Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

Usually something like that is just for physical support(anti-vibe) of the component it is in contact with... unless there is something else??? under it...

Happy 7K day !!!!

2. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Took the Bronco and girlfriend to Prairie City "Hang Town" near Sacramento today. Had some fun racing around the track, I was getting sideways around turns fishtailing the corners. Then did some slow crawling over the little hills I could and on some of them I ended up spinning the rear wheels over a couple. 4x4 is not working atm.

Girlfriend wanted to drive but the slop in the steering wheel from the loose tilt column made her not want to as it is. Can't say I blame her one bit. We still had fun with just me driving. Cant wait to get this thing rock crawler ready or at least 4x4 working so I can slow crawl the hills safely and not get stuck in mud.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-03-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazon $5.99

Post Thanks / Like

Kmart blue light special $2.67
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Crawled under the truck today and determined why the 4x4 was not working. Electric transfer case works as it should. The front auto locking hubs are the problem. Time to install the Warn manual lockers.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Crawled under the truck today and determined why the 4x4 was not working. Electric transfer case works as it should. The front auto locking hubs are the problem. Time to install the Warn manual lockers.

I put a set of these dynaloc's on the dana60 I have under the front of my F250 powersmoke.
    Name:  Dynatrac-DynaLoc-Locking-Hub-Category.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  37.6 KB
    https://www.dynatrac.com/accessories/dynaloc-hubs.html

Although I do gotta say.. I really like driving someones else rig that still have automatic hubs... I just put t in 4wheel and go!!! don't have to get out and lock em... same for unlocking

Oh... One other thing with these sometimes it can be a little hard to turn them.. especially if you're wearing gloves or have recently hurt your hand So I have thought about makeing a 'tool' that would fit in them kinda like a pinwrench... but still haven't done it ... maybe one of these days ... only think about it when I have to lock them... and that's few and far between
    Last edited by ronsii; 10-04-2020 at 04:37 PM.

10. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I put a set of these dynaloc's on the dana60 I have under the front of my F250 powersmoke.

Although I do gotta say.. I really like driving someones else rig that still have automatic hubs... I just put t in 4wheel and go!!! don't have to get out and lock em... same for unlocking

Oh... One other thing with these sometimes it can be a little hard to turn them.. especially if you're wearing gloves or have recently hurt your hand So I have thought about makeing a 'tool' that would fit in them kinda like a pinwrench... but still haven't done it ... maybe one of these days ... only think about it when I have to lock them... and that's few and far between
    I already have the Warn Locking kit. I grabbed it over a year ago at the junk yard off of another Bronco. I have new Castle nuts and everything needed to do the swap. Just need to get off my arse and do it.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I already have the Warn Locking kit. I grabbed it over a year ago at the junk yard off of another Bronco. I have new Castle nuts and everything needed to do the swap. Just need to get off my arse and do it.
    LOL!!!! you're about as bad as me I have a new cylinder kit I got about 20 years ago for one of the chainsaws.... one of these days I'll get around to fixing it

14. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well in my defense I did not know what I know now about the bronco a year ago when the bronco started the stalling problems :/ I wasn't going to go putting all kinds of effort into it since it was a dead horse well kind of any way but yeah I have a million projects I need to get my arse in gear on. Finish shed, clean out garage, clean back yard etc etc etc. reapulster and carpet boat. add winch to bronco, fix a ton of things on a lot of things around here etc etc you know... The kind of stuff that does not pay me to do it other than I don't have to pay some one else to do it.

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Took the Bronco and girlfriend to Prairie City "Hang Town" near Sacramento today. Had
    i kinda think of placerville as "hangtown". i spent over a week on a state job there a few yrs ago, dining w/ the locals at night in old downtown taverns near that bautiful old courthouse (still in use), that handled law and order, the way it should still be done. up to a couple yrs ago, there was a" black dummy" on permenat display w/ a noose aroung its kneck hanging in front of a tavern that could be viewed driving by. the city council dont like the covid19 there either. there is a restraunt that has a sign in front of it, saying "no masks allowed".
    Last edited by 123weld; 10-04-2020 at 07:12 PM.

18. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wow!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Next pan project will be weld a drain plug to the rear pumpkin oil cover.

21. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i kinda think of placerville as "hangtown". i spent over a week on a state job there a few yrs ago, dining w/ the locals at night in old downtown taverns near that bautiful old courthouse (still in use), that handled law and order, the way it should still be done. up to a couple yrs ago, there was a" black dummy" on permenat display w/ a noose aroung its kneck hanging in front of a tavern that could be viewed driving by. the city council dont like the covid19 there either. there is a restraunt that has a sign in front of it, saying "no masks allowed".
    That all sounds interesting and places I would love to visit even if for nothing else other than the experience. The Bronco will probably be capable of traveling the countryside if I figure out a way to do it with in means. There are many places like that locally I would relish the opportunity to visit let alone just hitting the road and viewing the country. I know it's an old truck with 160k on the clock but with some new parts shes just getting broken in. I'm torn between building a roof rack for cargo or buying a pop up tent for above the roof and keeping the storage inside the cab. I'm not getting any younger and neither is this gas hog but this gas hog is so much fun when the pedal is to the metal in any terrain.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-04-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Next pan project will be weld a drain plug to the rear pumpkin oil cover.
    What!!! you're not going to put a finned cover on for better cooling???
    Name:  finned-cover-bronco.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  39.7 KB

Oh, I forgot to mention when you were doing the tranny pan-- most guys also install a bung for a temp sensor if you're going to put any extra gauges in the vehicle....

24. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes an extra oil cooler and oil temp sensor is part of the plan if/when I get a round 2 it

Racing around the track yesterday was enough to encourage me to start putting money towards this thing.

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What!!! you're not going to put a finned cover on for better cooling???
    Name:  finned-cover-bronco.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  39.7 KB

Oh, I forgot to mention when you were doing the tranny pan-- most guys also install a bung for a temp sensor if you're going to put any extra gauges in the vehicle....
    That's funny how does it hold oil ?

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's funny how does it hold oil ?
    I think you're looking at it wrong

30. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm good, if it holds mud then it holds heat Not to mention the fun of cleaning the mud out of it afterwards. No thanks!
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-05-2020 at 12:47 AM.

32. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm good, if it holds mud then it holds heat Not to mention the fun of cleaning the mud out of it afterwards. No thanks!
    That's what pressure washers are for

Post Thanks / Like

That's what pressure washers are for
    Not my pressure washer !

35. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey N2, what size engine is in that BRONCO? If it's a V-8 & you don't know anything about it's history, then I'd DEFINITELY check & probably replace the timing chain & sprockets, get the cast cam sprocket, also drop the oil pan & replace the oil pump & distributor drive shaft, Ford was notorious for using aluminum bodied oil pumps on the 289, 302, 351, & maybe some others, the pump body would warp a little in use & cause the pump to bind & twist the oil pump drive rod, It's a 5/16 hex rod that drives the oil pump from the distributor gear, I'v done a few of them during my career. IDK when or if they stopped using the aluminum pumps. Heck I don't even know what year the bronco is but it's just knowledge I've learned in 49+ years of mechanical work.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

37. Likes ronsii, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a 5.8L I plan on pulling the transmission, engine oil pan and replacing the rear crank seal, front / rear trani seals and replacing pan gaskets to fix any leaks. Transfer case may need some attention too.

This truck is a 1995 the last year of the Bronco was 1996 and was the only ODBII bronco made. Now they have the new 2021 Broncos but they are not even equiped with V8 atm. They may put V8 in them later but not atm.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-05-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A PVC "T" fitting can be easily modified to make a nice wrench for the manual hubs.

40. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    A PVC "T" fitting can be easily modified to make a nice wrench for the manual hubs.
    Yeah, have seen a few guys with plastic ones... IF I ever get around to it I'll mill a couple out of 6061 I kinda promised a guy I'd make him one when I do it...

42. Likes danielplace, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, have seen a few guys with plastic ones... IF I ever get around to it I'll mill a couple out of 6061 I kinda promised a guy I'd make him one when I do it...
    that! Sign me up for one made out of Delrin. Otherwise I could make something out of simple materials

44. Likes ronsii liked this post