ground. You should have NO connection to neutral.

And yeah, you can pretty much weld anything with that. It won't TIG weld aluminum too well, because the XMT doesn't output AC current. But it'll weld aluminum all day with pulsed MIG.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    First, I am massively jealous...huge score! Second, converting that to 1 phase is easy. Change the plug on the cord to a NEMA 6/50 P (or whatever outlet you will use). The black and white leads go to the hots, the read lead is taped off and unsed for single phase and the green (or green and yellow) wire goes to ground. You should have NO connection to neutral.

And yeah, you can pretty much weld anything with that. It won't TIG weld aluminum too well, because the XMT doesn't output AC current. But it'll weld aluminum all day with pulsed MIG.
    Why ty for help already! I've been doing alotta thinking about what i wana do going towards how im going to power this. I have a feeling im going to have to go with a generator. I was looking at a Predator 9000w Which has a 120V/240V twist lock outlet, 4 prong Connector. So im Guessing that i wont have to change it to single phase? it would be a Nema L14-30 by the looks from the picture. Otherwise it also has a 120V twist lock outlet, 3 Prong, which would be a NEMA L5-20. I dont really know electrical that well at all lol. im just going by what looks like it will fit doesn't specify the specific outlet on the specifications for the generator

and yeah i am excited about the flexability i have with welding and aluminum prolly never will be touched. i dont see the point plus everything i own that i would work on is steel of some kind.

If you can let me know your thoughts on the generator idea. I dont have the funds to buy and actual welding generator so the predetor is like my max range pretty much. Im dont see the point also in buying professional stuff when this is going to be a hobby thing. Ty!
    Last edited by Bsawyer; 09-20-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at a Predator 9000w Which has a 120V/240V twist lock outlet,
    Yeah, no. The XMT 350 has a kVA rating of 14.2 That predator is going to be undersized to run that welder at its rated output.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

For the nearly $700 you would spend on that generator, just have a proper 240 circuit dropped into your garage or work area. It will probably cost less than the generator.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Na it would cost more to have the 240 put into the house cause our breaker panel is maxed out so we would need to add in another sub panel and then the outlet. Plus my parents wouldnt let me do that. I'm not looking to get the full output of the welder. i wont have any need for it not like i will be welding thick steel or anything like that. i obviously will be switching it to 3 pole when i get my own place but that's in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Minnesota!

What a score! You hit the jackpot. Now to fire it up. Almost every home has 240 coming into the circuit breaker box or fuse box. Does the house have a connector for an electric clothes dryer or an electric stove? If so then the house already has 240 volt in the circuit box. There are mini breakers available which supply 2 ordinary circuits in the space of a normal single breaker. So 2 of the mini's will open up enough space for a 240 breaker. You need to talk to an electrician and then convince your parents about the great advantage they will have with you being to do repair welding for them. Or if that fails, then make a deal with your brother to store and let him use the welder at his place, with you also using it. If not your brother, then some other kind soul might find this to be a delightful deal. I don't know if that Miller is convertible from 3 phase to single phase (which is the power provided to all residences). I think you should check with Miller or study the instruction manual which might have come with that unit. In my shop, I have single phase 240 volt power which runs my welder and plasma cutter plus most of my tools. But I have a big metal lathe and a Bridgeport Mill plus a big drill press and a smaller drill press which will run only on 3 phase 220 V. So I bought a rotary phase converter which makes 3 phase from single phase power. Even though a 240 volt circuit has 2 hot leads, it is NOT a 2 phase supply. I know it gets confusing, but you MUST get the correct power to that welder, or else you might fry the main control boards. My son fried his with a power error, but fortunately the replacement board was available (price in the hundreds $$). To add even more confusion, there are 2 common 3 phase voltage systems available in commercial buildings 220 3 phase and 440 3 phase. Usually a 3 phase machine can be rewired internally to accept either. Do not fire up this machine without having someone who knows the electrical details to help you. A few years ago, I blew up a good Baldor brand Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) which made the 3 phase power for my Mill as I gave it the wrong voltage. It sounded like a shotgun blast and then let the smoke out. I thought I was being very careful. Tuition at the School of Hard Knocks is very expensive.

You have a very fine welding machine, treat it well and it will give you many years of great service.

Paul in MN

Post Thanks / Like

welcome and wow you did good son!
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Welding Web

That certainly is a nice setup!!! it should do pretty much anything you'll need for a while!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist