+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need welding hood advice please .....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need welding hood advice please .....

At $220, the Lincoln seems like a decent deal ...

"IF" the Yeswelder is equivalent at less than half the cost ($86) ... than it would be the way to go.

Just trying to "guess" since I am not use if there is a good way to know for sure, which of the two I should choose.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I know for certain that the 4C performs well with DC TIG. Some of the $100 range helmets I've tried had a tendency to arc flash me with DC TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

I had not head that before ... thought I do see lots some review comments about "flashing".

Soooo .... just thinking (ouch) .....

I have never tired "cheaters". Now that I am getting older, I started wearing reading glasses (low power just 1.5's). I am wearing them now so the computer screen does not look fuzzy.

From what I am seeing, the cheaters are about 4" x 2"

Is it a waste to get a hood with this much of an opening if you are going to use cheaters that only cover half the area or is it still nice to have that much light coming in or ?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to use a cheater lens there is no benefit to going with the larger viewing area lens. In a Viking 4C if I were using a cheater, I d go with a 2450. Lowest shade on the 1840 is 9. The 2450 goes down to 5. I frequently use a shade 8 range for TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

have an older lens that is "solar" powered and find it is not reliable in colder temps. do have 3350 (solar with battery assist) and adjustable settings that works all the time in various temp situations. Also cheater friendly (old and damaged eyes)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Think I will just bight the bullet and order the 3350 today. I have never used cheaters and don't know if I will even like them or not.

Interesting about the cold temps. I don't try to weld outside in the middle of winter but it has happened. I live in VT ... I have been outside trying to repair equipment when the temp was -30 !

The one I found (Yesweld) seemed to do everything the Lincoln did (and the manufacturer did say the new version is 1/1/1/1) ... and I try to avoid paying for a "brand name" .. but in this case since we are talking safety I am guessing it is an extra $130 well spent.

I truly appreciate all the advice ... and finding the hood at $30 less than I found it for.

Once the new shop is built, I will need to bug you guys again (probably 6 months to a year) ... next toy on the list is an AC Tig unit. I got lucky where I use to live ... a friend spent $5000 on a Mill Syncrowave .. water cooled torch .. all kinds of goodies .... wayyyyyy out of my budget. Now that I moved, I have no equipment to weld aluminum anymore ... I have started to really miss this!

Thanks so much again !!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

All welding helmets are designed to protect workers from the ultraviolet and infrared dangers emitted from welding arcs. Still there are many options on the market. Knowing whether you will be using the helmet for one specific task or many is the first consideration. Aside from that there is budget, weight, viewing lens and more. Most of all choose a helmet that’s most comfortable for you and that you can wear for an extended period of time if needed. Taking the extra time to choose the right fit can pay off in terms of productivity and weld quality. All lighter weight welding boots, helmetshttps://myweldingyard.com/best-tig-welding-helmet/ and plasma cutters will reduce fatigue with extended use. Choosing your helmet weight will really depend on the combination of all of the other factors along with how long each day you plan on using it. Again, if welding is your primary task, choose a welding helmet with the lightest weight possible for your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also in the market for a new hood. Have only used jackson autos, and fixed gold. Thinking about miller digital elite... price is not an issue. Any feedback appreciated,or other suggestions. A co-worker just got a new miller T94i with the integrated clear shield, and I think it is silly. He can't decide which one to flip up. Definitely staying old school/conventional, and dont need side lenses or any "features" just looking for best clarity and performance, and need to be able to use a cheater for some work.

Post Thanks / Like

How about jackson trusight II? Who's running new versions of these or the miller hoods?

Post Thanks / Like

OK ... got my Lincoln 3350 in today.

Man, compared to my 44 year old Fibre Metal it is fancy ... does not seem to be as "industrial". I am betting it will not take the abuse my old one has.

Just put it on ... adjusted it ... tried the test button.

I will set up the welder tomorrow and see how it works.

I am guessing it will pretty awesome!

Just the idea of auto darkening and not having to flip down the hood is exciting!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    I am also in the market for a new hood. Have only used jackson autos, and fixed gold. Thinking about miller digital elite... price is not an issue. Any feedback appreciated,or other suggestions. A co-worker just got a new miller T94i with the integrated clear shield, and I think it is silly. He can't decide which one to flip up. Definitely staying old school/conventional, and dont need side lenses or any "features" just looking for best clarity and performance, and need to be able to use a cheater for some work.
    The Miller Elite with the Clearlight is real good. Very clear and defined view through the lens. Admittedly though, I like that the shade adjustment pot on my Viking 3350 4C allows me to adjust the shade to settings like 8.25, 8.5, and 8.75, whereas the digital shade adjustment on my Elite jumps from 8 to 9.

Post Thanks / Like

How about jackson trusight II? Who's running new versions of these or the miller hoods?
    Real good clear defined view through the Trusight ll lens. Not real fond of the green blue / blue green tint though

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you found a hood.

Could you please post more pics and info of your home made elevator?
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your fibre metal. They are and industrial standard in my opinion. I prefer my flip window fibre metal, just ad an auto dark insert lens in it.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

I have been kicking this around for a bit, and think I am going to order the miller digital elite, but I can't seem to find any details on cheater lens compatability. Does anyone know if a standard cheater will work, or if not what one will??

Post Thanks / Like

I have been kicking this around for a bit, and think I am going to order the miller digital elite, but I can't seem to find any details on cheater lens compatability. Does anyone know if a standard cheater will work, or if not what one will??
    The Elite accepts a standard cheater lens.
    As I ve pointed out previously the Clearlight lens in the Elite is real good. Significantly better then the lens in the older Elite helmets.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend you to go through the following article. All of the helmets are high quality with cheapest price on amazon. The budget helmets with ADF.

18. Dislikes LtBadd disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Dan. I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Miller Digital Elite I bought maybe 6-8 yrs ago for about $275-$300. It's better than a $50 Northern Tool autodark, but not 6X as good.

I use a fixed shade shield about 80% of the time. The difference between that and any autodark I've ever used is like night and day. No comparison.

If I had it to do again, I'd probably get a cheap autodark for tacking and use under vehicles, etc., where I can't nod down a fixed-shade shield, and use a fixed shade for everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

The Digital Elite is $215 at IOC, if you sign up for their email list you'll get a discount on the 1st order

It's a good helmet, and for TIG welding the Xmode is nice, and as stated before it accepts a standard cheater, I recommend get a glass one.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

A 6 - 8 yr old Elite helmet isn't going to have the current ClearLight lens in it. The quality of view through a Clearlight lens is significantly better then the lens it replaced in the Elite helmet.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, just an update ....

I got the Lincoln 3350 .. finally got to use it this weekend.

I honestly don't know how I lived without it!

First, it is CLEAR!

I am amazed how little shade there is when not active ... I was using it outside tonight and still could see no problem.

Auto darkening is amazing .... no more flipping my head. I was under the car today ... wow ... could keep the mig gun right on spot ... normally I would be fighting to get the hood or visor down (laying on my side) without loosing track of where I wanted to weld.

If I had one complaint ... it would be the head gear. It fits and since I am bald, no problem pulling hair ... but it is hard to get use to the ratchet. Just a touch ... or not tight enough and it pops loose. With just the right amount of tension on it, it stays fine.

I did manage to accidentally hit the grind button once ... I will need to be careful when I crawl under something.

All in all, very happy! makes welding a lot more pleasurable

Thanks for all the advice !!!!!!!!

Mike

PS .... Stick-man .. I haven't forgotten about the elevator pictures. I just haven't had time to take some updated ones. After having 2" of snow on the ground, we are having a heat wave here in Vermont ... 70 for a a few days then 50 for a few ... then back to coldddddddd. I am trying to get a few projects outside wrapped up (just got in and it is after 12 ... already have the alarm set for 6). I will get some posted.

24. Likes DavidR8, INXS2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Digital elite showed up today. Headgear is very comfortable, but feels flimsy. Helmet is also flimsy feeling. Not hard, but flexible. Lens is out of this world good! Time will tell. So far I like it alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Find it odd hobby welders who spend money to be able to weld who nit pick over the better lowest priced budget hood.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Same here have a fibre metal hood from 1990, not too long ago bought a Arcone HD Auto lens. Get to use my old hood, bought lens a LWS.

https://www.amazon.com/ArcOne-S240-1.../dp/B00206Y4B8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist