+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best grinder disk for cutting metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best grinder disk for cutting metal.

After trying one, I'm now a fan of the Lennox diamond-coated cut off disks. There are other brands, but Lennox is available at the local hardware stores so that's why I use.

They cut a hair slower than an abrasive disk, but they don't put out any of the crud and don't shink in size as you're cutting. Best part is that you don't have to worry about them exploding on you and sending shrapnel flying around!

I keep some abrasive disks in the drawer simply because I had them before I bought the diamond-coated disk. I can't see me going back to them, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
    Does that mean a wrench is not needed to install either?
    No wrench needed. Just make sure you snug up the nut good when you install the wheel. If you "tighten" the nut by turning on the grinder, you WILL need a wrench to get the nut back off.

3. Likes ronsii, Photobug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    After trying one, I'm now a fan of the Lennox diamond-coated cut off disks. There are other brands, but Lennox is available at the local hardware stores so that's why I use.

They cut a hair slower than an abrasive disk, but they don't put out any of the crud and don't shink in size as you're cutting. Best part is that you don't have to worry about them exploding on you and sending shrapnel flying around!

I keep some abrasive disks in the drawer simply because I had them before I bought the diamond-coated disk. I can't see me going back to them, though.
    I bought one of those over a year ago but haven't tried it yet, this thread reminded me of it. How is the Lennox as far as control, like making a straight cut? I have over a hundred abrasive discs right now and I far prefer the thin ones for control, and they put off a lot less crud than the cheap, thick ones. Being thin they slice the material nice with less effort thus easier to "steer", and they don't "grab" as long as you are careful not to twist them. I use Pferd, Walter and recently Makita 5" which are one of my favorites although they are a tight fit on some grinders (with the guard on)
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the must have grinder disks, cut-offs, blades to have?

I have two boxes of my first disk purchase and they are of suspsect quality. I am looking to order from Lehigh abrasives and want a good selection of blades, disks. I saw this and thought it might come in handy. What else would be good to have for future metal work?

https://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.co...22-61463615722

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good results from the "Sait" brand grinding wheels from LVA. I chose them because they were cheap, but they seem to work damn well.

I also like the Metabo Slicers (cut-off wheels) for my 7" angle grinder. When they wear down and are too small for the 7" grinder, I take them off and put them on the 4-1/2" grinder...

Post Thanks / Like

I have two boxes of my first disk purchase and they are of suspsect quality. I am looking to order from Lehigh abrasives and want a good selection of blades, disks. I saw this and thought it might come in handy. What else would be good to have for future metal work?

https://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.co...22-61463615722
    If you're just asking about all types that get used a lot (not just cut-off and grinding) I suggest experimenting with cheap stuff from amazon first to find what you like (ie what grit and type of flap disc, wire loose or knotted on brushes, etc). Then when you find which you reach for the most, get them in a quality version.

Post Thanks / Like

Some cutting disc's/grinding disc's are just junk and you can't compare them with a quality disc. Walter, Tyrolit, Norton, 3M and some others have several versions of quality disc's.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a mix of cheap disks, flap disks from Amazon and other disks from Harbor Freight. Looking forward to trying out the better quality disks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you REALLY feel the need to use a wrench and don't have one/lost it, find a piece of 1/8" x 3/4" flat bar, drill two 1/8" holes = the nut holes spacing and tack weld 1/8" rod in them (use a 1/8 welding rod with flux scraped off if you don't have 1/8" stock).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist