+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New score for the shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New score for the shop

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    High temp Sillycone can be your friend. I don't even bother to weld a crack if it isn't critical.........just put the goo on it.
    Some of us don't do that when the customer is paying $19,000 for an engine overhaul... Plus another 5 grand for other issues with the transmission and other parts of the truck. If it won't weld (which it should) he gets a new cover.

2. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember what I paid for the used John Deere one, but it wasn't horrible... I'm thinking less than $300...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Looks like a deal to me! A word of warning on that timing cover. Some moron who will remain nameless punched a hole in one of my John Deere covers (4440) trying to pry off a dampener pulley (yes, it requires a very stout puller...). I took it to a neighboring Hutterite Colony that does a LOT of work in aluminum and stainless steel. Their conclusion was that it was a white metal alloy, but tried it out anyway. Welding went ok, but every time it started to cool down it cracked and I ended up finding a used one. I don't believe they used any pre-heat, so you might want to try that in a large oven that can heat it evenly and cool it slowly.
    Sounds a lot like an oil pan from a VW diesel Bug a friend brought me, had a little 3/8" hole punched in it so I tried to spiral in to the center... Every time i closed the hole it cracked around the outside of the weld and this was with 300 deg of preheat. I finally welded a 2" diameter patch over the hole and did my best to just barely fuse the weld to the pan without digging any pan metal into the weld. That held for a year 'til he punched it again. Another patch with the same procedure. Dude needs to buy a 1 ton 4X4 for a work rig.
    Yeah, those JD engines do require quite the stout puller for the balancer...

6. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember what I paid for the used John Deere one, but it wasn't horrible... I'm thinking less than $300...
    Cat actually has a pretty good network for used parts if you can find the right sales person. A while back I got a good flywheel housing for $500 that listed new for $3600. WOW.

8. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I actually made one after I broke the cover... used bolts and some scrap iron.... wasn't hard, but that pulley did not give up easily...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

10. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea... I told a nurse once I was going to Crazy Glue a cut shut that they were stitching up for me (there actually is a medical version that they use now, not then). No sense of humor those girls...
    I've used super glue for cuts. Just have to use electrical tape to cover it and not black tape. It leaves sticky black goo when you take it off. Have to use a different color.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    So what's the herd think about the value of this find? I paid $2500... Too much?
    Looks like it's barely used. Serial number will tell what year it is. The Miller cart is probably worth $500 alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Looks like it's barely used. Serial number will tell what year it is. The Miller cart is probably worth $500 alone.
    It has a shop built cart, it's a good one. The previous owner admitted it probably has less than 3 hours use. It was purchased for an aluminum job that was better done with a spool gun off a Lincoln 255 wire machine due to the plate thickness.

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It has a shop built cart, it's a good one. The previous owner admitted it probably has less than 3 hours use. It was purchased for an aluminum job that was better done with a spool gun off a Lincoln 255 wire machine due to the plate thickness.
    Would skid mount be better for your shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

17. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Would skid mount be better for your shop?

I prefer the wheels when things get clogged up. I have a nice forklift but its pretty wide. It is almost 200' from one end of the shop to the other.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Sammmy Post#25:

The Cyanide based acrylates are your friend where it come to 'stitching' flesh Fast!! Quick and in a hurry.... superglue it that's what the doc-in-a-box does

21. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try welding that cover yet? Just wondering how that went....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

23. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you get that machine the proper voltage, or you will be paying as much as twice for your electricity and not even know it. Put a volt meter to it while you are welding aluminum and or check the amps it is drawing. That machine can easily draw 145 amps if there is a voltage drop.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

25. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Just make sure you get that machine the proper voltage, or you will be paying as much as twice for your electricity and not even know it. Put a volt meter to it while you are welding aluminum and or check the amps it is drawing. That machine can easily draw 145 amps if there is a voltage drop.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I hear ya. Already checked the taps, 230V just like I have in the shop. Worked in a place once that had 2 buildings... One had 208 and the other had 230. Every time you moved a machine it had to be checked.

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try welding that cover yet? Just wondering how that went....
    Haven't had time yet, gotta get this out by tomorrow afternoon. Then I can play with it. Name:  20201012_141539.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  131.0 KB

29. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
    That is a very interesting looking engine. What is it?
    1984 Cummins Big Cam NTC400 HP. Burnt a valve so all 3 heads were rebuilt by a nearby machine shop, Got the heads on today, adjusted valves and rebuilt and installed and adjusted Jake brakes today. tomorrow the exhaust and water manifold and turbo and a bunch of wires and oil lines and she'll be up and hauling gravel again.

31. Likes ronsii, DavidR8, whtbaron, Garfield43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That reminds me... if there's anything you want off this block let me know... I picked up the IP the other day and set it in my sawmill.. it looked ok... so I'm guessing it was unbolted before the hoe moved it
    Name:  bigcam400block1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  93.3 KB

33. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Been trying for the last 8-9 years to get my boss to upgrade the wiring/breaker to the syncrowave(digital) 250 in the weld shop. Plate on the machine calls for right about 100 amps on 230. It's been on a 60 amp since before I went to work there. Finally got the electricians in there a few days ago and one put an amp clamp on the disconnect box. I cranked the machine all the way up and went full tilt on the pedal. Electrician went to hollering, telling me to shut it down. Evidently the machine was pulling over 130 amps. Boss finally agreed to have them fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had time yet, gotta get this out by tomorrow afternoon. Then I can play with it. Name:  20201012_141539.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  131.0 KB
    Waaay outa my league. I'm glad I only have to putter around with little stuff.

:

36. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    That reminds me... if there's anything you want off this block let me know... I picked up the IP the other day and set it in my sawmill.. it looked ok... so I'm guessing it was unbolted before the hoe moved it
    Name:  bigcam400block1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  93.3 KB
    Not really needing any parts right now, and it seems like every time I buy a core engine I use 3 parts and then it sits. I think I still have two 12V71 Detroits that have been sitting for a couple years. The blowers are gone and one is missing the heads. The rest could be scrap if the price ever goes back up.

38. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really needing any parts right now, and it seems like every time I buy a core engine I use 3 parts and then it sits. I think I still have two 12V71 Detroits that have been sitting for a couple years. The blowers are gone and one is missing the heads. The rest could be scrap if the price ever goes back up.
    Yeah... I know what you mean... gotta store them somewhere... and then when you run outta room and get rid of it you need it the next day

Saw an ad on craigslist yesterday(monroe area) FREE bunch of stuff on a trailer(included) there was a complete detroit on the back end of the semi(old school) trailer... there was a time when I'd have driven up there right-quick and in a hurry!!!

.the ad is still up It's still available!!!!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/h...204791815.html
    Name:  motor-free-scarp-no-valvecover-cap.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  175.4 KB

40. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, a 4-53. Oh... Wait... I already have one that does run. You saw it first...

42. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, a 4-53. Oh... Wait... I already have one that does run. You saw it first...
    I was really tempted at first.... but upon looking closer it looks like the cap is off the cover although still could be some good stuff on it... maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm betting 4 stuck injectors and a bunch of stuck valves. BTDT with an 8V-71 I got out of Portland once. It sounded like a Turbine when the starter spun it. I got my money back and got to keep the engine. More core parts.

45. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm betting 4 stuck injectors and a bunch of stuck valves. BTDT with an 8V-71 I got out of Portland once. It sounded like a Turbine when the starter spun it. I got my money back and got to keep the engine. More core parts.
    So... what you're saying is .... the starter is probably good

47. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist