+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about an oxy acetylene hose

Post Thanks / Like

Question about an oxy acetylene hose

Yesterday I was given a Harris cutting torch set, no tanks. It had been stored in a barn for years and was absolutely filthy. I cleaned it up (the regulators cleaned up fine) and while using a brush and soap on the hose, I noticed a nick. I have a couple questions.

1) Is the nick serious enough that I need to either replace the hose or splice it? 20' long. It looks like it's surface and maybe on the oxygen hose but I'm spooky about OA stuff since I've read so much about it's dangers. I've never used a set, I hope to get some tanks at some point. By the time I buy the repair kit and the crimping tool I may be close enough to the price of another 20' hose I might as well replace the whole thing.

2) Many of you all don't care but it's still so dirty looking I can hardly tell which hose is red and which is green even after washing. Normally I'd rub it with WD-40 to get back some of the color but I've read that WD-40 is a no no on oxy acetylene stuff. Is there anything else I can do to bring back some of the color? Of course it doesn't matter if you all think replacing the hose is the best thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about an oxy acetylene hose

$28 for a new 20' set on Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Torch-Welding.../dp/B0765D6GCF how much to replace your shop?
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

3. Likes lotechman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't mix the hoses up because the fuel gas is left hand thread but new hose isn't too expensive for piece of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Question about an oxy acetylene hose

Replace them, inexpensive security.

I would consider a pair of check valves too.
    Example for regulators

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014W...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Torch handle ones. Example
    Check at local supplier.

https://www.amazon.com/US-Forge-0891...+check+&sr=8-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BD1; 09-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it looks like the hose was pinched not nicked. If so the inner tube may be damaged and you can't see it.
    As others have said new hoses are cheap!
    Also buy longer than 20 feet if you can afford it.
    Don't be afraid of OA, just give it respect!
    I noticed what looks like electrical tape on the cylinder connectors, really bad idea!
    Clean off all the goo from the tape with alcohol and let dry completely.
    In the future you can cover them with paper towels or zip lock bags with rubber bands or zip ties to keep them on.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the crimp on the oxy reg end, the hose has been repaired before. Cost to splice will be about 10 bucks so replace the hose and start fresh. The rest of your set is good stuff.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

I never worry about the color.
    Only if the house was leaking.
    You see this color in auto and machine shops.
    The best way is just replace the hose and keep out of oil.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    Yesterday I was given a Harris cutting torch set, no tanks. It had been stored in a barn for years and was absolutely filthy. I cleaned it up (the regulators cleaned up fine) and while using a brush and soap on the hose, I noticed a nick. I have a couple questions.

1) Is the nick serious enough that I need to either replace the hose or splice it? 20' long. It looks like it's surface and maybe on the oxygen hose but I'm spooky about OA stuff since I've read so much about it's dangers. I've never used a set, I hope to get some tanks at some point. By the time I buy the repair kit and the crimping tool I may be close enough to the price of another 20' hose I might as well replace the whole thing.

2) Many of you all don't care but it's still so dirty looking I can hardly tell which hose is red and which is green even after washing. Normally I'd rub it with WD-40 to get back some of the color but I've read that WD-40 is a no no on oxy acetylene stuff. Is there anything else I can do to bring back some of the color? Of course it doesn't matter if you all think replacing the hose is the best thing.

Post Thanks / Like

You all have great eyes or plenty of experience with OA to spot those things. Thanks for the advice. Yep, new hoses, check valves and sandwich bags/rubber bands from here on out. This will just sit in my shop for a while though until I run into a need for OA and have to get tanks.

One can't turn down free stuff but I was a little bummed to find the hose nick. Greatful for the gift though. The guy that gave it to me said there was a brazing tip and a rosebud around someplace but we hunted everywhere and couldn't find it. Oh well.
    Last edited by JD1; 09-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in perhaps a different camp.

If the rest of the hose is in good condition and is very flexible, I would opt to repair instead of replace.

Brass hose barb repair kits are inexpensive, and from my experience the modern inexpensive Chinese oxy-acetylene hose is very stiff. If I use my torches for brazing, etc, the modern hose makes it much less comfortable to use than the older, flexible USA mfg hose.

Just something to think about.

Scott
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist