+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Wire Pull

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Wire Pull

Sounds like the water company should be charging for their ground electron feed service..

2. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When working around world you know each country color code.
    In the USA and Canada.

You run bond wire aka ground back to meter.
    Green wire or bare copper is bond/ground
    White is neutral and later for 480/277 gray.
    For delta 3 phase 240/120 volt red is for stinger. The other 2 legs are black or some blue.
    In Y typically it is black may also see blue and red to for syncing.

Other countries I would have ser chart on there color code.

Dave

PS:
    This only main wire in machinery
    It real guess
    At time US tools for most part use black for high voltage and red for control circuit voltage.
    Today use volt meter it is safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GfC View Post
    lol... I watched that on the news here in Lima a few weeks ago.

Only the big commercial buildings get ground wires or a neutral. All the old neighborhoods have 3 wire-3phase and no ground. I tried to get a ground to the new rebar before the cement was poured for the ceiling, but it didn't take.

Entering the box from the supply, there are 1 red, 1 white, 1 black. 3 wire for 3 phase and no neutral. I think it's called Delta?

Attachment 1717068and this is what they have as a fuse at the meter..... no breaker. Attachment 1717069

Look at the picture above. Now you have... lol C32 amp. sorry.

Down the road, I'm going to see about getting a completely separate meter installed "if" if I can ever afford to get the lube sent down to try and pull 4AWG to where the new meter would be installed. Until then, I'll just get a 60amp 3 phase installed for the house with a breaker, instead of that dang old timer fuse.
    Like I said though, welding isn't my primary, it's totally utilitarian for household stuff. When I get a good table saw and build a Thickness sander, they'll probably be the only 3phase motors in the shop, unless I'm able to buy a big air-compressor upgrade.
    One day, I would like to build a multi purpose CNC table that I could switch out a milling head with a Laser, and a plasma cutter. But still, nothing commercial grade.

My goal for my shop is to be able to make toys for the public schools that have nothing for the 4-6 year olds to play with, other than broken plastic crap from China. Chess-sets for the older kids, and then what my son needs to learn basic wood-working, welding, and blacksmithing. He wants to learn to make knives.
    Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That is why you see the videos of people going to convenience stores and getting electrocuted touching the refrigerator unit's glass door handle.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by smithdoor; 10-01-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    When working around world you know each country color code.
    In the USA and Canada.

You run bond wire aka ground back to meter.
    Green wire or bare copper is bond/ground
    White is neutral and later for 480/277 gray.
    For delta 3 phase 240/120 volt red is for stinger. The other 2 legs are black or some blue.
    In Y typically it is black may also see blue and red to for syncing.

Other countries I would have ser chart on there color code.

Dave

PS:
    This only main wire in machinery
    It real guess
    At time US tools for most part use black for high voltage and red for control circuit voltage.
    Today use volt meter it is safer.
    Actually you don't run the ground back to the meter. The ground stops at the first means of disconnect and only the neutral is fed through the meter. Some areas won't even allow the grounding system to tie in in the meter. They want it in the panel.

The high leg on Delta 120/240 3 phase system is not red. The 120 lines are usually your black and red phases and your high leg is the orange for sure never red.

277/480 used to be Brown Orange Yellow but because it was getting confused with high leg orange they change to Brown Purple Yellow.

120/208 is always A black B red and C is blue.
    Last edited by danielplace; 10-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GfC View Post
    Oh, and the security spikes they use down here. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
    Id be interested in seeing what these security spike look like
    Safety 3rd
    Gump

Post Thanks / Like

You have 120/208 volts.

At one time on old tube TV uses green wire for high voltage and black for ground.
    The green wire would have 3,000 to 40,000 volts. They change the color code I think it was red in mid 1960's.

From time to time you find cords wire with hot wire green and the ground black.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Actually you don't run the ground back to the meter. The ground stops at the first means of disconnect and only the neutral is fed through the meter. Some areas won't even allow the grounding system to tie in in the meter. They want it in the panel.

The high leg on Delta 120/240 3 phase system is not red. The 120 lines are usually your black and red phases and your high leg is the orange for sure never red.

277/480 used to be Brown Orange Yellow but because it was getting confused with high leg orange they change to Brown Purple Yellow.

Post Thanks / Like

Up here out in the suburbs for 240 three-phase, we are black and red, for the two 120-volt to neutral phases, and blue for the 195-215 to neutral phase. Some electrical engineers from the city when working on the island will want the red to be the high leg, the city does not have a high leg they have balanced-three-phase so they think the red should be the high leg for some reason. I have put my oscilloscope to 208 three-phase city power many times it is balanced nicely. But in the rural areas, it is always, black-red, and blue. It is BOY colors for 480 volt systems, Brown, Orange, and Yellow.

It makes sense because all house coloring is red and black for the two hot legs and white for the neutral. Why change things up?

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 10-04-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a licensed electrician since 1985.

Color code are not all in the NEC is is proper training that you get the color codes taught to you. If the teacher is clueless you may not be taught correctly as is normal in the trade to do.

There is a proper way whether the NEC covers it or not and they will fail you for it. We actually can not phase anything smaller than a #4. All wire pulled must be the color of the phase it is on. NO phase tape is allowed.

240 3 phase NEVER should use blue for C phase. The high leg is ALWAYS orange. Any other color is wrong. NEC 230.56

>>>>Q1 Where should the high-leg conductor from a 120/240V, three-phase, 4-wire delta-connected system be landed? My utility requires it to be in the right hand or "C" phase position at the meter.

>>>>A1 I'm not sure of electric utility requirements, but it's my understanding that The ANSI standard for meter equipment requires the high-leg conductor to terminate on the "C" (right) phase of the meter enclosure. The NEC requirements as follows:

Identification. On a 4-wire three-phase delta-connected system, where the midpoint of one phase winding is grounded, the conductor with the higher phase voltage-to-ground must be durably and permanently marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or other effective means. Such identification must be placed at each point on the system where a connection is made if the grounded neutral conductor is present [110.15]. Figure 110-33

That would be royal mistake phasing the high leg the same color as C phase on 120/208 power.

BLACK RED BLUE is ALWAYS 120/208 power.

The BOY in 277/480 has been dropped because it used orange so to avoid mistaking it for a high leg it is now a purple phase and some jurisdictions will no longer accept orange at all anywhere except for high legs.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=240%20...8E07F6D8E09F8B
    Last edited by danielplace; 10-04-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I thing learned was the color code is as good as the electrician.
    On any old wiring use a volt meter.
    Where at they let you use color tape. It great till gets oily and falls off.

Dave

Been a licensed electrician since 1985.

Color code are not all in the NEC is is proper training that you get the color codes taught to you. If the teacher is clueless you may not be taught correctly as is normal in the trade to do.

There is a proper way whether the NEC covers it or not and they will fail you for it. We actually can not phase anything smaller than a #4. All wire pulled must be the color of the phase it is on. NO phase tape is allowed.

240 3 phase NEVER should use blue for C phase. The high leg is ALWAYS orange. Any other color is wrong. NEC 230.56

>>>>Q1 Where should the high-leg conductor from a 120/240V, three-phase, 4-wire delta-connected system be landed? My utility requires it to be in the right hand or "C" phase position at the meter.

>>>>A1 I'm not sure of electric utility requirements, but it's my understanding that The ANSI standard for meter equipment requires the high-leg conductor to terminate on the "C" (right) phase of the meter enclosure. The NEC requirements as follows:

Identification. On a 4-wire three-phase delta-connected system, where the midpoint of one phase winding is grounded, the conductor with the higher phase voltage-to-ground must be durably and permanently marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or other effective means. Such identification must be placed at each point on the system where a connection is made if the grounded neutral conductor is present [110.15]. Figure 110-33

That would be royal mistake phasing the high leg the same color as C phase on 120/208 power.

BLACK RED BLUE is ALWAYS 120/208 power.

The BOY in 277/480 has been dropped because it used orange so to avoid mistaking it for a high leg it is now a purple phase and some jurisdictions will no longer accept orange at all anywhere except for high legs.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=240%20...8E07F6D8E09F8B

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist