+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonna give gas a try; want advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gonna give gas a try; want advice.

Would have to see what wire speed the wires you plan to use require. Extra torque gives greater precision at lower wire speeds.

https://www.airgas.com/product/Weldi...s/p/LINK2613-7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    Turns out my LN25 is the extra torque model: max 400 wire speed.

What are the pros and cons of that?
    Good for running large diameter wires. For example with .035 hard wire you would be limited to approximately 21 volts at max wire speed of your feeder.

Post Thanks / Like

400 IPM on the WFS is about 175-180A on 035 solid wire. You'd need 045 - 052 solid wire to get more amperage.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing i didnt by a gun yet. Guess ill go with 1/16 gassless and an .052 dual shield for now.

Straight co2 tank. Ill try migging for the future when i have a different wire feeder.

Thanks for all the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm back... I bought a used LF72.

Picked up .035 L56, .045 Outershield 71, and .072 nr232. Will set up the LN25 for the .072, and keep the gas on the shop setup. Going straight CO2 for now but may add Argon in the future and mix the 2.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm back... I bought a used LF72.

Picked up .035 L56, .045 Outershield 71, and .072 nr232. Will set up the LN25 for the .072, and keep the gas on the shop setup. Going straight CO2 for now but may add Argon in the future and mix the 2.

Post Thanks / Like

I weld on heavy equipment. I run a Lincoln Commander 500, 2- LN-25's and a Miller Super S32P. Hard wire in the Miller, inner and outer shield in the LN's. I run 400A gas guns. They're not much bigger than the 300, and they will handle anything I need and I keep less consumables on hand. I do use a K126 innershield gun for that. Don't hesitate to shop ebay, there are a ton of great deals on guns there. I just picked up a spare Lincoln K126 for like $65 in mint condition.

As far as outershield, Lincoln 71A85 is a fantastic wire, and I use C25 with it. That wire runs so nice, in any position. I do prefer larger flux cored wires than .045

As far as hard wire, I use .045 most, with C25.
    Last edited by Stick-man; 10-25-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup... Ebay is where I got the LF72. In fact I have many ebay tools including a k126 for the .072 innershield. I went with .072 nr232 because lincoln's specs show it able to weld with less amps and with more efficiency than other sizes. Anyone know why (or if there's truth to it)? I have yet to try it out.

Here is the chart showing .072 going from 130 amps to 350.
    https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...2/c3200012.pdf

I did have time to play with .035 70s-6 today. I have a co2 bottle and argon bottle and Y'd them together to test different mixes. Went from 15.5v on up to 30+v. Got into a zone that sounded like firecrackers, guessing that's globular. Big BB's forming on the wire and then dropping into the puddle with a bang; weld still looked nice. The spray zone sounded like a whisper, almost silent. As I stepped the voltage up by 0.5v at a time I changed the rhythm from buzz, to slower buzz, to thunder drops, to silence. Also... I could move from thunder drops toward the buzz by increasing co2 or running straight co2. Interesting stuff. By the way, it sure is nice without slag; I turned a 3/16 plate into a 5/8 without touching a brush. Even on straight co2 the spatter was nothing.

I'm going to play around with this for a while before moving on to the dual shield.

Post Thanks / Like

Do have one question: how in the world can I wrangle in the burn back with spray. I had my post burn feed turned up and still had to work the trigger strategically to save tips and time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist