+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driveshaft phasing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Driveshaft phasing

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Both ends of the 4' long Yokes are aligned. Can't change that without cutting & welding. 3' section I've tried both phased the same & 90 degree. I can't say which is better. My theory is the front & rear joints have very little angularity, I think a few degrees. There wouldn't be much oscillation at this angle. Not sure how to measure the trans & differential angle precisely, to my eye, they are very close to matched.
    Are the motor or transmission mounts going? That can cause weird stuff under a load.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

2. Likes rlitman, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Are the motor or transmission mounts going? That can cause weird stuff under a load.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    They look good. That was an early suggestion, checked a while ago. I've been using it several trips over the weekend, I can't help feeling it behaves like a driveshaft issue. I still haven't found time to replace two of the three U joints. I've tried swiveling on the spline with little change.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

4. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They look good. That was an early suggestion, checked a while ago. I've been using it several trips over the weekend, I can't help feeling it behaves like a driveshaft issue. I still haven't found time to replace two of the three U joints. I've tried swiveling on the spline with little change.
    Sometimes you have to get in there with a breaker bar test them under a load and check them out. I had that happen once, I was afraid to put any more pressure on them with a bar, I couldn't figure out what it was. Finally, a young kid put it up on the lift with me in the truck and I braked and goosed it at the same time and he said "motor mounts" that fixed it. It caused the truck to shimmy and shake. And it also caused some exhaust sounds every now and then. I truly hope you find out what it is. I know how much I hate mystery **** in a six or ten thousand pound bullet.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

6. Likes MinnesotaDave, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always change the universals, you don't want to go pole vaulting.

Sincerely,

William McCormick.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Sometimes you have to get in there with a breaker bar test them under a load and check them out. I had that happen once, I was afraid to put any more pressure on them with a bar, I couldn't figure out what it was. Finally, a young kid put it up on the lift with me in the truck and I braked and goosed it at the same time and he said "motor mounts" that fixed it. It caused the truck to shimmy and shake. And it also caused some exhaust sounds every now and then. I truly hope you find out what it is. I know how much I hate mystery **** in a six or ten thousand pound bullet.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    28,000Lb bullet.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure the rear end is inline with the rest of the truck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Are you sure the rear end is inline with the rest of the truck?
    Are you referring to wheel alignment? Rear wheels perpendicular to frame, and centered behind front?

Post Thanks / Like

No, I am reffering to is the rear end housing on plane with the front axel and centered with the front axel.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and yes. The rear axle was moved forward a bit. Several rechecks have been performed to ensure no errors were made. With only minor deviation all is parallel, centered, and aligned.

Based on my measure, the transmission output is within a degree of parallel with the differential pinion. It is a truck, it doesn't turn at high speed, but every angle to be considered is parallel, or very close. Tires & wheels have been balanced & checked for run out, sideways & radius. No explanation for the shake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    No, I am reffering to is the rear end housing on plane with the front axel and centered with the front axel.
    Yeah, I see where you're going. If the pinion yoke is pointing anywhere from absolute parallel to the frame, you have misalignment. Up and down variances are a different matter. But, even that can cause problems..........think about the kids that lift their jeeps 24" without changing the pinion angle..........mondo problems.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as driveshaft speeds.............a truck doesn't differ much form what a car does. The main difference is the ring gear, and ratio. Shaft turns same speed, but "moves" the truck forward less inches per rev than a higher geared car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    As far as driveshaft speeds.............a truck doesn't differ much form what a car does. The main difference is the ring gear, and ratio. Shaft turns same speed, but "moves" the truck forward less inches per rev than a higher geared car.
    Actually, the van I drive every day is an OD machine with a ridiculous top two gears being OD. I remember 6th as something stupid like 1:1.59. When the engine is turning 3000 RPM, the shaft is nearer 4770. This old diesel spins maybe 2500 top speed. I get all the shaking at nearer 1600 RPM.

My thinking is that something exotic in the drivetrain is happening, or one of the joints that has not yet been replaced needs to be.

Of late, my world has been about triage. It's hard to fix vibration when your leg fell off. Yes, an exaggeration, Just a lot happening at the current time on my plate. Too much stuff I have to attend to, a functional truck with a nagging flaw doesn't take center stage, so to speak.

17. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought too... until it dropped the driveshaft on the ground...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

19. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist