+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Started Out Good

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This Started Out Good

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Sam get a Milwaukee Fuel chain saw. I was going to get one but I had to buy so many other tools that I put it off. I have the Milwaukee weed whacker I like that with the 12 amp hour battery that things does a good job.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    They do work good for little stuff and 'quiet work'... when you don't want nosey people to know what you're doing nowhere near as powerful as my stihl's.. but hey each has it's purpose The one thing I don't like is the teeny tiny chain it has... but I understand why they designed it that way....

They ain't cheap either but what is these days...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    They do work good for little stuff and 'quiet work'... when you don't want nosey people to know what you're doing nowhere near as powerful as my stihl's.. but hey each has it's purpose The one thing I don't like is the teeny tiny chain it has... but I understand why they designed it that way....

They ain't cheap either but what is these days...
    I been checking out the "Greenworks" 60V 16" chainsaw for the little I do at home, I already have the string trimmer and its pretty awesome. Besides, little things with spark plugs hate me.

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I been checking out the "Greenworks" 60V 16" chainsaw for the little I do at home, I already have the string trimmer and its pretty awesome. Besides, little things with spark plugs hate me.
    Lately I have been having similar interactions with small motors the bosses side-by-side took a crap the other day and all I got told was there was gas coming out the exhaust! So I rip into it.... went through the carbs... didn't see anything??? could barely get it to run while floored, checked it with the FLIR... back cylinder is running 40 degrees hotter and keeps fouling the plug gave it a compression test:
    Front: 28 psi
    Name:  teryx750-front-compressiontest1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  80.5 KB
    Back: 38 psi
    Name:  teryx750-back-compressiontest1.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  77.6 KB

Seems kinda low....???
    Then I checked the valve gap on the rockers... but I didn't have any feeler gauges with me... so... it was a guesstimate check... seemed alright ??? gotta decide what to do next... might pour some oil in and redo the compression test... maybe it's burned ex valves??? from the intakes the intake valves look great! I dunno...

I did get a bit of 'machine work' done to the bobcat 250 welder with the kohler in it took a few thou off the mating face of the intake manifold to the cylinders... I 'think' it was leaking on one of these causing the temp difference in the cylinders on this one and the wet finger and huffing/puffing Duane talks about
    Name:  bobcat250-welder-intake-ground1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  76.1 KB
    Hope to get this back together in the next few days and test it out for welding...

Post Thanks / Like

Make a leak down tester for the SXS, old sparkplug and a 1/8" pipe coupler. You know what to do with that.

Wow... plastic intake manifold? I've probably seen it and it didn't register. Warpage just waiting to happen.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Make a leak down tester for the SXS, old sparkplug and a 1/8" pipe coupler. You know what to do with that.

Wow... plastic intake manifold? I've probably seen it and it didn't register. Warpage just waiting to happen.
    I think I have a leakdown tester somewhere around here.... just gotta find it

My first thoughts were it's probably cracked-- being plastic-- but no light seen with a flashlight test so when I pulled it off there was more corrosion on the one side oring seal... so hopefully this takes care of it(250 dollar part!!!)... because I think this motor is still good.. no clunking when I rock the crankshaft and it runs really good except for the 'hot' cylinder

8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten pretty distraught with the small engines on chainsaws & weedeaters, it seems they just don't hold up like they used to, I bought a new Poulan chainsaw two years ago , I've never used it because the dang thing is so hard to pull, even with the blade brake off, I don't know if you can buy one without it nowadays, BUT I HATE IT! I also have a near new Stihl weedeater that didnt wanna start this year, I just don't have the stamina or give-a-schit to fight em.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

10. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I've gotten pretty distraught with the small engines on chainsaws & weedeaters, it seems they just don't hold up like they used to, I bought a new Poulan chainsaw two years ago , I've never used it because the dang thing is so hard to pull, even with the blade brake off, I don't know if you can buy one without it nowadays, BUT I HATE IT! I also have a near new Stihl weedeater that didnt wanna start this year, I just don't have the stamina or give-a-schit to fight em.
    The 'Greenies' have effectively destroyed all of the small engines on the market!!! turning them into one season(if you're lucky) disposable tools used to be you could leave fuel in something for 10 plus years and still start it when you finally got around to it... no more... you will be lucky if something sits a couple weeks and still starts!!! I try to run ethanol free fuel in anything I have but even that ins't a guarantee as they have 'reformulated' ALL fuels to make them more 'clean'... what a joke!!!

12. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally decided on the Greenworks 60V 16" chainsaw today, went to Lowes since they had the best price online... They are selling so fast I wont see mine for another week. $229 with battery and charger. Amazon had the saw alone for $191+12 bux shipping, but the extra batteries are $189 by themselves and I get another charger too. NO MORE YANKING CORDS.

Post Thanks / Like

I got it all put together Friday evening, and pulled the cord.......................it ran for a few seconds.

Finally got it running for a while with the choke closed, and ONLY with the choke closed.

So, it's either something plugged in the carb/faulty fuel pump in carb/faulty metering system in carb/weak pulse coming from motor to run the pump.

I pulled the line from the pump off, and blew in it. I could hear just a tiny bit of air coming out of the fitting on the motor. I don't know just how much pressure the pulse should be, but a leak isn't good I'm thinking. The improper hose doesn't fit tight enough maybe. I can put a small diameter hose on it if need be.

I opened up the carb to look at the fuel pump diaphragm, and metering diaphragm. Both looked ok. But I ruined a gasket when opening up. Now I gotta run and get a kit on Monday.

I need to check the check valve in the metering chamber too. It looks like it's full of some sorta yellow crud.

So far, I've got $9 in the bulb kit, and $3 in the new filter. I imagine the carb kit will run about $10-12 for a decent one.

15. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On Monday, I called the small engine guy to order a carb kit. He very strongly recommended against it because the carb is a Walbro clone from China,, and it's just enough different from a genuine Walbro, that the kit may/may not fit. He looked up the price of a new identical Chinese knockoff..................$17. So we ordered the new one, and it arrived this afternoon.

When I mount the chain bar, I'll adjust the idle so it doesn't move the chain. My feeling, at this point, is that the idle is too fast. BUT DAMMY GRAMMY!!!!!! SHE'S RUNNIN' AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I didn't have any leftover parts

I have absolutely no idea how I typed Cragsman in the title Alzheimers maybe......

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised at all the smoke it put out. I'm thinking it's because I forgot to put the cap back on the gas can a few days back, and it sat there for about 24hrs open. I'd bet enough gas evaporated to make the oil/gas ratio oil rich. Anyways..........this crap is gonna get drained from the tank, the can emptied, and I'm headin' off to the gas station to buy some REAL gas for the 2 cycle stuff. No more ethanol in these!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist