+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Cool Stuff for Hobby/Retirement Shop

Post Thanks / Like

Transporting Cool Stuff for Hobby/Retirement Shop

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    WTF !! No way would I be without my HD 2500 Z71 4 wheel drive, my trailers, my tractors with front end loaders.
    And you have a Ranger make believe truck?
    Dam, you need help.
    I have a Polaris Ranger that's better than your Ford Ranger.
    If it wasn't for this Covid shlt, I would visit, make a run to your bank, withdraw $$$$ and go shopping. OR we could use your credit cards depending on their limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You would do that for me......?🥲——(tear in eye emoji)

In my defence the recently purchased 2003 Ranger might be considered vintage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 01-09-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    :

2. Likes ronsii, 12V71, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Transporting Cool Stuff for Hobby/Retirement Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    You would do that for me......?��

In my defence the recently purchased 2003 Ranger might be considered vintage

I had a '98 Ranger 4X4 with the small V6, It was a great little truck that barely got 3 MPG more than my V-10 F-250. I still have the 250.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 1986 4x4 Ranger new with the 4cyl diesel. Good mileage but LOTS of shifting

:

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend, a farmer takes great pride in making do. He manages a 600 acre property with an old battered Ford Ranger. His son is a nurse at the regional hospital, drives a Toyota 1/2 ton, bought a tandem axle dump trailer. The father hauls EVERYTHING behind the ranger! I needed some power poles. He suggested I steal some from the power company.

They had been replaced, and were piled waiting on a grinder. I asked the power company, the answer was NO. I declined to do that. Theft, even of something headed for a landfill is not my way.

A pile of poles appeared on my property. He said he had trouble as the rear of the truck kept coming off the ground, the poles were sticking so far off the rear of the trailer.

Another time I bought some 17' Locust logs from him. I'd have been happy to transport, that was the plan. He showed up with 5 logs 12" diameter at top end sticking 11 feet past the rear of the Ranger pickup. Said he had to touch the brake a few times to bring the front wheels back down.

Another friend once sent a picture of him towing a mini excavator down a four lane highway. I don't know the tow rating of a four cylinder Ranger, I'd bet less than the 12,000 he was towing.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

8. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    My friend, a farmer takes great pride in making do. He manages a 600 acre property with an old battered Ford Ranger. His son is a nurse at the regional hospital, drives a Toyota 1/2 ton, bought a tandem axle dump trailer. The father hauls EVERYTHING behind the ranger! I needed some power poles. He suggested I steal some from the power company.

They had been replaced, and were piled waiting on a grinder. I asked the power company, the answer was NO. I declined to do that. Theft, even of something headed for a landfill is not my way.

A pile of poles appeared on my property. He said he had trouble as the rear of the truck kept coming off the ground, the poles were sticking so far off the rear of the trailer.

Another time I bought some 17' Locust logs from him. I'd have been happy to transport, that was the plan. He showed up with 5 logs 12" diameter at top end sticking 11 feet past the rear of the Ranger pickup. Said he had to touch the brake a few times to bring the front wheels back down.

Another friend once sent a picture of him towing a mini excavator down a four lane highway. I don't know the tow rating of a four cylinder Ranger, I'd bet less than the 12,000 he was towing.
    Knew a guy that treated an early '80s Chevy El Camino about the same way. He would not buy a pickup because the El Camino rode so nice. I don't see how it rode good being on the axle stops most of the time.

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Knew a guy that treated an early '80s Chevy El Camino about the same way. He would not buy a pickup because the El Camino rode so nice. I don't see how it rode good being on the axle stops most of the time.
    I haven't crawled under that Ranger, I'd bet what I would find. Wooden suspension components are cheaper. This guy owns 15 tractors. First modification he makes is a wood battery mount easily accessed. One battery, 15 tractors, you gotta be able to move that battery quick!

Most also have some sort of makeshift ladder to mount.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

12. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What has always amazed me, This whole family, two large dairy farms, incorporated, wealthy people, don't believe in registration. They don't insure anything. I guess they are self insured.

14. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  119330607_667363517231912_4659953824652956566_o.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  131.9 KB

does everything I need generally.... 25' tilt deck trailer and compound turbo'd 5.9 12 valve Dodge (yes it has been well north of the speedos limitations LOL!) the trailers rated for 12k lbs as far as semis.... yea all my life but then I also used to move manufactured houses 18'x80' sections... the tilt deck/Dodge combo is like dragging a 4x8 utility trailer around

edit... and yea there is a 12k winch mounted in that tool box on front of the trailer.....

16. Likes ronsii, 12V71, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like my hobby is moving heavy stuff sometimes, not playing with tools.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Well, if you know a fella who might be handy with welding and such stuff, you could possibly cobble something together that looks kinda like this.....
    I have a similar one from Northern mounted on a utility trailer. It was like $175 with free shipping on sale. I never fully finished the install, but enough for it to be functional. Has been very handy. Plan to modify it someday when I get time to run on an electric hydraulic pump, its setup for air over hydraulic now, just don't always have air. Ill grab a pic when I get out of prison.....I mean work.

I also have a 20' full tilt trailer that gets used a lot for rolling stock and some not. Have a winch waiting to go on it, I just keep grabbing a come along instead. I also want to modify the control to run off one of those Amazon crane controllers, again.....time. Could not find a pic of it tilited up, but had this one of it hauling the off road fork truck (pulled with a Ford!).

Name:  IMG_6623.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  79.5 KB

This one is not mine, but same brand. I think this one might be the 10k model. I have the 14k. They are a mid to lower end build quality, there are nicer ones available for a lot more $. I don't use it everyday or every month for that matter, but it has held up fine for my needs. I would really like one of those sliding axle goose necks!

For heavy stuff I rent a Air-Tow drop deck from a local rental shop. Its $100 for the day or all weekend if you get it Friday. You can roll about anything that will fit on it on and off. Below is a recent move of a 8k lb VMC using machine skates and bars. Me and one other guy picked up, loaded, and unloaded in about 2 hours. The load/unload is a little slow because we use a come along both directions. Its necessary going up, but most important going down. That ramp looks short, but put a couple k on skates and it likes to take off down it, found that out the hard way!

Name:  IMG_8298.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8300.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8309.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  123.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like this…

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ram/5500...1223193418148/

12 foot deck with 4 foot pullouts.

The price is in USD. Handy to have but would need to hire a driver and find work for it to justify the cost. One step forward and two steps backward …over the cliff. LOL
    :

19. Likes 12V71, SweetMK, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the white truck in post 22. I like the Hawjeye trailer in 34, gonna watch that later and while the truck in last pic is nice the bed is too short. This is about as handy as it gets, would like a newer one, heavier crane and little longer bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Small truck crane tucks neatly away when your done

Name:  ECE5068D-EE3A-4C2E-AB88-950283B20136.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  F03E9D67-520B-43E9-B56A-39FEC7EDCB73.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  116.1 KB

22. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Small truck crane tucks neatly away when your done

Name:  ECE5068D-EE3A-4C2E-AB88-950283B20136.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  F03E9D67-520B-43E9-B56A-39FEC7EDCB73.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  116.1 KB
    Yes! I like that!

:

24. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Yes! I like that!

Glad you like it and it’s wasn’t expensive either, Norther Tool. Had everything, short truck crane $69, winch is manual or electric powered was $79, the crane is rated at 1000 lbs, and the winch states 2000 lbs, have one in the back of both Broncos. It folds up over the wheel well nicely. In an open bed truck you can easily add a manual winch, or set it up where the electric winch is slide on and store it in the tool box. A buddy’s of mine did that for loading his fifth wheel hitch.

26. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    It is. Behind a crew cab F450 it's pretty long though.

Attachment 1716613
    Is that an old soviet barn with that red star on it?
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Doi the other truckers tease you about the Ranger? Kind of like moving from a Harley to a Moped isnt it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Doi the other truckers tease you about the Ranger? Kind of like moving from a Harley to a Moped isnt it?
    Nope. No teasing. They either don't "see" me or ignore me.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Lift deck / drop deck trailer

with a winch

6 foot bar, a milk crate full of wood packing, toe jack,

Wheel dolly set
    Don't buy it here, make that.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0090099p.html

31. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kid I grew up with was arrested for numerous thefts, & marijuana possession charges. He's now 65 years old.
    He moved to Florida, became a locksmith. If I told some stories, he might be without customers.
    He has that trailer for vault doors & safes.
    There's also the "Danby Corvette Club", a group of old people who were once ne'er do well teenagers, ALL have antique Jeeps. I'm the only dropout. They spend two weeks a year touring in clunker Jeeps. I think about it, I'm the only one with wife, offspring, & (now) a grandchild.
    He travels annually with his Jeep on that trailer. I'm most impressed with the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

You can make a portable hoist that will fit in the receiver hitch. It’s what I used on my welding cart, it will probably max out at about 500lbs if that.

Name:  BA7FA5BE-97FF-4F10-9FFA-1626D4B74A87.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  164.8 KB

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it, but I would want at least one support leg under it.... maybe on a removable screw jack.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great 👍

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    You can make a portable hoist that will fit in the receiver hitch. It’s what I used on my welding cart, it will probably max out at about 500lbs if that.

Name:  BA7FA5BE-97FF-4F10-9FFA-1626D4B74A87.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  164.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I like it, but I would want at least one support leg under it.... maybe on a removable screw jack.

Made it to be portable and easy to move about easy to load and unload I have replaced knees and a bad back. Built it to load deer and hogs into my truck by myself, not to load engines. You can add to it, it’s easy to make it like you want yours to be.

38. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Lift deck / drop deck trailer

with a winch

6 foot bar, a milk crate full of wood packing, toe jack,

Wheel dolly set
    Don't buy it here, make that.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0090099p.html

That's pretty slick! A great way to move machine equipment such as milling machines and lathes.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

And mother in law in wheelchair !

:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist