Thread: Squardwave tig 200 gas flow issues

Post Thanks / Like

Squardwave tig 200 gas flow issues

I have a squarewave tig 200 that I'm using at my shop and I bought the fupa 12 cups and conversion gas lense to use them on the pta-17 lincoln magnum tig torch and I'm having alot of issies with it acting like its not gettinh enough gas flow even when i have it set at 25cfh which is in the middle of their recommended 20-30cfh flow rating. Does anyone have any Ideas what to try to resolve the issues I'm having? So far Ive tried a different torch head, different regulator/flowmeter and even a different powercable and it hasnt gotten any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Squardwave tig 200 gas flow issues

Set welder for DC weld and strike an arc, is the arc making any sound?
    All you should hear is a very soft hiss. If it sound like a rocket engine we are getting air into the arc zone. I would return the torch to the factory set up for first tests.
    Get it to weld correctly then switch cups. I have found small cup sizes take less gas than larger sizes. If gas flow is to high for the cup size it will sound like a little rocket engine. try backing off on gas flow until quiet. If no matter what you do you can't get a quiet arc, you then have a leak in the gas system that is drawing air into the gas or have a contaminated bottle of gas. For the bad gas bottle you will need to find another bottle that does weld right to borrow. maybe take your machine to a different shop for the test. For leaks you will have to start at the bottle valve and work you way to the torch head. Soapy gas leak finder works well. You may have to plug an old diffuser so you can pressurize to torch to be able a find the leak. Be careful inside welder case mixing spray leak find and powering on the welder. Have had a few welders that had leaks inside the welder, but none were Lincoln's.

Post Thanks / Like

After spending quite a bit of time checking for leaks and restructions and changing the regulator/flowmeter I decided to experement with the flas flow amd discovered that it welds great at 25 cfh after changing the regulator/flowmeter so I think the old one may have a restriction in it.

Post Thanks / Like

or a leak.

Post Thanks / Like

Also make sure the copper screen doesnt have any boogers stuck to it.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.