+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    My concern was running with a good charger unplugged.
    Would you explain this, further? I don't understand your meaning. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Would you explain this, further? I don't understand your meaning. Thanks.
    I think he means... My concern was running with a good charger (alternator)unplugged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I think.... fuel pressure on those is around 40-60psi??? HF has a generic fuel pressure test kit I have used on mine.
    I'll just hook up a clear fish tank line to the fuel rail shrader valve and cycle the key several times to see what kind of volume I'm getting at the injectors. If not much volume I'll investigate fuel related problems if not stick with electrical sources. It is looking like electrical. New plugs, cap and rotar and still doing same thing. I figgured it wouldn't be as easy as changing plugs and rotor/cap. One cylinder has no light or spark while another keeps the timing light lit constantly. It's just flickering fast like it's flashing on for every cylinder that sparks. I'll change some wires from one cylinder to another first to rule out if the problem follows the plug wire or not.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-23-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he means... My concern was running with a good charger (alternator)unplugged.
    Yes This ^
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m actually smelling unburned raw fuel through the exhaust while running. Indicating it’s not a fuel delivery problem. I’m leaning towards the pick up coil in the distributor.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be EGR issues as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Could be EGR issues as well.
    Can this be confirmed without replacing the EGR valve?

Post Thanks / Like

Can this be confirmed without replacing the EGR valve?
    On old style EGR valve can be tested just by seeing if it holds vacuum.

Then if it does, at idle pull a vacuum on the EGR valve and the motor should instantly run like crap (or at least worse).

If it doesn't, then it's stuck.

Some people "test" them by removing, cutting an aluminum solid gasket from a pop can, reinstalling and seeing if the problem is corrected.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

9. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a set of factory wires from a Ford dealer out of Amarillo through Amazon at about $25 savings.

Cyl #5 had hardly any spark when checked with a timing light and some of the boots were cracking at the ends where they slip over the plugs. I know it's a long shot but definitely worth a shot. I just hate having to wait a week or more for the wires to arrive. To know before doing any other diagnostics. Don't like running it like this cause I dont want to burn up the cats. So it'll sit parked once again.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-24-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m actually smelling unburned raw fuel through the exhaust while running. Indicating it’s not a fuel delivery problem. I’m leaning towards the pick up coil in the distributor.
    Just so you know the fuel system on my 5.8 95' worktruck WILL run very rich when the fuel pressure is not up where it should be... so make sure you got close to the the spec. pressure.

12. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok fuel pump and filter are about 2 years old. Did not change out psi regulator though.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok fuel pump and filter are about 2 years old. Did not change out psi regulator though.
    On mine it has the two fuel tanks and there is a common issue where the fuel pump/s will let fuel backfeed and this in turn lowers the psi getting to the injectors and creates a rich condition. The regulator is an easy change to little bolts and an oring make sure you depressurize the shrader first if it holds pressure... does your start right up after sitting a while or over night?

16. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes fires right up everytime. Never an issue

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a duel tanked f-series in the junk yard and instantly got to thinking it would he cool to do a dual tank mod by adding the front mounted 17 gallon tank. That idea was quickly shot down after a few FSB members chimed in with comments that it wont fit.

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a duel tanked f-series in the junk yard and instantly got to thinking it would he cool to do a dual tank mod by adding the front mounted 17 gallon tank. That idea was quickly shot down after a few FSB members chimed in with comments that it wont fit.
    A little frame lengthening and you'd be good

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to make a hard pass on that idea. Perhaps I can make a stow away fuel can holder that allows me to deploy it for fueling up the bronco on the trails. Basically holds the fuel cans upside down. I'd have a on off valve to keep from spilling fuel all over the place including on me. It's just an idea. I liked the added second tank idea as it would add redundancy for fuel pump issues and give me more travel distance at the flip of a switch.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-24-2020 at 09:13 PM.

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to make a hard pass on that idea. Perhaps I can make a stow away fuel can holder that allows me to deploy it for fueling up the bronco on the trails. Basically holds the fuel cans upside down. I'd have a on off valve to keep from spilling fuel all over the place including on me. It's just an idea. I liked the added second tank idea as it would add redundancy for fuel pump issues and give me more travel distance at the flip of a switch.
    You should get under there and see just how much room you got for any kind of tank.... you could always find a smaller tank from some other ford car or something that could be adapted to the ford two tank system... the redundancy thing is always good... the problem is it also adds other things that can fail My old 77' f150 ex cab had two tanks... but just an engine mechanical pump.. so when I'd run one tank dry I'd better be going at least 45 mph level or you'd run out of speed before the fuel got primed in the system My 88' f250 excab had a pump in each tank plus a pump on the frame rail right beneath the drivers seat... had the rear pump go out once and just switch tanks and was good to go!!! but had the frame pump go out a couple times... both times it left me on the side of the road

25. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding other type of tanks came up in the 19 post discussion I started about it over at FSB forum https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threa.../#post-7326999

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You should get under there and see just how much room you got for any kind of tank.... you could always find a smaller tank from some other ford car or something that could be adapted to the ford two tank system... the redundancy thing is always good... the problem is it also adds other things that can fail My old 77' f150 ex cab had two tanks... but just an engine mechanical pump.. so when I'd run one tank dry I'd better be going at least 45 mph level or you'd run out of speed before the fuel got primed in the system My 88' f250 excab had a pump in each tank plus a pump on the frame rail right beneath the drivers seat... had the rear pump go out once and just switch tanks and was good to go!!! but had the frame pump go out a couple times... both times it left me on the side of the road
    There is the possibility of a larger aftermarket tank. I had a "Desert Dynamics" tank in my '72 Blazer that was nearly 40 gallons and came with it's own skid plate.

29. Likes N2 Welding, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    There is the possibility of a larger aftermarket tank. I had a "Desert Dynamics" tank in my '72 Blazer that was nearly 40 gallons and came with it's own skid plate.
    That was mentioned in the discussion on FEB and how they don't think they make them anymore.

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    On old style EGR valve can be tested just by seeing if it holds vacuum.

Then if it does, at idle pull a vacuum on the EGR valve and the motor should instantly run like crap (or at least worse).

If it doesn't, then it's stuck.

Some people "test" them by removing, cutting an aluminum solid gasket from a pop can, reinstalling and seeing if the problem is corrected.
    I like the idea of using a soda can as a plate to seal off the egr valve. It'd work as long as the valve does not protrude below the egr housing mounting surface.

33. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I forgot all about those almost did that years ago

35. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was mentioned in the discussion on FEB and how they don't think they make them anymore.
    That sucks, Maybe a bigger OEM pickup tank that fits? or maybe use an Excursion tank? Just bombing ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

502 error: post fix

38. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My '77 Ford had the dual tanks too - manual selector behind the seat where I could just reach it when the fuel ran dry in tank 1.

Drove that truck all over the country when in the air force, it's been waiting for me to rebuild the truck since the 90's...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

40. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist