Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat Soak Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat Soak Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    Yeah. I was under it yesterday looking at the bed bolts. They don't look too rusty. Going to start soaking them with PB Blaster. I like the idea of pulling the bed to be able to get to everything from the top. Pulling those tanks out is a PITA.

Got other stuff to do on that truck after all these years too. The #1 plug is rusted and rounded. Not good. I ordered a couple of special sockets from SK to see if I can get it out without pulling the head. It runs OK, but is overdue for an ignition tune up. The other 5 loosened up fine. After that, pan gasket, rear trans seal leaks, brakes. After 195K, its time to catch up on stuff.

Any ideas for how to get that plug out would be welcome.
    You might think about cutting a panel in the bed to give access then depending on how/where you cut it weld a frame under(like a drywall repair) or just bolt it back in. personally I usually just drop the tanks... kind of a PITA but simpler than lifting the whole bed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    "Any ideas for how to get that plug out would be welcome."
    If you can get around it, slip a very large nut over it. MIG it to the steel.
    If you can't make room, break off the porcelain. Slip an impact socket over it, and weld it to it with 6011 filler. The heat from welding might help, but be careful not to get the head too hot.
    It'll take a tremendous lever of patience wiggling the socket back & forth, I think it'll loosen.

Friday I had two grade 2? bolts rusted solid in the end of two shafts, and broke off 1/4" deep. Only welder I had was MIG. With patience I built up flush, then a good sized ball of filler sticking out. It took 15 minutes each of wiggling with vice grips to free the thread. One of the two was bent halfway through the thread.
    Thats the next thing to try if the fancy sockets don't work. The 13/16 version was a little too big to fit in the cavity so I took some metal off with the lathe. It didn't get a good grip. Next up is 19MM and 17MM. Damn thing is really stuck- i was pulling pretty hard on a breaker bar. That doesn't work, big nut and 6011 as above. Worry there is some of the porcelain could end up in the combustion chamber. We will see. Worst case is pull the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    You might think about cutting a panel in the bed to give access then depending on how/where you cut it weld a frame under(like a drywall repair) or just bolt it back in. personally I usually just drop the tanks... kind of a PITA but simpler than lifting the whole bed
    I hear you, but if the bolts come out, my two post friend can pick that bed up no problem.

See how it goes. Its all fixable, just a matter of how much trouble its going to be.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    I hear you, but if the bolts come out, my two post friend can pick that bed up no problem.

See how it goes. Its all fixable, just a matter of how much trouble its going to be.
    Just so you know, the bed bolts ARE NOT torx! They are torx plus!
    If you use regular torx on them you will more than likely strip out at least 2 and have to cut the heads off! Ask me how I know!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx#:...%20loose%20fit.

6. Likes ronsii, Capt B liked this post