Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71

Thread: New score for the shop

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Yea... I told a nurse once I was going to Crazy Glue a cut shut that they were stitching up for me (there actually is a medical version that they use now, not then). No sense of humor those girls...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  2. Likes ronsii liked this post
  3. #27
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    High temp Sillycone can be your friend. I don't even bother to weld a crack if it isn't critical.........just put the goo on it.
    Some of us don't do that when the customer is paying $19,000 for an engine overhaul... Plus another 5 grand for other issues with the transmission and other parts of the truck. If it won't weld (which it should) he gets a new cover.

  4. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
  5. #28
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    I can't remember what I paid for the used John Deere one, but it wasn't horrible... I'm thinking less than $300...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  6. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  7. #29
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Looks like a deal to me! A word of warning on that timing cover. Some moron who will remain nameless punched a hole in one of my John Deere covers (4440) trying to pry off a dampener pulley (yes, it requires a very stout puller...). I took it to a neighboring Hutterite Colony that does a LOT of work in aluminum and stainless steel. Their conclusion was that it was a white metal alloy, but tried it out anyway. Welding went ok, but every time it started to cool down it cracked and I ended up finding a used one. I don't believe they used any pre-heat, so you might want to try that in a large oven that can heat it evenly and cool it slowly.
    Sounds a lot like an oil pan from a VW diesel Bug a friend brought me, had a little 3/8" hole punched in it so I tried to spiral in to the center... Every time i closed the hole it cracked around the outside of the weld and this was with 300 deg of preheat. I finally welded a 2" diameter patch over the hole and did my best to just barely fuse the weld to the pan without digging any pan metal into the weld. That held for a year 'til he punched it again. Another patch with the same procedure. Dude needs to buy a 1 ton 4X4 for a work rig.
    Yeah, those JD engines do require quite the stout puller for the balancer...

  8. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
  9. #30
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I can't remember what I paid for the used John Deere one, but it wasn't horrible... I'm thinking less than $300...
    Cat actually has a pretty good network for used parts if you can find the right sales person. A while back I got a good flywheel housing for $500 that listed new for $3600. WOW.

  10. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    I think I actually made one after I broke the cover... used bolts and some scrap iron.... wasn't hard, but that pulley did not give up easily...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  12. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
  13. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Yea... I told a nurse once I was going to Crazy Glue a cut shut that they were stitching up for me (there actually is a medical version that they use now, not then). No sense of humor those girls...
    I've used super glue for cuts. Just have to use electrical tape to cover it and not black tape. It leaves sticky black goo when you take it off. Have to use a different color.

  14. Likes ronsii liked this post
  15. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,756
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    So what's the herd think about the value of this find? I paid $2500... Too much?
    Looks like it's barely used. Serial number will tell what year it is. The Miller cart is probably worth $500 alone.

  16. #34
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Looks like it's barely used. Serial number will tell what year it is. The Miller cart is probably worth $500 alone.
    It has a shop built cart, it's a good one. The previous owner admitted it probably has less than 3 hours use. It was purchased for an aluminum job that was better done with a spool gun off a Lincoln 255 wire machine due to the plate thickness.

  17. Likes ronsii liked this post
  18. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    It has a shop built cart, it's a good one. The previous owner admitted it probably has less than 3 hours use. It was purchased for an aluminum job that was better done with a spool gun off a Lincoln 255 wire machine due to the plate thickness.
    Would skid mount be better for your shop?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  19. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
  20. #36
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Would skid mount be better for your shop?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I prefer the wheels when things get clogged up. I have a nice forklift but its pretty wide. It is almost 200' from one end of the shop to the other.

  21. Likes ronsii liked this post
  22. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    @Sammmy Post#25:

    The Cyanide based acrylates are your friend where it come to 'stitching' flesh Fast!! Quick and in a hurry.... superglue it that's what the doc-in-a-box does

  23. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  24. #38
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Try welding that cover yet? Just wondering how that went....
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  25. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  26. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Just make sure you get that machine the proper voltage, or you will be paying as much as twice for your electricity and not even know it. Put a volt meter to it while you are welding aluminum and or check the amps it is drawing. That machine can easily draw 145 amps if there is a voltage drop.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

  27. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  28. #40
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Just make sure you get that machine the proper voltage, or you will be paying as much as twice for your electricity and not even know it. Put a volt meter to it while you are welding aluminum and or check the amps it is drawing. That machine can easily draw 145 amps if there is a voltage drop.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    I hear ya. Already checked the taps, 230V just like I have in the shop. Worked in a place once that had 2 buildings... One had 208 and the other had 230. Every time you moved a machine it had to be checked.

  29. Likes ronsii liked this post
  30. #41
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Try welding that cover yet? Just wondering how that went....
    Haven't had time yet, gotta get this out by tomorrow afternoon. Then I can play with it. Name:  20201012_141539.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  131.0 KB

  31. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  32. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Haven't had time yet, gotta get this out by tomorrow afternoon. Then I can play with it. Name:  20201012_141539.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  131.0 KB
    That is a very interesting looking engine. What is it?

  33. #43
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
    That is a very interesting looking engine. What is it?
    1984 Cummins Big Cam NTC400 HP. Burnt a valve so all 3 heads were rebuilt by a nearby machine shop, Got the heads on today, adjusted valves and rebuilt and installed and adjusted Jake brakes today. tomorrow the exhaust and water manifold and turbo and a bunch of wires and oil lines and she'll be up and hauling gravel again.

  34. Likes ronsii, DavidR8, whtbaron liked this post
  35. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    1984 Cummins Big Cam NTC400 HP. Burnt a valve so all 3 heads were rebuilt by a nearby machine shop, Got the heads on today, adjusted valves and rebuilt and installed and adjusted Jake brakes today. tomorrow the exhaust and water manifold and turbo and a bunch of wires and oil lines and she'll be up and hauling gravel again.

    Thankyou for your answer Sir! I have never seen one like that before.

  36. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    That reminds me... if there's anything you want off this block let me know... I picked up the IP the other day and set it in my sawmill.. it looked ok... so I'm guessing it was unbolted before the hoe moved it
    Name:  bigcam400block1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  93.3 KB

  37. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  38. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Just make sure you get that machine the proper voltage, or you will be paying as much as twice for your electricity and not even know it. Put a volt meter to it while you are welding aluminum and or check the amps it is drawing. That machine can easily draw 145 amps if there is a voltage drop.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    Been trying for the last 8-9 years to get my boss to upgrade the wiring/breaker to the syncrowave(digital) 250 in the weld shop. Plate on the machine calls for right about 100 amps on 230. It's been on a 60 amp since before I went to work there. Finally got the electricians in there a few days ago and one put an amp clamp on the disconnect box. I cranked the machine all the way up and went full tilt on the pedal. Electrician went to hollering, telling me to shut it down. Evidently the machine was pulling over 130 amps. Boss finally agreed to have them fix it.

  39. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Haven't had time yet, gotta get this out by tomorrow afternoon. Then I can play with it. Name:  20201012_141539.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  131.0 KB
    Waaay outa my league. I'm glad I only have to putter around with little stuff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  40. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
  41. #48
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    That reminds me... if there's anything you want off this block let me know... I picked up the IP the other day and set it in my sawmill.. it looked ok... so I'm guessing it was unbolted before the hoe moved it
    Name:  bigcam400block1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  93.3 KB
    Not really needing any parts right now, and it seems like every time I buy a core engine I use 3 parts and then it sits. I think I still have two 12V71 Detroits that have been sitting for a couple years. The blowers are gone and one is missing the heads. The rest could be scrap if the price ever goes back up.

  42. Likes ronsii liked this post
  43. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Not really needing any parts right now, and it seems like every time I buy a core engine I use 3 parts and then it sits. I think I still have two 12V71 Detroits that have been sitting for a couple years. The blowers are gone and one is missing the heads. The rest could be scrap if the price ever goes back up.
    Yeah... I know what you mean... gotta store them somewhere... and then when you run outta room and get rid of it you need it the next day

    Saw an ad on craigslist yesterday(monroe area) FREE bunch of stuff on a trailer(included) there was a complete detroit on the back end of the semi(old school) trailer... there was a time when I'd have driven up there right-quick and in a hurry!!!


    .
    .
    .
    .
    .the ad is still up It's still available!!!!

    https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/h...204791815.html
    Name:  motor-free-scarp-no-valvecover-cap.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  175.4 KB

  44. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
  45. #50
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New score for the shop

    Oooh, a 4-53. Oh... Wait... I already have one that does run. You saw it first...

  46. Likes ronsii liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,606,848,385.70018 seconds with 13 queries