Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 188

Thread: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Yes I recall reading something like 15-16 ft lb of torque but when I saw the leak I panicked and started tightening them even more even though I torqued them to spec. :/

    Here is a Felpro Composit Gasket I'm looking at getting in the morning.

    This time I'll bring the trans oil pan with me to make sure the gasket fits correctly. What sux is the money I wasted on that gasket. Napa Probably won't take it back for a refund now that it's been used.

    https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/transmission-pan-gasket-a-t/fel-pro-transmission-pan-gasket-a-t-tos18714/323949_342880_26641
    Main thing to check when you put the gasket on the pan is make SURE the gasket fits loosely around the hole dimples!!!! it canNOT sit on top of them!!!!

    And if possible check if your pan is flat.. if you have something really flat you can sit it on just to make sure it isn't really warped or something a little warping shouldn't matter as the bolts can still seal it as long as they can be tightened to the spec.. but any bends or dings in the pan's flat perimeter can be a problem.... and might be why there was sealant on it when you removed it...

  2. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
  3. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Main thing to check when you put the gasket on the pan is make SURE the gasket fits loosely around the hole dimples!!!! it canNOT sit on top of them!!!!

    And if possible check if your pan is flat.. if you have something really flat you can sit it on just to make sure it isn't really warped or something a little warping shouldn't matter as the bolts can still seal it as long as they can be tightened to the spec.. but any bends or dings in the pan's flat perimeter can be a problem.... and might be why there was sealant on it when you removed it...
    I'll stick it on my welding table top and look at it to see if it has any warp to it. I thought I looked at it and it looked good but I'll have to check again after welding on it today. I'm sure it's the wrong gasket now that you mentioned the newer reusable gasket won't work on the dimpled pans. I'm 100% certain that's the problem. It has to be. It was pouring out like a water fall.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    The more I think about your pan having sealant on it the more I think that's the wrong gasket..... they should never need sealant unless you're reusing one of the cork ones

    I gonna say you'll find the rubber gasket is sitting on top of the hole dimples....

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I'll stick it on my welding table top and look at it to see if it has any warp to it. I thought I looked at it and it looked good but I'll have to check again after welding on it today. I'm sure it's the wrong gasket now that you mentioned the newer reusable gasket won't work on the dimpled pans. I'm 100% certain that's the problem. It has to be. It was pouring out like a water fall.
    Just the word waterfall tells me you got the wrong gasket I learned this the hard way many years ago

  6. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
  7. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    The holes were stretched out a little come to think of it. The gasket was not slathered with it. Just one or two corners had it on there. Looks like it was just to hold it in place.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  8. Likes ronsii liked this post
  9. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    The new gasket I got today is thin or not as wide and is ribbed or has two sets of ribs one on the inside and one on the outside on both top and bottom. Now the gasket I pulled off was just a flat rubber gasket "no ribs or metal inside the gasket" like the one Ford showed me today but Fords gasket was cork.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  10. Likes ronsii liked this post
  11. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The holes were stretched out a little come to think of it. The gasket was not slathered with it. Just one or two corners had it on there. Looks like it was just to hold it in place.
    Hmmmm.... I wonder if someone modified a gasket???? I ended up just helicoiling all the holes on my E4OD's when I was doing them... because at first just a few holes would strip then the next time I had the pan off a few more would strip so on the next ones I just figured it would save a lot of frustration by just doing them all ahead of time

  12. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Hmmmm.... I wonder if someone modified a gasket???? I ended up just helicoiling all the holes on my E4OD's when I was doing them... because at first just a few holes would strip then the next time I had the pan off a few more would strip so on the next ones I just figured it would save a lot of frustration by just doing them all ahead of time

    Don't jinx me.

    Ok off to bed. Been a long day for me...
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  13. Likes ronsii liked this post
  14. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The new gasket I got today is thin or not as wide and is ribbed or has two sets of ribs one on the inside and one on the outside on both top and bottom. Now the gasket I pulled off was just a flat rubber gasket "no ribs or metal inside the gasket" like the one Ford showed me today but Fords gasket was cork.
    Ohhh. yeah... the ribbed ones USUALLY have the metal in them that the dimpled pans will hit... and not get close enough to the housing. But... I do seem to remember there were similar ones with bigger opening for the bolts that would not interfere with the dimples in the pan??? of course I could be thinking of something entirely different...

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    So I just purchased a Felpro composite gasket. It has the right kind of fit. However the instructions says to use a light amount of gasket sealer. Is this right? Everyone else says not to use sealant.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  16. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    I put the felpro on with out any silicone rtv per instructions that came with the gasket and filled the transmission with Mercon. It looks much better and not leaking like a waterfall.

    I still have the problem with it stalling the engine when shift lever is placed in drive. So at least now it has a new filter and oil. :/

    Moving forward now I'm hoping anyone that might of ever dealt with a E4OD issue that causes the engine to stall when the truck in placed in drive but you could still put it in reverse or L1 to get going and shift to L2 then drive and so on as the vehicle speed increased?

    Also does anyone know of the type of Acid that is suppose to be good for removing oil stains from concrete driveways etc?

    This is my new driveway

    Name:  20200927_134419.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  63.0 KB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-27-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  17. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Powdered laundry detergent and a scrub brush or something like this.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Off...G820/300723090

  18. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Do NOT use acid for that type of stain!!!!

    Get a bag or two of the diatomas earth(oil absorbent)... whatever thy call it at NAPA I think it's about 15 bucks for a 20-25 pound bag....or some guys just buy kitty litter at wally mart...etc...

    sprinkle it on(about a quarter to eighth inch thick) a dry day or two(no rain) and let it absorb you may need to 'grind' it in just walk on it a bit to powder it up some.... Am not sure how the red dye that is in tranny fluid will go??? might take a bit to get it out... I also wouldn't scrub on the crete until after you get most of the oil absorbed out... scrubbing will just smear it around for the most part

    Have done quite a bit of 'stain' oil removal from concrete at our accounts when they get picky... but it's usually motor oil not mercon... but the NAPA 'kitty litter' will get most if not all of it out might take a few days of sitting and maybe a few applications... it also works when one of the guys spills 10 gallons of red fuel on the pavement heh hehh heh

    Oh, once the 'kitty litter' has absorbed broom it up then finish with a shop vac or blower depending on the neighbors
    Last edited by ronsii; 09-27-2020 at 10:20 PM.

  19. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Acid(muriatic/hydrochloric) will eat the concrete!!! and change the finish... so if you use acid on crete make sure you do it evenly for the most part only use acid for rust/mineral stains!!! but you can also use it to change the finish of the crete surface from garage smooth to a sanded look.

  20. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    As for the stalling issue in drive... the E4OD is electronic and controls the idle on the vehicle... if the switch(located on the driverside of the tranny about in the middle just above the pan edge) is faulty it may not know to up the idle... most OBDII scanners will show what switches are doing if you have one put it on and with it running put in drive(make sure you block the wheels or set park brake first!!!) same thing if you go under the vehicle and go to remove the switch!!! as you can accidentally shift the tranny out of park!!! and I see your driveway is got some slope to it
    It does NOT sound like a tranny issue other than possibly the switch I mentioned... as the only thing that will make it stall is the torque converter going bad and that would do the same in R,L,D,etc...unless the computer is telling the converter to 'lock up'.. or maybe... the solenoid is trying to lock up the converter clutch because of a valve issue or something....????
    Last edited by ronsii; 09-27-2020 at 10:24 PM.

  21. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    I have trans tech manuals for the E4OD's and 4R100's and also the update manuals if you need any info from them let me know I snap some pics or something

  22. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Napa part number 8822 for the floor dry. Converter lockup was the first to come to mind but might not be the issue. Hard to diagnose via the internet.

  23. Likes ronsii liked this post
  24. #68
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Do NOT use acid for that type of stain!!!!

    Get a bag or two of the diatomas earth(oil absorbent)... whatever thy call it at NAPA I think it's about 15 bucks for a 20-25 pound bag....or some guys just buy kitty litter at wally mart...etc...

    sprinkle it on(about a quarter to eighth inch thick) a dry day or two(no rain) and let it absorb you may need to 'grind' it in just walk on it a bit to powder it up some.... Am not sure how the red dye that is in tranny fluid will go??? might take a bit to get it out... I also wouldn't scrub on the crete until after you get most of the oil absorbed out... scrubbing will just smear it around for the most part

    Have done quite a bit of 'stain' oil removal from concrete at our accounts when they get picky... but it's usually motor oil not mercon... but the NAPA 'kitty litter' will get most if not all of it out might take a few days of sitting and maybe a few applications... it also works when one of the guys spills 10 gallons of red fuel on the pavement heh hehh heh

    Oh, once the 'kitty litter' has absorbed broom it up then finish with a shop vac or blower depending on the neighbors
    A healthy dose of BrakeKleen just before you sprinkle the floor dry helps pull the oil out too.

  25. Likes ronsii liked this post
  26. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Napa part number 8822 for the floor dry. Converter lockup was the first to come to mind but might not be the issue. Hard to diagnose via the internet.
    Have had that happen with dodge cummins on their 48RE series.. but again it affects all selections except Neutral... well... and Park of course
    Last edited by ronsii; 09-27-2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added park :)

  27. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    A healthy dose of BrakeKleen just before you sprinkle the floor dry helps pull the oil out too.

    LOL... I thought you were going to say "and a lit match"

  28. #71
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    LOL... I thought you were going to say "and a lit match"
    I have a certain amount of experience with that, tend to leave trails of black oil dribbles at times pulling down truck engines. My linen service only has white coveralls in 100% cotton, so by 8am I usually look like a Dalmation.

  29. Likes ronsii liked this post
  30. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    As for the stalling issue in drive... the E4OD is electronic and controls the idle on the vehicle... if the switch(located on the driverside of the tranny about in the middle just above the pan edge) is faulty it may not know to up the idle... most OBDII scanners will show what switches are doing if you have one put it on and with it running put in drive(make sure you block the wheels or set park brake first!!!) same thing if you go under the vehicle and go to remove the switch!!! as you can accidentally shift the tranny out of park!!! and I see your driveway is got some slope to it
    It does NOT sound like a tranny issue other than possibly the switch I mentioned... as the only thing that will make it stall is the torque converter going bad and that would do the same in R,L,D,etc...unless the computer is telling the converter to 'lock up'.. or maybe... the solenoid is trying to lock up the converter clutch because of a valve issue or something....????

    This is a 1995 so I missed out on ODBII by that much. I have the ODBI scan tool and I did pull codes and one of them is directly related to the issue.

    Here are the codes I pulled

    211 = Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) circuit fault
    629 = Converter clutch solenoid circuit failure or lock-up solenoid circuit fault
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  31. Likes ronsii liked this post
  32. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    This is a 1995 so I missed out on ODBII by that much. I have the ODBI scan tool and I did pull codes and one of them is directly related to the issue.

    Here are the codes I pulled

    211 = Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) circuit fault
    629 = Converter clutch solenoid circuit failure or lock-up solenoid circuit fault
    This could also be a wiring issue directly related to the solenoid or it's harness... not necessarily the solenoid itself... there were also problems with the diodes/connections inside the tranny(just above the 2valve block)

  33. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Montana
    Posts
    928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I put the felpro on with out any silicone rtv per instructions that came with the gasket and filled the transmission with Mercon. It looks much better and not leaking like a waterfall.

    I still have the problem with it stalling the engine when shift lever is placed in drive. So at least now it has a new filter and oil. :/

    Moving forward now I'm hoping anyone that might of ever dealt with a E4OD issue that causes the engine to stall when the truck in placed in drive but you could still put it in reverse or L1 to get going and shift to L2 then drive and so on as the vehicle speed increased?

    Also does anyone know of the type of Acid that is suppose to be good for removing oil stains from concrete driveways etc?

    This is my new driveway

    Name:  20200927_134419.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  63.0 KB
    Cover the oil spill with fine kitty litter. Then, saturate the litter with lacquer thinner. When it's dry just sweep it up, and save it to use again. This method works so well you won't be able see where the oil was. If you should decide to use this method inside of a garage, be careful to avoid anything that might cause ignition of the thinner, or you might remove the garage along with the spill.

  34. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfield,CT
    Posts
    1,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

    PIP code. I used to replace tons of ignition modules along with the pickup coil in the distributor. Pretty easy to do. Pull the distributor. Knock out the roll pin. Pull the gear off. Then take the shaft out to replace the pickup coil. Reverse process to put it all back together. Don't forget a new ignition module. Your stalling could be EGR related. Take the EGR valve off and clean the carbon out of it.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,606,241,566.99336 seconds with 13 queries