+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wire Pull

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Wire Pull

Hey Folks, I'm building a new shop with the PVC in the floor and ceiling, and cutting out the brick to inset the outlets in the walls. I'm even taking the time to taper the edges of the PVC tubing where they are joined, so that there are no sharp edges for the wire to be pulled past/around.
    I was able to pull a 3 wire for 3 Phase with no return or ground. (down here, grounding doesn't exist.) I tried to get a grounding wire attached to the new structural rebar, but it didn't take.
    So, my question is this, I was only able to afford 10AWG to pull from the meter to connect to a 33 amp breaker. I'm also pulling the 10AWG throughout the shop as the primary supply line.
    12AWG is used in a few outlets and I'm pulling 14AWG through to all the lights.
    Is 10AWG adequate? Or just barely enough?
    I've got a friend who's built a woodshop in his home and he swears that the 10AWG wire is more than enough, even for the welder. I had to replace the plug on the welder to get an end on it that would plug into the outlets and the 10AWG is larger the wire in the welders power cord.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Wire Pull

What size is your conduit.
    10 gauge will work for three phase welders.

The latest code I read
    14ga is 15 amps
    12ga is 20 amps
    10ga is 30 amps
    The bond aka ground is one size below the main wires.
    You may want a neutral for 120volts too.

All Gauges great is you need chart.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GfC View Post

Hey Folks, I'm building a new shop with the PVC in the floor and ceiling, and cutting out the brick to inset the outlets in the walls. I'm even taking the time to taper the edges of the PVC tubing where they are joined, so that there are no sharp edges for the wire to be pulled past/around.
    I was able to pull a 3 wire for 3 Phase with no return or ground. (down here, grounding doesn't exist.) I tried to get a grounding wire attached to the new structural rebar, but it didn't take.
    So, my question is this, I was only able to afford 10AWG to pull from the meter to connect to a 33 amp breaker. I'm also pulling the 10AWG throughout the shop as the primary supply line.
    I've got a friend who's built a woodshop in his home and he swears that the 10AWG wire is more than enough, even for the welder. I had to replace the plug on the welder to get an end on it that would plug into the outlets and the 10AWG is larger the wire in the welders power cord.

Any thoughts?

3. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wire current capacity is dependent upon overall length of the wire and the insulation rating on the wire. Most likely your 10 gauge wire will be adequate for a 33A service though.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

For the friends wood shop the 10 is probably OK. you need to consult a chart that says what size wire you need according to the length of run and maximum amps the welder will pull. Maybe I misunderstood but are you connecting all circuits to the 33 amp breaker?
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

You didn’t mention what voltage you would be
    running the welder on or how much it draws.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen a 33 amp breaker. Only 15, 20, 30, 40 amp and up breakers

Dave

Any thoughts?

8. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything here in Peru is 220v 60Hz.
    mla2ofus
    Master Welder only my shop and bedroom will be on the 33amp breaker, but the 10AWG is the best wire available here. I'll be running a direct line from the breaker feed to the other box for the rest of the floor. (Just bedrooms)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    For the friends wood shop the 10 is probably OK. you need to consult a chart that says what size wire you need according to the length of run and maximum amps the welder will pull. Maybe I misunderstood but are you connecting all circuits to the 33 amp breaker?
    I'll pretty much only be running 1 machine at a time, other than the extractor when turning or welding. As to the welder, haven't been able to find any info on it. It's in my photo gallery. Here's what I just got off the back:
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 8.44.32 PM.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  65.0 KB
    But, like I said, when I replaced the plug, the wire was around 12AWG.
    There is no chart on the inside panel for setting..... nothing in the crappy book, and not a dang thing that I could find on the web.
    I'm not going to be doing any regular fabrication. Just structural steel for windows, fixing the metal doors, maybe a metal tube fence around the front garden. Oh, and the security spikes they use down here. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mr.GfC; 09-27-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added to responce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What size is your conduit.
    10 gauge will work for three phase welders.

The latest code I read
    14ga is 15 amps
    12ga is 20 amps
    10ga is 30 amps
    The bond aka ground is one size below the main wires.
    You may want a neutral for 120volts too.

All Gauges great is you need chart.

Dave
    It's all 220v 60Hz here. I've pulled 3x 10AWG through a 1" PVC conduit, and will be using the 1" throughout the entire shop with the 10AWG.

Post Thanks / Like

No matter how you split up your loads other loads will be on at least one of the welders two legs and everything being 220 only the third leg is limited too since it is a pair to at least one of the other two you are already using for the welder. You will still have a little left over but not much if welder is cranked up.
    That third leg that has no welder load can't be utilized much when welder is drawing a load. Bummer. No return or 110 splitting your 220 changes the way you have to think about using the 3 phase.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is good news for you.
    From the photo of welder it is the right size.

1" conduit you can pull larger wire later.
    How long is your conduit pull.

Are in the North American if so do you have 120 volt power.
    In North American we use 120 volts and that can be helpful later.

Dave

It's all 220v 60Hz here. I've pulled 3x 10AWG through a 1" PVC conduit, and will be using the 1" throughout the entire shop with the 10AWG.

Post Thanks / Like

I did see until now you only have 220

Save

Post Thanks / Like

I did see until now you only have 220

Save
    And welder is singe phase only using two legs.

But with only 220 power everything they use the third leg unloaded leg will never be able to be utilized fully with the welder running because all 220 would also be on one of the welders legs at the same time limiting what that 3rd one can run.

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The size you will work
    As you do plan using the old ac welders and say with three phase welders.
    In USA and Canada you need to run a bond/ground wire from the meter
    Other than that you good to go.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    And welder is singe phase only using two legs.

But with only 220 power everything they use the third leg unloaded leg will never be able to be utilized fully with the welder running because all 220 would also be on one of the welders legs at the same time limiting what that 3rd one can run.

Post Thanks / Like

The size you will work

Dave

It's a single phase welder he is using. Nameplate shows 1Ø

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nr. GFC,

Regarding this: "But, like I said, when I replaced the plug, the wire was around 12AWG."

Power cords for welding machines are sized smaller than what seems like normal practice due to the duty cycle of each machine.

It gets confooosing for sure for the weekend warrior trying to size circuits.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

The size you will work

Dave
    From/in the meter, there are only 2 lines. When they install 3 phase, there will only be 3. I tried to get a ground through the new rebar but it didn't take.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    It's a single phase welder he is using. Nameplate shows 1Ø
    If I'm able to get the 3rd phase installed, the shop will be the only part of the house on it. When welding, I'll have a fan or the extractor running, which has 14 or 16AWG wire supplying it. All the lighting will be LED lights on flex tubing. Since there are only TV's (plasma) and a couple of fridges on the 2 primary, with fluorescent bulbs.... there's not a big draw downstairs. Other than the new air compressor (2.5Hp) almost all of my other equipment utilize washing machine motors. Pluss, I'm the only one using the hop. Mostly for turning woon on my lathe.
    The welding is mostly for windows, rebuilding doors, gates, household stuff. I'm not even sure I'll ever need to turn the welder even half way up on the Amps. Speaking of which, don't the new machines utilize electronics like capacitors to build up and store Amps for it's working cycle?

What is "1Ø"

Post Thanks / Like

What is "1Ø"
    It is symbol for single phase.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-30-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, doubled my last post
    Last edited by Mr.GfC; 09-30-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That is good news for you.
    From the photo of welder it is the right size.

1" conduit you can pull larger wire later.
    How long is your conduit pull.

Are in the North American if so do you have 120 volt power.
    In North American we use 120 volts and that can be helpful later.

Dave
    By the way, I am from Houston Texas. Use to have my contractors Lic. for construction in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

He is not in the USA
    He lives part of world where NEC is not used. Even the color code for wires maybe different.

Dave

By the way, I am from Houston Texas. Use to have my contractors Lic. for construction in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this one
    There is parts of world that does no know of Ufer ground.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Try this one

Dave
    That is why you see the videos of people going to convenience stores and getting electrocuted touching the refrigerator unit's glass door handle.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

29. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That is why you see the videos of people going to convenience stores and getting electrocuted touching the refrigerator unit's glass door handle.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    lol... I watched that on the news here in Lima a few weeks ago.

Try this one

Dave
    Only the big commercial buildings get ground wires or a neutral. All the old neighborhoods have 3 wire-3phase and no ground. I tried to get a ground to the new rebar before the cement was poured for the ceiling, but it didn't take.

He is not in the USA
    He lives part of world where NEC is not used. Even the color code for wires maybe different.

Dave
    Entering the box from the supply, there are 1 red, 1 white, 1 black. 3 wire for 3 phase and no neutral. I think it's called Delta?

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 11.21.53 AM.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  101.4 KBand this is what they have as a fuse at the meter..... no breaker. Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 11.22.08 AM.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  165.9 KB

I have not seen a 33 amp breaker. Only 15, 20, 30, 40 amp and up breakers

Dave
    Look at the picture above. Now you have... lol C32 amp. sorry.

Down the road, I'm going to see about getting a completely separate meter installed "if" if I can ever afford to get the lube sent down to try and pull 4AWG to where the new meter would be installed. Until then, I'll just get a 60amp 3 phase installed for the house with a breaker, instead of that dang old timer fuse.
    Like I said though, welding isn't my primary, it's totally utilitarian for household stuff. When I get a good table saw and build a Thickness sander, they'll probably be the only 3phase motors in the shop, unless I'm able to buy a big air-compressor upgrade.
    One day, I would like to build a multi purpose CNC table that I could switch out a milling head with a Laser, and a plasma cutter. But still, nothing commercial grade.

My goal for my shop is to be able to make toys for the public schools that have nothing for the 4-6 year olds to play with, other than broken plastic crap from China. Chess-sets for the older kids, and then what my son needs to learn basic wood-working, welding, and blacksmithing. He wants to learn to make knives.
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Last edited by Mr.GfC; 09-30-2020 at 12:59 PM.

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol... I watched that on the news here in Lima a few weeks ago.

Only the big commercial buildings get ground wires or a neutral. All the old neighborhoods have 3 wire-3phase and no ground. I tried to get a ground to the new rebar before the cement was poured for the ceiling, but it didn't take.

Entering the box from the supply, there are 1 red, 1 white, 1 black. 3 wire for 3 phase and no neutral. I think it's called Delta?

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 11.21.53 AM.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  101.4 KBand this is what they have as a fuse at the meter..... no breaker. Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 11.22.08 AM.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  165.9 KB

Look at the picture above. Now you have... lol C32 amp. sorry.

Down the road, I'm going to see about getting a completely separate meter installed "if" if I can ever afford to get the lube sent down to try and pull 4AWG to where the new meter would be installed. Until then, I'll just get a 60amp 3 phase installed for the house with a breaker, instead of that dang old timer fuse.
    Like I said though, welding isn't my primary, it's totally utilitarian for household stuff. When I get a good table saw and build a Thickness sander, they'll probably be the only 3phase motors in the shop, unless I'm able to buy a big air-compressor upgrade.
    One day, I would like to build a multi purpose CNC table that I could switch out a milling head with a Laser, and a plasma cutter. But still, nothing commercial grade.

My goal for my shop is to be able to make toys for the public schools that have nothing for the 4-6 year olds to play with, other than broken plastic crap from China. Chess-sets for the older kids, and then what my son needs to learn basic wood-working, welding, and blacksmithing. He wants to learn to make knives.
    Thanks for the info guys.
    You can get some strange static type charges from ungrounded air compressors as well. Here we ground to the water main as well as the power company supplied neutral that fails now and then. I have measured over 20 amps with a clamp-on amp meter, around the one-inch water main, which was a K-copper pipe. I watched the water meter guy replace the meter and even with his jumper wires across the meter, the meter sparked when he took it out and put in a new one.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

33. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist