Thread: Another P&H oldie but goodie (I hope) thread

Post Thanks / Like

Another P&H oldie but goodie (I hope) thread

Hey All! I just got my P&H wired up and it WORKS!!! Well it works for stick welding anyway. It came wit 2 torches. One is generic and has a dial taped to the side that goes to a 5 pin connector. The 5 pin appears to be an add on from sometime after Allen Bradley was done with it. It also came with a water cooled Heli Arc torch, and a pedal. My question is this... What in the hell do I do with the pedal? It has (1) 2 prong plug and (1) 3 prong plug (in picture 1). The machine has (2) 4 prong outlets on the left (female 1 with 3 straights and a ground, the other is 4 prong circular) and another set of plugs on the right (recessed male circular connectors. 1 is 2 prong with a peg for ground in the center the other is 3 prong locking on the right of picture 2)
    I know the welder in the pics says Westinghouse but it has the same model number as my P&H and is identical. I don't currently have a camera so I'm relegated to whatever I can find on the interweb. That's why I don't have any pics of the pedal or it's connectors.

Thanks in advance!
    Danderson
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another P&H oldie but goodie (I hope) thread

Update!!!
    I'm still keeping the hope alive! No real idea about the pedal yet, but i flipped the HF to continuous and left the selector on panel, and heard what i can only assume was high frequency! I also did a little weld on AC special low amp. (1/16 rod so thats the only range i tried) I flipped it back to DC straight polarity and did some test welding on sheet metal from a florescent light hood. (you know that's thin) One weld worked but with low penetration running at 12ish amps, A second attempt was a good one at the same amperage but with a slight gap to fill. I'm feeling confident enough I'm going into production mode on a fender cranking it all the way up to 14 Amps!

They say these P&H machines are smooth from way low to wide open, and I have to say I'm seriously impressed. A low experience arc welder can tap start an arc and manipulate it smoothly and consistently at 12 amps... WOW!
    Last edited by Danderson; 10-11-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Westinghouse made a lot of advancements in welding machines and wonder if they were somehow partnered with P&H at some point?

Post Thanks / Like

If the one foot peddle with the two plugs is made out of diamond plate and painted grey. It could be from a Lincoln tig 300/300. They had a two pin lamp plug with a three pin plug. two pin was the contactor and three was the current control.
    Welder in your picture does the same thing with different plugs. twist lock for current control and the 4 blade plug is contactor. Not all pins/ blades are used.

5. Likes 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    If the one foot peddle with the two plugs is made out of diamond plate and painted grey. It could be from a Lincoln tig 300/300. They had a two pin lamp plug with a three pin plug. two pin was the contactor and three was the current control.
    Welder in your picture does the same thing with different plugs. twist lock for current control and the 4 blade plug is contactor. Not all pins/ blades are used.
    Miller/Airco did the same thing in the early days of the DialArc HF machines.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man... I thought I posted this 4 days ago!!!

CCAWGC You are close, no diamond plate but it is grey.

Yes you are correct 12V75! I figured it out and it IS a Miller pedal, model# HFC-23A. Now for the real question... Can I convert this to a 5 pin? neither of the plugs are even close to fitting anywhere on the machine. It does have a 5 pin receptacle that was added at some point to use the thumb wheel attached to the water cooled torch.

I heard it through the grapevine that the pedal i got wont work. They also said the wheel was used with the pedal??? I thought the thumb wheel was if you didn't have or want to use the pedal. I;m so confued , I dont even see how the amperage gets to the torch. So how does it?

On another note, I just saw Miller on Marketplace that would use this pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

OK i opened up the welder and the pedal... I looks like the two wires for the contactor are going to be self explanatory. The 3 for amperage control are a mystery. one goes to each end of the resistor/rheostat and the third to the variable contact. I just don't know witch is which, or if I'll muck anything up if I try to experiment. There is no schematic inside the door to help figuring anything out.

Post Thanks / Like

As log as the center taps both go to the same you'll know if the end taps are reversed when you go to use it This of course assumes the potentiometers/rheostats are the same or close enough in value to function similarly...

11. Likes 12V71, Danderson, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how mine is wired. I could not believe how dirty the machine was inside. Those things take a licking and keep on ticking.

Not sure if you can see what is happening there. The red and white wire are going to the resistor, and the black wire is going to the arm. Red if looking at the male plug as if it was plugged in, you have green ground at 12:00, red at 3:00, Black at 6:00, White at 9:00.

Name:  P&H-1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  225.0 KB

Name:  P&H-2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  P&H-3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  P&H-4.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  210.5 KB

Sincerely,

William McComrick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post