+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat Soak Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat Soak Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    Yeah. I was under it yesterday looking at the bed bolts. They don't look too rusty. Going to start soaking them with PB Blaster. I like the idea of pulling the bed to be able to get to everything from the top. Pulling those tanks out is a PITA.

Got other stuff to do on that truck after all these years too. The #1 plug is rusted and rounded. Not good. I ordered a couple of special sockets from SK to see if I can get it out without pulling the head. It runs OK, but is overdue for an ignition tune up. The other 5 loosened up fine. After that, pan gasket, rear trans seal leaks, brakes. After 195K, its time to catch up on stuff.

Any ideas for how to get that plug out would be welcome.
    You might think about cutting a panel in the bed to give access then depending on how/where you cut it weld a frame under(like a drywall repair) or just bolt it back in. personally I usually just drop the tanks... kind of a PITA but simpler than lifting the whole bed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    "Any ideas for how to get that plug out would be welcome."
    If you can get around it, slip a very large nut over it. MIG it to the steel.
    If you can't make room, break off the porcelain. Slip an impact socket over it, and weld it to it with 6011 filler. The heat from welding might help, but be careful not to get the head too hot.
    It'll take a tremendous lever of patience wiggling the socket back & forth, I think it'll loosen.

Friday I had two grade 2? bolts rusted solid in the end of two shafts, and broke off 1/4" deep. Only welder I had was MIG. With patience I built up flush, then a good sized ball of filler sticking out. It took 15 minutes each of wiggling with vice grips to free the thread. One of the two was bent halfway through the thread.
    Thats the next thing to try if the fancy sockets don't work. The 13/16 version was a little too big to fit in the cavity so I took some metal off with the lathe. It didn't get a good grip. Next up is 19MM and 17MM. Damn thing is really stuck- i was pulling pretty hard on a breaker bar. That doesn't work, big nut and 6011 as above. Worry there is some of the porcelain could end up in the combustion chamber. We will see. Worst case is pull the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    You might think about cutting a panel in the bed to give access then depending on how/where you cut it weld a frame under(like a drywall repair) or just bolt it back in. personally I usually just drop the tanks... kind of a PITA but simpler than lifting the whole bed
    I hear you, but if the bolts come out, my two post friend can pick that bed up no problem.

See how it goes. Its all fixable, just a matter of how much trouble its going to be.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you, but if the bolts come out, my two post friend can pick that bed up no problem.

See how it goes. Its all fixable, just a matter of how much trouble its going to be.
    Just so you know, the bed bolts ARE NOT torx! They are torx plus!
    If you use regular torx on them you will more than likely strip out at least 2 and have to cut the heads off! Ask me how I know!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx#:...%20loose%20fit.

6. Likes ronsii, Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Only two pages. I must be slipping in my old age
    Well farmersammm I don't think you have completed this thread as yet as we haven't heard an update on the F150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gnewby View Post
    Well farmersammm I don't think you have completed this thread as yet as we haven't heard an update on the F150
    I'm still running the F-150 on the front tank. Sucky thing is........the gauge doesn't work on the front tank, so I use the trip meter thing on the speedo when I fill it.............then watch the # of miles since the fill

Post Thanks / Like

I figure I'm ok doing that because I always carry the cellphone. I never go far from home, so it's not too bad.

I figure if I run out of gas, I can call K'kins to run me some gas, or take me to the station.

Usually when I call during the day....................."What have you done now?" I mean..........she doesn't even let me start my speech, she just heaves a big sigh, and says that. I like to surprise her once in a while, and tell her that I called just to say hello, and "luv ya babe".

10. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to drop the tank and pull out the sending unit.

There is a place out there somewhere that rebuilds them

Can’t remember the name right now.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

12. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Only two pages. I must be slipping in my old age
    Well the good news is by the time you get the sending unit problem from the front tank,
    and the problem with not getting gas from the back tank you will probably be over four pages at least

14. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the next thing to try if the fancy sockets don't work. The 13/16 version was a little too big to fit in the cavity so I took some metal off with the lathe. It didn't get a good grip. Next up is 19MM and 17MM. Damn thing is really stuck- i was pulling pretty hard on a breaker bar. That doesn't work, big nut and 6011 as above. Worry there is some of the porcelain could end up in the combustion chamber. We will see. Worst case is pull the head.
    To follow up on this bit of thread hijack: Ended up pulling the stinkin head. Engine is back together and running OK now and its time to move onto the fuel feed issue. For you pull/no pull the bed fans: Got it off with little trouble. Soaked the bolts (dome head, not torx) with PB Blaster over a week or so and went after them with an impact at about 120 psi. Damn things were 18mm. Used a 6 or 12 inch extension as needed and a stout knuckle and they came off just fine. Its sitting on my two post as this is written. Tomorrow I will scope things out. Lots of crusty lines under that bed. Sure is nice to be able to stand up with it all in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Truck made it to the house last Wed., and promptly died in the driveway while I got out and unlocked the gate. It appears that the fuel filter is plugged again

I think the aluminized crap they make the tanks out of, has rusted from water in the gas, and the crap is getting sucked into the filter. I'm gonna see if I can fit the plastic tanks in the truck that later trucks had............probably mean a new fuel pump to fit those tanks too And some sorta new mounts

I had this happen with the behind the seat tank on the old 78 Powerwagon. I just quit using that tank, and only ran off the plastic in frame tank for about 10yrs.

Metal tanks SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Got around to removing the fuel filter to replace it. I blew through it, and it's not plugged. And I looked at the gasoline coming out of the supply line when cycling the pump.

The new filter I put on a few months back helped due to less resistance. But it's become apparent that the stinkin' pump is getting worse. So, it's time for a new pump I guess

I have to make a 160 mile round trip tomorrow. I hope the damn thing doesn't leave me walking.

I'm on K'kins AAA plan, so they'll come out and put the truck on a rollback to get it home if it pukes............but I have to leave the trailer on the side of the road. Which means I might as well say goodbye to the trailer. I'm not sure if a regular truck wrecker could pull the whole thing home.........I imagine they can......but the cost is gonna be prohibitive.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist