Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Track torch used as welding tractor?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Has any of you guys used a track torch like this one as a welding tractor to mig weld long runs with? I cannot find an affordable option other than buying one of these then trying to set it up for mig welding!

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torch-Track...gAAOSweIRdnTW4

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Have done, and it works very well.

    Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Awesome! I think im gona try it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Delavan WI
    Posts
    493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    We need pics and play by play.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Usually just needs a different holder for the Mig gun.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ceres, California
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    They make a machine miggun that should bolt right up. Might be able to fit right in the torch mount. No modification needed. Talk to the tech support at the track burner company you wish to buy from. they wil know what fits, and how to order.
    The local welding supply store may give you a hard time if you don't already have a part number of the miggun.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Yes Tweco makes MIG guns that fit's in place of the torch.

    I have use a lot in past up to 40foot welds

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by workshoprat View Post
    Has any of you guys used a track torch like this one as a welding tractor to mig weld long runs with? I cannot find an affordable option other than buying one of these then trying to set it up for mig welding!

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torch-Track...gAAOSweIRdnTW4
    Last edited by smithdoor; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:46 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Great info guys! Im gona go ahead and buy one. I plan on building my own dump boxes! Only thing im concerned about is controlling heat warpage and pulling on a long run. Maybe pre heat with propane torch? Hate to heat to much with hardox 450.

  9. Likes ronsii liked this post
  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    The track is great purchased
    I had a Victor for about 20 years.
    Used it for cutting plate and welding.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by workshoprat View Post
    Great info guys! Im gona go ahead and buy one. I plan on building my own dump boxes! Only thing im concerned about is controlling heat warpage and pulling on a long run. Maybe pre heat with propane torch? Hate to heat to much with hardox 450.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pitman PA
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Quote Originally Posted by workshoprat View Post
    Has any of you guys used a track torch like this one as a welding tractor to mig weld long runs with? I cannot find an affordable option other than buying one of these then trying to set it up for mig welding!

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torch-Track...gAAOSweIRdnTW4
    It works good in a shop environment where evrything is fit up nice. There was some fellas tried this on one of those CAT 777 we been workin on, they made a royal mess of the whole damn thing, this is one of the many reasons they got run off and they called us to fix it up. We had to cut out evry piece of iron they "welded" on that truck clean it up and start over from scratch, we been there ever since doin all their haultrucks.

    So make sure it fit up good with new iron and it is clean, it dont work to good on heavy iron out in the field

  12. Likes ronsii liked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Use lots of tacks. Preheat won't stop warpage and is a waste on a dump box unless it's for a mining truck. If warpage is a problem may have to skip weld to control heat input and the machine wouldn't be much benefit. Are you going to build just standard dump boxes? A track cutter/welder seems like a pricey tool for building dump boxes. Sometimes you just have to get on hands and knee's and go to it.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    I agree
    Tack be for welding if can clamp too.
    I like using 18" wide flange for horses. Easy to clamp to and about the right height for most work.
    Watch were you cut to easy to cut something you do not want cut.

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Use lots of tacks. Preheat won't stop warpage and is a waste on a dump box unless it's for a mining truck. If warpage is a problem may have to skip weld to control heat input and the machine wouldn't be much benefit. Are you going to build just standard dump boxes? A track cutter/welder seems like a pricey tool for building dump boxes. Sometimes you just have to get on hands and knee's and go to it.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Dump box will be built out of 1/4" thick hardox material. No cross stringers or uprights. I should get everything i need from two 8' x 24' sheets. Then two 8x4 tubes on bottom frame. Two 4x4 tubes top of sides. And 8x4 tube across and up the back. Pretty common way boxes are built now. Of course most have curved corners but i dont have a way to do that.

  16. Likes ronsii liked this post
  17. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    The curved or angled sides stop material from getting stuck in the corners.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    On demo boxes like that the curves have many advantages. Partly to keep material from sticking but it also adds srength for impact resistance and anything that hits it has more of a deflection angle on impact. I am gona go with angled pieces in the botom corners. About an 8.5" wide strip. I looked at getting it rolled but thats alot of added expense and without being able to do it myself i cannot get any garuntee of consistency to where im not wasting a $2200 shet of steel!

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    The track torch is best for straight cutting and welding.

    It is first cut or welded is worst. Then you see how easy it is to use.
    I would first start on a piece of scrap.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by workshoprat View Post
    On demo boxes like that the curves have many advantages. Partly to keep material from sticking but it also adds srength for impact resistance and anything that hits it has more of a deflection angle on impact. I am gona go with angled pieces in the botom corners. About an 8.5" wide strip. I looked at getting it rolled but thats alot of added expense and without being able to do it myself i cannot get any garuntee of consistency to where im not wasting a $2200 shet of steel!

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Track torch used as welding tractor?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    The track torch is best for straight cutting and welding.

    It is first cut or welded is worst. Then you see how easy it is to use.
    I would first start on a piece of scrap.

    Dave
    Absolutely! I always perfect my setup on scrap before jumping into a project! In homebuilt aircraft i run into it all the time where a guy buys a welder or oxy acetylene and jumps right in on a project with no practice whatsoever and then wonders why his project looks like cobbled together bird ****! And funny how they will almost always claim they got some bad chineese 4130 or something!

  21. Likes ronsii liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,490,988.14127 seconds with 14 queries