+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need welding hood advice please .....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need welding hood advice please .....

Name:  IMG_0547.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  107.2 KB
    This is my favorite helmet. It's super light, has grind mode and I use it for mig, tig, stick. ESAB Sentinel. Plus... It's in COLOR!! Go and try a few, they're many great helmets out there.
    I'm stumbling through life on the backs of failure, enjoying their sacrifice, as if I had somehow earned their years of servitude to sustain my wasteful appetite!.

Post Thanks / Like

Bakers bundle

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like my infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    I like my infinity.

Wow, I guess you use that for welding... I have one of the pre-clearlight DI hoods, used just for TIG

I see that Lincoln has a 4th gen version of their popular 3350 out, and at a great price thru Baker's...might try that
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R33D View Post
    Name:  IMG_0547.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  107.2 KB
    This is my favorite helmet. It's super light, has grind mode and I use it for mig, tig, stick. ESAB Sentinel. Plus... It's in COLOR!! Go and try a few, they're many great helmets out there.
    Just be careful to not let it roll around, or there goes the front plastic lens protector.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pre clear light DI to.
    I made the mistake of trying a 4th gen 3350 I n the other day.
    Only reason I didn't buy is the grind butt

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pre clear light DI to.
    I made the mistake of trying a 4th gen 3350 I n the other day.
    Only reason I didn't buy is the grind butt

So to continue your thought...what is the problem with that?
    Otherwise how was the hood? I have no use for the grind option
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

I do a fair amount of while laying in the dirt. I think the grind button might be troublesome.
    Head gear feels good. Though my infinity head gear is now form fitted to my head.
    I have a ton of DI lenses and don't need another hood till one gets run over or dropped need to come up with a good reason.
    But I do think the 3350 and its new head gear now give it the edge over the infinity.

I do like the grind option. I grind alot with my infinity hood. Just don't think I want the button being accidentally depressed . But it sure would be hand otherwise.
    Last edited by evan; 11-23-2020 at 01:45 AM.

9. Likes LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    Same here have a fibre metal hood from 1990, not too long ago bought a Arcone HD Auto lens. Get to use my old hood, bought lens a LWS.

https://www.amazon.com/ArcOne-S240-1.../dp/B00206Y4B8
    that is the lens that I run in my pancake only in shade 9. I was checking out a scratch rig tonight with it and it is nearly as good for my eyes as my sentinel. my eye sight is degrading pretty fast for the last couple of years and while back light is always an issue it has gotten to were I can't see jack without a cape or a pancake. my next hood may very well be another wendy's pancake with the flip front for grinding.

11. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://usaweld.com/products/striker...welding-helmet
    For anybody else who might be looking. They get good reviews.
    With an auto helmet, I keep a striker handy on the welder cart. Strike it and test, just for the general principle of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll report on this soon. 150pawn shop grab. One day a guy wouldn't budge off 200 today a woman said yes to my 150 offer.
    Doubt its ever seen an arc.

Direct comparison to digital infinity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    If you've used a fixed shade for 44 years, I suspect you're gonna be disappointed with an autodark. I've never seen an autodark that gave as good a view of the puddle as a fixed shade. I have a Miller Digital Elite that I paid about $275 for 10 years ago, but it can't hold a candle to my gold glass fixed-shade, so I only use the autodark for tacking or when under the truck or in a position where I can't nod down the shield easily...

Also, be sure you'll be able to replace the headgear, since that goes bad after a while...one reason I bought a Jackson for my fixed shade (headgear is easy to get and not too expensive).
    Kelvin, you really should at least try some of the newer 4C hood offerings. Like you, the first auto hold I had was purchased long ago, when a rep came by our shop, was an early Speed-Glass unit. I was doing a lot of fixture work on aluminum, and thought it would be handy to have. They’ve come a long way since then, especially with the 4C hoods lately. Remember the old gold tinted lenses that were popular in the late 90s for clarity? They’re better than those.

I’d also recommend the Viking 3350 4C mentioned above if cost isn’t a concern, or the Savage A40 that’s also been mentioned if money is tight, can’t miss with either of those. Both great hoods.

The Esab Sentinel is **** too, but the replacement covers are spendy.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 12-04-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll report on this soon. 150pawn shop grab. One day a guy wouldn't budge off 200 today a woman said yes to my 150 offer.
    Doubt its ever seen an arc.

Direct comparison to digital infinity

Looking at the headgear pic on the box side makes me think that may be the 4th gen hood, if so you got a great deal
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't a 4th gen

It is new. Its not broken in to anyone's head.

It was an impulse buy. Probably could have spent 150 on something else. I like the color better compared to clear light green hue.

In the video the clear light is first.

My DI is now form fitted to my head. I can also see the edge of the filter while welding with the 4c the DI has a much bigger area.

Anyways heres the vid

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good, you should buy some helmet for eye protection i think auto will be good

Post Thanks / Like

hi!
    I would suggest you to visit some good review sites they would suggest you best one. Recently i was looking for some good helmet i came across: https://myweldingyard.com/best-welding-helmet/
    They had written good reviews, that would help you in choosing good product.
    Last edited by franklin; 12-06-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

3350 4th gen

So I have some burn time
    Not sure what I was expecting but being as optically its rated better than the miller hoods I was thinking I'd notice something in that area however in that area all I notice is color I do like the bluish color compared to miller. Head gear is comfortable and will continue to shape to my head and get more comfortable

I tried grind mode dont like how long I had to hold the button to turn it on then I flashed myself when continuing with my weld ill likely not use grind mode again.

Tried to lay under a jeep and weld the infinity definitely has me spoiled there. At that point the 3350 was put away for the rest of the night. With the infinity it seems I can weld with my head looking in the wrong direction.

3350 is noticably lighter the hood stays up when you want it up. Clarity is exceptional just like infinity head gear feels good and I dig theres no bull **** like miller weld timer clock and whatever bs is on the infinity that is un needed. It is less expensive and the hood to buy for all around welding.

Buy the DI if you find yourself welding with your cheek in the dirt its added view area is amazing. My eyes can't detect why its not rated a 1111

Post Thanks / Like

3350 4th gen

My eyes can't detect why its not rated a 1111

I'm not surprised, I doubt most/any could.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

so, for what its worth, ive burned around 50 lbs of .035 mig wire, and a much maller amount of tig filler while watching thru this new lens its good would recommend

Post Thanks / Like

I just upgraded to the newest YesWelder 302C after looking at dozens of A/D helmets and reading even more reviews. This helmet has contributed more to my welding prowess than months of practice with lower quality auto-darkening helmets. Large viewing area, true color, side windows that keep you from bumping into stuff. But it is the clarity and the widest range of shade level (DIN 5-9/9-13) that makes it enjoyable. Compared to my best friends $330 Miller A/D helmet it is superior in clarity, shade range and viewing area - and more comfortable.

I paid $124.00 direct from YesWelder but they've gone up to $140. https://yeswelder.com/products/auto-...iABEgKC7_D_BwE

Post Thanks / Like

That yes welder is a good looking hood.

I dig it.

How much are the lense covers?

Post Thanks / Like

Find it odd hobby welders who spend money to be able to weld who nit pick over the better lowest priced budget hood.

I don't find it odd because I spent years, decades raising a family and getting by with what I could afford without taking bread off of the table. now an old man with terrible eye sight probably from staring at a oxy-fuel flame for decades I am lucky enough to have the ability to get what I want and have a stable of hoods but my eye sight is so degraded I am still always looking for something better even though I know deep down there probably isn't much help coming. I wouldn't wish eye problems on anyone, I am wearing up to 3.25 readers with a 2.5 cheater depending on which hood I use and still have trouble after a little time under the hood.
    I agree with you 100% on the difference between hoods, it is hard to tell the difference between some of them. I tried a bunch of miller, jackson and lincoln hoods at the same time and favored the 3350 but like you said I think it is the color more than anything. I ended up with a vulcan because it seemed just as good as the 3350 to my eyes and also a sentinel. I believe the sentinel is the better hood but I understand the concern some people have for the cover lens, I don't spend all day in it so I don't worry about it but for someone who makes their living with it in harsh conditions I can see it being an issue. I am using a pancake more and more and find myself using a pipeliner with a shade 8 gold lens more often for dc tig on the bench or in a vice. Oscar nailed it earlier, it all depends on your eyes and all of us see differently. as for budget hoods I don't have a problem with them but I wouldn't have bought a vulcan hood if the price was as close to a 3350 then as it is now.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you miss understood me.

I think if a guys broke nothing wrong with a fixed shade or save face etc. But I see guys buying welding machines or multiple machines spending who knows how much.
    Then crying over a hood.

I can't think of a reason why a welding machine would be purchased to save money. Definitely not for any auto projects as these eat money like black holes so again a person chose to spend this money.
    Often times these projects aren't finished the wife leaves and the guys broke with a garage full of tools and thankfully a cheap welding hood he saved a few bucks on. Wich I guess is fine to since it probably rarely got used

I have been interested in a good fixed shade to see what the pipeliners are fussing over. I want to try all the best stuff or atleast as much as I can afford to try.

Post Thanks / Like

My gawd, just buy a f_____g lid. Please stop these 'what welder to buy' and worse, 'what lid to buy' threads. The OP's intro is just click bait for those who can't resist.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha yes

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist