Thread: Idealarc 250/250 Pointer Actuator

Post Thanks / Like

Idealarc 250/250 Pointer Actuator

I'm working on a 1966 Idealarc. The current control binds to the point that it won't move. I've remove the strap that connects the gear to the pointer, pointer actuator and all moves properly and it welds fine. I've attached a pictures of the actuator. It's has several bends and is slightly twisted so the three openings don't line up. I know it is hard to describe so hopefully pictures will help someone give me guidance on what I need to do to fix. I have searched the forum and the net and couldn't find any clear pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idealarc 250/250 Pointer Actuator

im not sure if were talkin the same thing. i had one that kept breaking the plastic pointer, cuz the piece kinda like you got on the milk crate, was bent. finally i took the arm off, and straightened where it shouldnt have been bent. now the little plastic pointer dont bind, and brake anymore. i think it got bent by previous owner, when he flexed the arm back to force a new plastic pointer on

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 123weld
    Yes that's the arm that moves the plastics pointer. The pointer fits in the open slotted end.
    Mine is bent to the point that it locks down the adjustment wheel.
    My dilemma is that I'm not sure which part needs to be straightened.
    I'm guessing that the two slots and the center hole need to be aligned. The top slot is offset on mine.
    Can anyone confirm or give guidance on proper alignment?

Post Thanks / Like

i cant remeber, i just remeber tweaking it till it moved freely. i had to fit it, on and off two, maybe three times, to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

If the arm is bent the pivot post is too. just did this repair on a round top.
    I take the front all the way off. unbolt the weld leads, line switch and polarity switch.
    Remove crank wheel, take off name plate by polarity switch. Take screws out of the front and pivot front panel off the polarity switch handle. Just leave the switches hanging on the wires. Lay front side down. Check pivot pin and make sure it is straight. Clean pointer tracks and remove any dents. Pointer slot must be parallel and straight. wipe on a small amount of grease. remove main name plate and install new pointer and put name plate back on. wipe grease on a new arm and in the pivot bearing. New one is plastic. If your old arm has the bronze bearing, move old bearing to the new arm and grease. put arm on pointer and slide pointer to one side then place arm on pivot. Check operation, must slide easy. check arm and make sure it is level. pivot point may still have to be adjusted. Just gently grab with a plyer and adjust till straight and arm moves easy. now crank the welder till the sector pin is centered, place pointer in the center of travel. reverse disassemble, place over polarity switch then back into base. put left and right screws in.
    reach behind and put arm on pin. attach switches and weld leads.
    total time just over 1 hour. new arm and pointer do not cost that much. 1 hour of shop time is more than they cost. adjustment of the pivot pin is very important to get right. have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ccawgc
    You were correct the pivot pin was bent.
    I disassembled as you described. I have the bronze bearing and the pointer was good.
    I replaced arm and it's working fine.
    Kirby