+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HF 165 TIG/Stick DOA

Post Thanks / Like

HF 165 TIG/Stick DOA

So, I bought a broken harbor freight TIG/Stick welder (98233 I think). Call it for entertainment value to see if I could fix it. Kind of stuck right now as the 220 power comes on, makes DC for the chopper board but no output. Chopper IGBTs all test OK. Chopper driver board components test OK. Backing up to the controller board I am not finding the problem obvious as the 18 volt supply is up and running but I can not detect any output to the chopper driver board. Should be a small high frequency signal to turn on the chopper driver transistors. Nothing. Looking for bad solder joints but that seems unlikely. Anyone have a dead one or something in the 2010 era with A P06060506-4 controller board that I can buy? A schematic would be a great help also. Can't find anything as usual. The "Chinese Welder Forum" disappeared from yahoo and their remnants are pretty skimpy. UTube is some help.

2. Likes kyngfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 165 TIG/Stick DOA

Had that on a miller suitcase inverter mig. Bad optocoupler is what I ended up finding after stupidly fixing the rest of it to death. The optocoupler isolates the igbt driver from the low voltage side of the board. Just a guess hope it helps!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist