+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Determining number of passes, weave or not - GTAW

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Determining number of passes, weave or not - GTAW

The welds look good but it would have been better to weld inwards from both ends so you don't leave the crater at the end. The crater is a potential site for a crack to develop. This can be important on critical welds. I'd consider steering components fairly critical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    The welds look good but it would have been better to weld inwards from both ends so you don't leave the crater at the end. The crater is a potential site for a crack to develop. This can be important on critical welds. I'd consider steering components fairly critical.
    Fair point. I do think a good welder could do it in one go in one direction though.

Post Thanks / Like

The second one (for the other side) came out a touch better. Well the weave did on tab, my fillets weren’t as good on this one .... one day I’ll get all my good welds on one piece lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding amp control and being able to drop or cool towards the end of a weld run. I have downslope, 0 - 15 seconds. Now as far as I can tell , let’s say I set it to 5 seconds, then I have to guess/know when I’m 5 seconds from the end of weld and let off the switch... seems like something that will take A LOT of practice??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    140-180 amps probably. Lap joints takes less amps then the other welds with the thicker metal. Leg height should be 3/4 to the full height of the thickness of base metal to be considered structural and leg height no taller then the thinner piece of metal if there’s 2 different thickness metals being welded together
    Where do you get this? You are one of the reasons I quit posting here because of the nonsense you post. Sad part is people probably listen to you. 140-180 amps are you serious? Please

6. Likes mcspeed, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Testing myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post
    Fair point. I do think a good welder could do it in one go in one direction though.
    On something critical a good welder would know not to leave a crater at the end. It's kind of welding 101, eliminate as much as possible potential for cracks to propagate. Take it as info to remember for the next time instead of questioning it.

Post Thanks / Like

On something critical a good welder would know not to leave a crater at the end. It's kind of welding 101, eliminate as much as possible potential for cracks to propagate. Take it as info to remember for the next time instead of questioning it.
    Can you define crater? To me that is a concave hole , it’s lowest point is lower than the weld profile??

My pics may not be very clear, but on the finished product they are not. I would call it a “mound” for lack of better term. The “mound” is higher than the weld profile and even the one that has the tiny pin hole has the bottom of hole higher than weld profile.

Saying a good welder could do it in one pass in one direction was not question your imput mate, actually agreeing with the crater part. I’ve seen plenty of high end motor sport TIG welding and they don’t end in a crater where they stop. They are simply (MUCH!) better than me.
    Last edited by husq2100; 10-05-2020 at 01:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    Where do you get this? You are one of the reasons I quit posting here because of the nonsense you post. Sad part is people probably listen to you. 140-180 amps are you serious? Please
    There are a few reasons people post miss information on forums....

I did balk at it with my limited experience but just put it down to him probably having a peddle. Given the tube was only 2.8mm thick, that would put it at 110 amps using the 1 amp per thou rule.

11. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

140 is very doable. 180 probably a bit fast for the slow guys

Post Thanks / Like

How bout the Lap joint done at 160 and 180? .125 thick

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...t-Sorry-Jodie-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post
    Can you define crater? To me that is a concave hole , it’s lowest point is lower than the weld profile??

My pics may not be very clear, but on the finished product they are not. I would call it a “mound” for lack of better term. The “mound” is higher than the weld profile and even the one that has the tiny pin hole has the bottom of hole higher than weld profile.

Saying a good welder could do it in one pass in one direction was not question your imput mate, actually agreeing with the crater part. I’ve seen plenty of high end motor sport TIG welding and they don’t end in a crater where they stop. They are simply (MUCH!) better than me.
    Anytime you stop a weld you have a crater. In motorsport welding it is usually tubing with a continuous weld all the way around. There is no end per say.

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you stop a weld you have a crater. In motorsport welding it is usually tubing with a continuous weld all the way around. There is no end per say.
    Plenty of welds on parts that are not tube or continuous around. So how does one stop a weld that is not continuous?

Post Thanks / Like

Weld in from both ends and make sure the final crater in the middle is fully filled.

Post Thanks / Like

.... “make sure the final crater in the middle is fully filled”.

If filling the crater is the critical part (which to me it is) I thought that was done at every end ( unless start up from that point is going to take place)with technique by the use of filler and back trailing the arc a little?

Post Thanks / Like

Generally back stepping at the end is sufficient but on something critical, welding from each end inward is the best way to eliminate potential crater cracks.

Post Thanks / Like

Underfilled terminations leave a stress riser at the end of the weld that can crack prematurely or even crack when the puddle chills. Nothing wrong with returning to the crater and filling them some more later. Underfilled weld starts are just as much as a problem as underfilled terminations. Craters are by definition a shallow termination with possibly a divot in the center where the crater crack can develop.

When starting a weld, get a uniform puddle and pack that start with filler for an adequate throat. 2 to 3 dips of your rod can pack it thick then move forward. Upon termination reduce your amps and again pack that end with filler as not to leave a underfill or crater. And upon lifting your hood you see it underfilled go back and fill it some more.

Another thing, don't drip you filler into the puddle. Cram that rod in and plump up the bead for throat thickness and strength, them jam forward. As long as your bead spacing is not longer than 40% there should not be shallow spots between the beads to create stress risers. Cram and jam. Speed is your friend.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

20. Likes husq2100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very simple IMO If you can't get the required weld throat/profile with a single pass without compromising on other things like root quality, heat control etc, then run it in two passes.

You already understand root penetration and weld size etc, so to me, looks like 2 passes will make a better job than a single.

TIG is really limited by how much weld metal you can stuff in without affecting travel speed and burn-through with high amps. That's why you'll see a lot of concave TIG fillet welds. It's not a problem, it's just something you have to take into account if you need a certain throat size.

22. Likes shovelon, motolife313, husq2100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s where pumping the pedal comes in, slow the roll of the heat by pumping the pedal and you can pump up the throat with with rod.

Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't have a pedal.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Dom View Post
    He doesn't have a pedal.
    I know. He’s stated it many times in the thread

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a pedal, i use a button with a sequencer, and that job to me looks like around 120-130 amps tops, coupled with 2-3 seconds downslope to 20% before arc termination. Maybe 140 amps if you're feeling frisky.

I can't see no crater in that pic, just a rather large end puddle... longer downslope might help... either way it doesn't look terrible.

27. Likes husq2100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=shovelon;Cram and jam. Speed is your friend.[/QUOTE]

My experience tells me this is frowned upon by many women.

29. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
    My experience tells me this is frowned upon by many women.
    Many, not all.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Touche’
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist