+ Reply to Thread

Thread: can a 3ph motor be used as a stepdown transformer

Post Thanks / Like

can a 3ph motor be used as a stepdown transformer

Recently i acquired a mig welder but it is italian and oddball 3ph. it has voltage taps 220 up through 415v . i have 460 in the shop . --- i was wondering about using a 460 wye motor and while running it from 460 have 3 tap wires leading from it at -T7 , T8 , and T9 to run the welder as there should be roughly 230v at those taps . in effect this should (i think) act as a rotary step down transformer. Im sure as arc load changes there will be voltage fluctuations but i think it may be worth a try. HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER TRIED THIS? Name:  12-25.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  27.2 KB
    "The Natural Liberty of Man is to be free from any Superior Power on Earth, and not to be under the Will or Legislative Authority of Man, but to have only the Law of Nature for his Rule."-- John Locke

Post Thanks / Like

Re: can a 3ph motor be used as a stepdown transformer

Don't know about the motor but check if the welder is 50hz (for Europe) instead of 60hz for N. America.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question.

Are the gauge of windings suitable for the current demand of your mig?

Post Thanks / Like

it is 50 or 60 according to the tag .
    "The Natural Liberty of Man is to be free from any Superior Power on Earth, and not to be under the Will or Legislative Authority of Man, but to have only the Law of Nature for his Rule."-- John Locke

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried anything like that. Interesting question though.
    I’m thinking that because welder is basically in parallel with one set
    of windings (T7,T8,T9)welder will cause lower impedance at those
    points and low voltage at welder.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

it was more a -theory question . once i had some input i figured i would try to match up something. the mig is around 11 kw so i was thinking about using an old 15 or 20 hp motor for converter .

Are the gauge of windings suitable for the current demand of your mig?[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering that as well. i have built single to 3 ph rotary converters before so i was also thinking on maybe just running the welder on single ph 220 and add some equalizing capacitors from each outside leg (1 and 2) to power and stabilize the 3rd leg .

Post Thanks / Like

Open it up and make sure it is really "3 ph".
    If there are no components(transformer, fan motor, etc) that use all 3 legs then it can be rewired to work on 1 ph.
    We have environmental chambers that are like this. The 230 volt loads are on legs 1 and 2 and all the 115 volt loads
    are on leg 3. For 1 ph you place a jumper between legs 2 and 3. For 3 ph you remove the jumper and hook up all 3 legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just buy a dry pack transformer and set it up for the proper voltage? Usually you can find them for a few hundred bucks used.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Line match auto transformer with multiple taps. should come in single and 3 phase.
    go to a local electrical wholesale retail house and talk to a sales man. Have them look up different transformers you are looking at a 45 to, 64 volt drop depending on if you have 460 or 480 volts. Should be able to come up with either a line match or a buck transformer. a 48 buck transformer should be ok. Also find out what the voltage range the welder will work at. Maybe even the welder manufacture has a line match transformer they sell or recommend.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist