Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need welding hood advice please .....

Post Thanks / Like

Need welding hood advice please .....

OK ... so I got my first welding helmet when I was 14 ... simple old time Fibre-Metal unit. Still have it 44 years later.

That said, it is time for an auto darkening unit. I had a cheap one once (probably Harbor Freight) .. about 15 years ago ... it kind of worked.

I do a bit of everything .... stick, MIG, TIG ....

So I started looking ... had never even heard about "true color" ... or Optical 1/1/1/2 or 1/1/1/1

Soooooooo .... where do I begin?

I see you can spend $50 to $500

Since I am more of a "hobbyist" ... just run a small one man business (I am a retired machinist ... am building a new shop 3500 sq ft, still have all my machines .. build the odd trailer .. always repairing something ... no lack of work, surrounded by farmers in rural VT) ... I would like to stay in the lower end of the scale if possible (say $100 - $150).

That said, I want to be safe and keep my eye sight! I would spend $500 if it meant saving my sight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks .... Mike

Just FYI .... attached a picture. In the background it my original "Sears" 300 amp buzz box ... now 44 year old .. and in the foreground my AIRCO (Esab) DIP_PAK 300. Both are inside the house while I build the new shop (rest of the machines are stuffed into a tractor trailer beside the house). Behind the welders is my last project ... turned the mast off an old forklift into a elevator ... my wife was paralyzed from the shoulders down in a diving accident when she was 12. $40K to buy an elevator ... $2K to build one.

Name:  P1220682.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  95.8 KB
    Last edited by xtal_01; 10-09-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need welding hood advice please .....

You may want to look at new auto hoods for under $100.00.
    I purchased mine in 2017 for under $60.00 made by Lincoln at Home Depot.
    Works great.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by xtal_01 View Post
    OK ... so I got my first welding helmet when I was 14 ... simple old time Fibre-Metal unit. Still have it 44 years later.

That said, it is time for an auto darkening unit. I had a cheap one once (probably Harbor Freight) .. about 15 years ago ... it kind of worked.

So I started looking ... had never even heard about "true color" ... or Optical 1/1/1/2 or 1/1/1/1

Since I am more of a "hobbyist" ... just run a small one man business (I am a retired machinist ... am building a new shop 3500 sq ft, still have all my machines .. build the odd trailer .. always repairing something ... no lack of work, surrounded by farmers in rural VT) ... I would like to stay in the lower end of the scale if possible (say $100 - $150).

That said, I want to be safe and keep my eye sight! I would spend $500 if it meant saving my sight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks .... Mike
    Last edited by smithdoor; 10-09-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For shop work I’d recommend a Jackson auto dark hood. They’re not expensive and they’re good hoods, I like mine a lot. For outside work, I use a Honeywell sugar scoop with an ArcOne Tradesmen lens (auto dark, fixed shade) or the Lincoln 4C lens, or if you want to spend a little more look at a pancake hood, great for outdoors. CMR is a great company for pancakes (use one at work with a Tradesmen lens).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Be for I purchased my auto hood in 2017, I only used the old fashion flip lens with gold lens. Now I will only use auto hood's.
    They can be adjust for 5 - 12.

I do have one leather hood that is still flip type for tight locations but rarely in tight locations.

Dave

PS: I would not buy hood from Harbor Freight. Buy a better brand.
    I have purchased from Harbor freight but not safey equipment I draw the line at safety.

Quote Originally Posted by xtal_01 View Post

Any suggestions?

Thanks .... Mike
    Last edited by smithdoor; 10-09-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Lincoln Viking 3350 4C. The basic black helmet is around $220.

6. Likes Brazin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like my arcone, and I prefer the gold lens in it too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Esab SavageA40 is a good one for less than $100. Check at Cyberweld.com.

Search the forum - someone has posted a photo taken through the hood...

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a shot of the view through my Savage A40.

David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

A more expensive hood does not protect yer eyes any better than one that costs less.

Lots of good choices in yer $100-150 price range.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

11. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro star x540vp great viewing area. Reasonable price for a serious hobbyist or pro. Love mine.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've used a fixed shade for 44 years, I suspect you're gonna be disappointed with an autodark. I've never seen an autodark that gave as good a view of the puddle as a fixed shade. I have a Miller Digital Elite that I paid about $275 for 10 years ago, but it can't hold a candle to my gold glass fixed-shade, so I only use the autodark for tacking or when under the truck or in a position where I can't nod down the shield easily...

Also, be sure you'll be able to replace the headgear, since that goes bad after a while...one reason I bought a Jackson for my fixed shade (headgear is easy to get and not too expensive).
    Last edited by Kelvin; 10-09-2020 at 08:08 PM.

14. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the harbor freight hoods are 90 day warranty.
    Most Millers are 3 years.
    I would go to local supplier and test drive their hemlets. Headbands, viewing area, and shade color all vary.
    Ease of adjustments too. Additional lighting will definitely help too.
    Many headbands on the expensive hoods have more adjustments. Not only hood drop and stop but also distance from face to inside of hood closeness .
    Definitely try before buying .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    A more expensive hood does not protect yer eyes any better than one that costs less.

Lots of good choices in yer $100-150 price range.
    Yup. All auto-darkening take a finite amount of time, around 1/20th of a millisecond to darken. So for those 1/20th of a millisecond, your eyes see the full brightness of the arc. You wont be exposed to any UV, just brightness. How well your eyes handle that depends on your eyes.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a hobbyist for a year or so, but one thing to consider is the size of the viewing area. My first mask had what looked to be a large window from the outside, but much of that was actually the area that is used for charging the battery on the helmet. My second one had a much bigger viewing area, and I greatly preferred that - easier to see what is going on.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine on AMAZON, I think it was about 80 bucks, TACKLIFE BRAND, great visibility and color tones, 4 sensors, grind mode, very good reaction time and adjustable up to shade 3-5 and 8-12, it also has the best headgear I've used.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 10-09-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much guys!

After 40 plus years of my old Fibre-metal with a fixed gold lens, it is time to upgrade.

It will be nice to stay on target rather than moving slightly each time I shake my head to drop the hood.

Thanks again ... Mike

20. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you I also started with a HF. It worked, for a while.Anyway I went online and nosed about.To cut through the lard and get to the ham I bought this one.What a huge difference. I am well pleased with this purchase.And, BTW, the salesman told me that the helmet was made buy Lincoln Electric..The one I purchased was like $89.98
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Auto...met/1000003026
    Last edited by Kenskip1; 10-11-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn ... looks like they have discontinued it. Was dropped from $119 to $23 final price and they listed as sold out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a few of the lower priced 1/1/1/1 and 1/1/1/2 rated lens. They are better then the old Jackson Nexgen i use to own or the older Miller Performance of Elite lens i ve used. However the Lincoln 4C is probably the best 1/1/1/1 lens i ve tried so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I got mine on AMAZON, I think it was about 80 bucks, TACKLIFE BRAND, great visibility and color tones, 4 sensors, grind mode, very good reaction time and adjustable up to shade 3-5 and 8-12, it also has the best headgear I've used.
    I have one just like it and really like it. The thing I like the most is how light weight it is.
    Trailblazer 302
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Lincoln SP 135 T
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo ... did some looking ...

If I am looking at a Lincoln for about $100, then I am looking at a "small" glass area .. about 6 sq inches ... Viking 1740

Jumping to the 1840 series ...still small window ... almost $160

The 2450 series with 9.3" of glass almost $200

The 3350 series with 12.3 sq inches of glass is $250

It seems from what most people are saying, the 4C Lincoln technology is very good ...in fact all the complaints in the reviews are of the headband.

Obviously, I don't buy a hood often so I am looking at the 3350 series but I have to say $250 hurts the pocket book.

Here is a "no name" alternative I found ... 4.4 / 5 on amazon ... 1/1/1/1 true color .... 14.8 sq in of glass .... $86

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKNBJHM/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

It sounds too good to be true and that is what scares me.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

if you read the specs on the amazon helmet,it's really a 1/1/1/2 lens.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can see this is an upgraded version with 1/1/1/1 ... but I am verifying this ... just sent the question to the seller.

Thanks for noticing that!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern would be 'where do you buy replacement consumables' as most autodark helmets have a sacrificial clear outer lens that needs replaced periodically. If the yeswelder helmet uses the same lens as a name brand, seems like a good deal. Without the replacement parts, you may be out of luck in a few years. Also, does it allow insertion of 'cheater' lenses? (i.e., reading glasses for helmets)? Adding cheaters to both my helmets made an incredible difference to my old eyes.

EDIT: in reading the Amazon page, I do see that it is 'cheater lens' compatible.
    Last edited by Dave66; 10-12-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X