Thread: Building ramps/angle/channel strength

Post Thanks / Like

Building ramps/angle/channel strength

Hi everyone, I知 getting ready to build a set of fold up ramps for a equipment trailer I知 buying. The trailer is capable of holding around 18k pounds and most of my heaviest weights will be around 15k payload. I知 trying to determine what size angle/channel to use building my ramps. I知 a union ironworker that primarily welds and fabs so I知 not worried about the welding aspect of the project but I知 not sure what size material to use for the strength I want. Have thought about 4 inch channel outer stringers with 2x2x1/4 angle treads with a 2x2x1/4 tube running underneath the center of the angles and using the same angle for the supporting feet and runners on bottom so they値l be even with my deck when folded up to use as a support for Bush hogs and such. Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building ramps/angle/channel strength

I just finished repairing a set of ramps for a local, and they were made from 2x2x1/4 angle all the way around. I think he might have been overloading them, but they were OEM for the trailer and certainly weren't collapsing under the weight of his backhoe and other equipment.

The ramps had the angle iron "corner up" between the stringers to maximize strength and rigidity. Your idea of 4" channel for the stringers would certainly work, but don't forget the overall weight of the things. Hate to get them built nice and stout, and then find you can barely budge them to get them up when you want to drive down the road!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a larger angle and eliminate the square tube. 2.5" or 3" with the corner up. 4" channel seems adequate and is pretty strong stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you plan on putting the helper springs on them to help lifting them up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Do you plan on putting the helper springs on them to help lifting them up?
    yes they will have atleast two helper springs per ramp

Post Thanks / Like

Material sizing is directly related to the length of the ramps. How long do you plan to make yours?
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24,000gvw trailer that I had to make ramps for, and they had to be long so that I could load a tractor without having it tip over backwards on me. I'll scare up a pic for ya. Although I doubt that you'd even consider making ramps like these

Post Thanks / Like

I got 'em

These are 16' long. They're extremely safe for any load I'd haul with this trailer (6" channel with 1/4 angle iron crossmembers).

Name:  ramps gooseneck.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  218.6 KB

Name:  ramps gooseneck2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  183.8 KB

Because they're long, to reduce the climb/unload angle, they have to be sturdy. You're lookin' at the entire weight of the machine resting on them when it's halfway down. It takes 2 people to set them up at my age. When I built them, I could set them up, but that was many moons ago. I believe the combined weight is somewhere around 700 pounds IIRC, but well worth it...............keeps the pucker factor to a minimum. A ramp only has to fail once to make for a very bad day.

To be sure I'm not giving you bad info.........I'll measure the channel in the morning. Been quite a while since I built them, so my memory might be off a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the usual rush job, last minute, killer. Had to re deck the trailer before we went to get the tractor. The wood was too rotten to carry its own weight. Put a new 11ga steel deck on it the day before we went.

Post Thanks / Like

The mid support makes a huge difference in carrying capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

I built my 8ft ramps out of 4” channel with 2”x1/4” angle crossmembers. They work perfect on a 32” deck height gooseneck. I’ve loaded several pieces of equipment, but the heaviest was my 14,500lb jd tractor. My ramps slide into the rear of the trailer. I usually see gooseneck trailer mfgs use 3” channel, and the ramps are usually bent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    The mid support makes a huge difference in carrying capacity.
    Yep, cutting a span in half often doubles its capacity...