+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1014 Hydroswing Step Up Gearbox Input Shaft Seal Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

1014 Hydroswing Step Up Gearbox Input Shaft Seal Replacement

This is the hydraulic pump for a mower conditioner. It runs off the PTO. Somebody out there might have one, and be interested in the repair.

Name:  seal1.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  207.6 KB

The input shaft seal (where the pump attaches to the PTO) has started leaking, and it's not wise to run it in this shape. Small leaks can become big leaks faster than you can blink an eye.

Drain any residual oil from the gearbox.

Name:  seal2.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  222.7 KB

The seal, and bearing, are in the front cover. Remove the bolts, and sit the assembly on something CLEAN.

Name:  seal3.JPG
Views: 634
Size:  204.1 KB The entire assembly comes off with gentle tapping using a rubber hammer.

Next, remove the snap ring that holds the cover on the the bearing.

Name:  seal4.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  219.1 KB

The cover assembly is then gently tapped off of the bearing, which remains attached to the shaft.

Name:  seal5.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  220.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1014 Hydroswing Step Up Gearbox Input Shaft Seal Replacement

The shaft has some serious issues.

Name:  seal6.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  221.6 KB It's badly rusted where the seal rides. This is due to sitting in the mud between seasons. I need to build a cradle for the doggone thing to keep it off the ground. The machine has provision for storing the pump assembly, but it puts a huge strain on the hoses, which can lead them to take a "set", and later go bad where the stress occurred.

If the rust can't be removed with steel wool, it'll be dressed with 180 grit emery cloth. The idea is to remove as little material as possible from the shaft. Just enough to get rid of the rust without scoring the metal. Total PITA. I have no idea whether the bearing is a press fit......but if it is......it will remain on the shaft during the dressing procedure with coverings to prevent any abrasive/rust/dirt from entering the bearing assembly. Total PITA.

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a lot of those pump drives on various pieces of farm equipment, mainly hydraulic PTO Freeman balers, I just clean the rust off down to steel and use a stainless "speedi-sleeve". Never have another issue with rust. Oh, those "no name" OEM seals are junk. get a good C/R or National to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Seen a lot of those pump drives on various pieces of farm equipment, mainly hydraulic PTO Freeman balers, I just clean the rust off down to steel and use a stainless "speedi-sleeve". Never have another issue with rust. Oh, those "no name" OEM seals are junk. get a good C/R or National to replace it.
    I heard of sleeves for wheel seals on Class 8 trucks, but never on this stuff. Live and learn.......Thanks! https://www.skf.com/us/products/indu...-speedi-sleeve

Anyways..............I actually got a guy over at O'Reilly that had his act together, and have 2 seals coming tomorrow afternoon

Go through Agco, and it's about $25 + shipping. Probably a few days to get it. But, as long as there's a number on the seal, and ya own a caliper or mic......it's cheaper and faster to go local auto parts store on this deal.

Original part # NOK 16253-34A

National part # 470898

Name:  seal8.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  seal9.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  102.6 KB

If I get a leak, I'll get the sleeves.

Now I can put this up, and install a rebuilt tensioning cylinder on the baler. That was a mystery as to how to get the gland out, but finally solved it without damaging the cylinder.

5. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I may have dodged the bullet on this one (whew)

Steel wool didn't make a dent

Name:  seal10.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  212.1 KB

Taped off the bearing to keep crud out, and headed into the Uranus Master Machine Shop to snag some ScotchBrite (well, it ain't REALLY ScotchBrite, it's some knockoff stuff).

Name:  seal11.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  197.3 KB

I believe I'm good. It passes the fingernail test. No appreciable ridges, or transition points.

Name:  seal12.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  189.4 KB

These are 2 lip seals. The inner lip keeps the oil in, and the outer seal keeps the dirt out. Most of the rust damage was between the inner and outer lip. It's a good bet that there's enough smooth shaft remaining for the seal to ride on. The polishing eased any damaged areas into the good areas. So, it's hope for the best.

BTW...............The correct sleeve for this shaft would be a National # 99210 Repair Sleeve ($45). At least I know it's available if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

While waiting for the new seal, it's time to make a seal driver.

A blank is cut to size with the torch, then rough gound. This is a piece of scrap leftover from something else. The hole had been machined prior for a die that I decided was the wrong radius.

The bore is measured, and the narrow end marked so it can be smoogied to take the taper out. About 2 thousands taper. An annular cutter will leave a taper.

Name:  seal13.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  230.7 KB

Die grinder with a mounted stone, and the taper disappears.......then the final finish diameter is marked on the piece. I prefer to mark something rather than trust it to memory.

Name:  seal14.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  243.9 KB

This is to be a shrink fit. One part heated, and the "cold' part dropped into the hole. The shaft is turned to the appropriate interference fit.

Name:  seal15.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  203.2 KB I used an indexable carbide tool to turn the shaft. The final .015 was taken in a single cut........no sneaking up on it. Carbide isn't good at sneaking up on a dimension........better to go for broke, and set your machine to the finish tolerance. It turned out ok.

I like to cut a bit of a relief on the shaft when doing a shrink fit, or press fit. This prevents the shoulder from interfering with the shoulder on the other part it fits into. For something really SpaceX, I'da used a cutoff blade to make the relief........in this case I just notched it with the carbide cutter. Not as elegant, but does the trick.

Name:  seal16.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  208.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Put the heat to the donut, and drop the shaft in.

Name:  seal17.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  202.0 KB

Cutting the relief made for a nice flush fit.

Name:  seal18.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  180.3 KB

Pop it in the lathe tomorrow, and turn the thing to size.

Post Thanks / Like

Not saying either of us are right or wrong, but this is how I build seal drivers. The big one is made from 1" threaded rod and a chunk of 1" pipe. Got a huge collection of different plates up to 11". I use my circle cutter for the torch to make 'em and then bore the hole. There are a few that I have had to use a lathe to get really precise or put special grooves in. Most are fine with a good torch setup and a bit of grinding. Name:  20201006_085822.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  123.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

In my crappy little world, it's never that easy

The seal is recessed in the bore

Name:  seal19.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  215.0 KB

Which is just shy of .500 deep.

Name:  seal20.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  184.1 KB

And naturally the seal is 3/8 thick

Name:  seal21.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  210.2 KB

In the bad old days, I'd find a socket that was near enough in size to fit the seal, or use a small drift to seat the seal once it's tapped in flush. Or, I'd use the old seal for the final seating, then pry it out of the bore. Which in about 1/2 the cases........wound up messing up the seal cup. Thank God I have the lathe. I can turn something for a nice sliding fit inside the bore, and not worry about messing up the seal cup. PITA

I feel I'll soon be replacing the identical seal on the other mower (1010 Hydroswing) soon, so I'll at least have something made for that job too.

Post Thanks / Like

The seals came in, and I got the seal driver finished today.

Find the diameter of the bore..........

Name:  seal22.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  192.4 KB

Turn the rough blank using a sacrificial bit. I really like HSS for this kind of thing. You might ding the tip a bit, but it's a quick fix on the grinder if it's bad, or a quickie touch up with a stone if it's not. Carbide really doesn't like this kinda stuff.

The workpiece was moved out a bit so the edges could be eased with a file, and the surface polished.

Name:  seal23.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  240.4 KB

If you're not familiar with them..........lathe files are very handy. They're strictly directional cut, and make it very easy to ease an edge without resorting to changing your toolpost position. In this case, I wanted a nice rounded leading edge....the file is perfect for this.

Name:  seal27.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  seal28.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  208.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice slip fit in the bore.........I allowed .010

Name:  seal25.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  242.6 KB

I put, what is for me, a fairly high polish on the O.D. The casting is aluminum, and tends to be gummy, and hang tools up. Slicker tool,, less chance of galling the bore.

Name:  seal24.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  seal26.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  242.4 KB

Put 'er all together tomorrow morning, and move on I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I forget.........

I used the Uranus 469 Shear Bit to get to the final dimension. I love this thing for mild steel. Fast, smooth, and no gummy tearing.

Name:  seal29.JPG
Views: 532
Size:  193.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Installed two seals today One the wrong way, and one the right way

Popped the first one in, and looked at it. Didn't seem evenly seated in the bore.................

I'm using an arbor press for the work because it's more sensitive to applied pressure. You can feel the moment something bottoms, and don't run the danger of over stressing the part.

Name:  seal30.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  194.6 KB

Couldn't immediately figure out what was wrong. Then it hit me

The seal seats against a ring at the bottom of the bore, which is in a groove in the bore itself.

Name:  seal33.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  222.3 KB

The ring is made of spring steel, and is fairly loose in the groove (isn't thick enough to fully fill the groove width)........allowing crud to build up in the groove.

Name:  seal32.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  224.2 KB

The ring can be removed by prying the tab on the end of the coil.

Name:  seal34.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  200.9 KB A good quality, not that import crap, dental pick can be used to pry the end out, then a screwdriver is inserted to pry it out further...........then you simply coil it out of the groove.

Post Thanks / Like

Dirt, and rust, had fouled the groove, and worked its way into the ring coil. So, naturally the seal couldn't accurately bottom where it's supposed to be. Cleaned it all up, and finished out the job. Good to go.

Name:  seal31.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  215.0 KB Checked the seating depth with a depth micrometer, and I'm about .005 out on one side. I can live with that. The ring doesn't provide a really good square seating surface. I suppose they didn't machine a land because the seal seats so close to the outside nose of the casting. I'm thinking that the aluminum isn't strong enough for the possible pressure used to seat the seal, or some other reason associated with material strength. Whatever the reason...........it's something to be aware of. Can't assemble these without thoroughly cleaning the groove, and ring.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist