Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $50 Paid Research - Welding Equipment Purchase Decision Process

Post Thanks / Like

$50 Paid Research - Welding Equipment Purchase Decision Process

Hello all!

My name is Christian Merasco. I am an analyst with the Martec Group, a market research firm just outside of Detroit, MI. We are conducting a study regarding the purchase decision process for welding equipment among do-it-yourself welders and small businesses. We are looking for respondents who fit in any of the categories below who either currently own or plan to purchase welding equipment. We are willing to pay $50 for an approximately 20-30 minute interview over the phone.

Do-It-Yourself
    • DIY Automotive
    • Artist/Sculptor
    • Small farmer/rancher
    • Metal work hobbyist

Small businesses
    • Independent auto repair shops
    • Metal fabrication
    • MRO
    • Plumber/Pipefitter/Streamfitter

If you are interested in participating in this very brief study regarding welding equipment, reach out to christian.merasco@martecgroup.com, or feel free to respond to this post. In your email/response, please also answer the following questions just to ensure us that you qualify, as a reminder, you will be paid $50 for your time!

• Which of the categories best describes you (Pick one of the 8 bullets above)
    • How many welders do you currently own?
    • What specific welders/brands do you own?
    • Do you plan on purchasing a welding product in the next 12-18 months?

Thanks in advance for your time, feel free to reach out with any questions!
    Last edited by merascoc; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $50 Paid Research - Welding Equipment Purchase Decision Process

I can answer those 4 bulleted points in less than 60 seconds. So, why do you need 20-30minutes of time again? Not following.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

3. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@oscar those are the qualifying questions to see if you fit the survey criteria.

(I don't as I'm in Canada)
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

5. Likes merascoc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Oscar, the 4 bulleted points are just questions to ensure us that you qualify for the study. Once we know you are a good fit, we will then go deeper into the purchase decision process and the ownership experience in a 20-30 minute phone call!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok. I see. Chrisitian, I might send you an email. I'm definitely outside of the norm when it comes to purchasing welding equipment.
    Last edited by Oscar; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:49 PM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    @oscar those are the qualifying questions to see if you fit the survey criteria.

(I don't as I'm in Canada)
    Why don't you fit the criteria? I didn't see anything about it only being available to US residents.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm out. I'm a Harry Homeowner who doesn't even weld, but my kid does. Do I buy welders? Guess so:

Syncrowave 250
    Dialarc 250 stick
    Idealarc 250 stick
    Lincoln AC180c stick (~ 1952)
    Lincoln Sp175+ MIG
    HF 80a stick
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Firepower TIG 160S
    Miller spot welder
    2 Oxy acet torches, regs

Send me $2, I'll buy a lottery ticket. If I win big, I'll buy a bunch more welding machines. I;ve been wanting a 1500 Amp stick welder to run the big boy rods. Name:  big welds.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  62.4 KB
    Last edited by Oldendum; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:00 PM.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

How can you know if the people submitting info in these serveys will be correct and accurate?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all are seriously getting scammed for your contact info LOL. The only person making money on this is them, when they sell your info to whoever's in the market. Guarantee you that NO ONE HERE gets $50, unless it's a brand new user with a September 2020 account...
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

12. Likes Dee_veloper, 123weld, 455dan, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why @merasoc dropped the location question but in a PM he told me it was for US residents only.
    It would be better to add that criteria back to the list.
    Last edited by DavidR8; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:05 PM.
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Lets see. I got a dollar general oxy acetelyne torch setup, a buzzbox welder that I got from horror fright, electrodes purchased from wallyworld, a so called plasma cutter bought from monkey wards, and a stick machine that i bought off of a guy on a street corner where the prostitutes usually hang out. It was a cash and carry deal!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I totally understand your concern. I can assure you that this is a real study for a real client done by a real market research firm, and the information that we are gathering is to better our knowledge in the field. We are just looking for respondents who can tell us about their purchase process when buying their welders. This is a totally legitimate study with no scamming involved, we are just asking for 20-30 minutes. The location and phone number is just so we can meet our quotas per region and have a phone number to reach out to when we conduct the interview. Have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

We have a few screener questions to ensure that our respondents do qualify for our study!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I totally understand your concern. I can assure you that this is a real study for a real client done by a real market research firm, and the information that we are gathering is to better our knowledge in the field. We are just looking for respondents who can tell us about their purchase process when buying their welders. This is a totally legitimate study with no scamming involved, we are just asking for 20-30 minutes. The location and phone number is just so we can meet our quotas per region and have a phone number to reach out to when we conduct the interview. Have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

They do have a nice web site.
    http://www.martecgroup.com/
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
    Lets see. I got a dollar general oxy acetelyne torch setup, a buzzbox welder that I got from horror fright, electrodes purchased from wallyworld, a so called plasma cutter bought from monkey wards, and a stick machine that i bought off of a guy on a street corner where the prostitutes usually hang out. It was a cash and carry deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    I'm out. I'm a Harry Homeowner who doesn't even weld, but my kid does. Do I buy welders? Guess so:

Syncrowave 250
    Dialarc 250 stick
    Idealarc 250 stick
    Lincoln AC180c stick (~ 1952)
    Lincoln Sp175+ MIG
    HF 80a stick
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Firepower TIG 160S
    Miller spot welder
    2 Oxy acet torches, regs

Send me $2, I'll buy a lottery ticket. If I win big, I'll buy a bunch more welding machines. I;ve been wanting a 1500 Amp stick welder to run the big boy rods.
    While you guys do have a lot of great equipment, I think it is blatantly obvious not only who the client is but also that they want people that are actually buying welding machines in recent times (and will continue to do so) because the client wants to sell machines NOW and in the near to not-so-distant future. I don't think they want to know of buying habits from 1985 when you scored a deal on a used machine at a pawn shop That won't help the client sell machines "in the next 12 to 18 months" as it was stipulated.

I'm wondering if anyone else besides me has figured out who the client is....I'm 99.999% sure I know.....all from reading the very first post

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    While you guys do have a lot of great equipment, I think it is blatantly obvious not only who the client is but also that they want people that are actually buying welding machines in recent times (and will continue to do so) because the client wants to sell machines NOW and in the near to not-so-distant future. I don't think they want to know of buying habits from 1985 when you scored a deal on a used machine at a pawn shop That won't help the client sell machines "in the next 12 to 18 months" as it was stipulated.

I'm wondering if anyone else besides me has figured out who the client is....I'm 99.999% sure I know.....all from reading the very first post

You totally missed the point. The OP is a scammer, spammer wanting to gain your personal info to use to sell! Flew right over your head didnt it?

Post Thanks / Like

$50 Paid Research - Welding Equipment Purchase Decision Process

I guess the OP decided to make a SECOND post over here after not receiving the response he wanted yesterday on the ( Non Welding) Forum Support and Suggestions.

If any of you guys are so in need of an extra fifty bucks Im sure ronsii , munkul or 12V71 can find something for you to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:46 AM.
    :

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post

Do they have a forum on this site?

Post Thanks / Like

You totally missed the point. The OP is a scammer, spammer wanting to gain your personal info to use to sell! Flew right over your head didnt it?
    How did you determine that?

The Martec Group is a legitimate market research company that's been around for over 30 years. You can look them up on LinkedIn, GlassDoor, D&B, and a bunch of other places. They have been featured in Crain's Detroit, Bloomberg and other industry publications. I don't know if the OP is really an employee, but it seems likely given the e-mail address matches the company name. Further, a person with his name is listed as an analyst for the Martec Group on LinkedIn.

I've investigated fake companies and scammers in the past, and this looks nothing like those situations. For example, the Martec Group lists an actual street address in Royal Oak, Mi. You can go to a street view from your favorite mapping site, pull it up, and there's a business with their name on the door at that address. Scam companies never have anything like that. Also, that's a very nice area of town where a lease would be very expensive...not something a scam company would do.

While I have never heard of the company before, I'd be willing to bet a paycheck it's legitimate.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

25. Likes DavidR8, merascoc, N2 Welding, Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for saying this. Everything that you said above is true, I can confirm I am an analyst at The Martec Group looking to recruit respondents for a paid interview for a real study that we are doing. I figured this would be an awesome forum to recruit the people we want for this particular study for our client to learn some more information. I really appreciate you saying this, I hope you have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    How did you determine that?

The Martec Group is a legitimate market research company that's been around for over 30 years. You can look them up on LinkedIn, GlassDoor, D&B, and a bunch of other places. They have been featured in Crain's Detroit, Bloomberg and other industry publications. I don't know if the OP is really an employee, but it seems likely given the e-mail address matches the company name. Further, a person with his name is listed as an analyst for the Martec Group on LinkedIn.

I've investigated fake companies and scammers in the past, and this looks nothing like those situations. For example, the Martec Group lists an actual street address in Royal Oak, Mi. You can go to a street view from your favorite mapping site, pull it up, and there's a business with their name on the door at that address. Scam companies never have anything like that. Also, that's a very nice area of town where a lease would be very expensive...not something a scam company would do.

While I have never heard of the company before, I'd be willing to bet a paycheck it's legitimate.
    Apparently you have had the "wool pulled over your eyes"! Feel free to carry on!

28. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Dislikes shortarc disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The legitimacy of the survey offer aside, I suspect there are some here who choose not to willingly divulge personal info.

No big deal either way to me but personally I would choose an alternate way to earn $50.

:

30. Likes N2 Welding, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The legitimacy of the survey offer aside, I suspect there are some here who choose not to willingly divulge personal info.

No big deal either way to me but personally I would choose an alternate way to earn $50.

True Dat!

Post Thanks / Like

Flew right over your head didnt it?
    Quite the contrary. Most things don't, unless I happen to read it at the wrong time of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    If any of you guys are so in need of an extra fifty bucks I’m sure ronsii , munkul or 12V71 can find something for you to do.

I could care less about 50bux. I'm more interested in the questions they are planning on asking. I waste more than $50 each time I go to Hooters, about 2-3x a week with my friends to watch basketball and football. Speaking of which, it's almost happy hour!
    Last edited by Oscar; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:58 PM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

33. Likes DavidR8, Gump, BD1 liked this post