+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generac Generators ?

Post Thanks / Like

Generac Generators ?

Hi. Looking at a Generac generator on sale at Canadian Tire It is 9400w starting and 7500 running w
    It is on sale for $950 Canadian which seems like a keen price. any opinions or experience with Generac
    appreciated. Also wondering if anyone would know what the THD % figures would be on these models or
    where to ask to find it. I suppose to power a welder or power tools it wouldn't matter that much.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Generac Generators ?

i got a home depot special, it was $1400. that was too much. i screwed the first one up, it put out pretty good.. i bought a second, didnt seem to put out what the first did. its yellow, and supposedly 10000 starting 8000 running, i think. your limited for welding. it has a 14hs briggs on it i think. 1400 was too much. nowdays i could buy a costco on lil lesss watts, for far more less $. i wouldnt buy another

Post Thanks / Like

Generac Generators ?

I had a small 4000 watt Generac for 20 years.... always ran great.

just recently upgraded to this Pulsar .... neighbor has the 1000 version for a few years and loves it... for $942.00 Shipped, I said why not.

I was just running it today for a little exercise.

Bought it on Ebay (seller-autocaredepot)

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Email Generac customer service and they will tell you if it has clean-power.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Generally inverters have the cleanest power. Should be reviews on the generator if Canadian Tire sells it but Generac usually gets mixed reviews. What kind of welder do you want to run off it? I think it would be better to look for a used welder/generator. Might have to spend a little more but would be a much better option.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Yes it is. Would appreciate your opinion on it. Thanks. Could buy a slightly larger one [ Champion] For a
    little less money. But I think Champion is more Chinese .
    Last edited by Josey; 10-17-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Hi. Looking at a Generac generator on sale at Canadian Tire It is 9400w starting and 7500 running w
    It is on sale for $950 Canadian which seems like a keen price. any opinions or experience with Generac
    appreciated. Also wondering if anyone would know what the THD % figures would be on these models or
    where to ask to find it. I suppose to power a welder or power tools it wouldn't matter that much.
    Thanks
    Most generacs I've looked at are usually around 12-15% thd. You'd probably want 5% or less if your running an inverter welder.

edit- I just looked at Oscar's link, that one is not clean power.
    Last edited by Weldalittle; 10-17-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, that one is not <5% THD. Granted this email from Generac is old, but I'm sure it is still valid:

A pretty close match in price that does have clean power (<6% THD) is the Troy-Bilt 7000XP that I have. It's good enough for about 180A on the MIG and 120-150A on stick, depending on how much hot-start you dial in. Briggs & Stratton confirmed via email that the portable generators they manufacture are 3% ≤ THD ≤ 6%, and on the inverter-based generators THD ≤ 3%.
    Last edited by Oscar; 10-17-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not looking at high end generators. Champion generally get good reviews and are in the same category as Generac as far as quality. The Generac is likely just as Chinese as Champion. Generac is affiliated with Briggs & Stratton. Honda or maybe Subaru/Robin are a higher end generator than either Generac or Champion but obviously cost more. Have a friend who had the wiring in his RV fried using a Yamaha inverter that went south. Some of the welder/generator combo's run at half throttle when in generator mode which will save fuel and engine wear.

Post Thanks / Like

There is down side to large generators is use more fuel.
    I would size your water pump to keep fuel usage down.

Also look this one under $700.00
    https://www.harborfreight.com/9000-w...iii-63970.html

You buy a low cost tri fuel carb on Amazon

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Just a quick Interesting update on the generator. After finding out that Generac and champion are both
    in the 20 to 25% thd range. I was inquiring about Briggs and Stratton models also in Canadian tire They seemed
    To be higher priced and also made in china. But when I contacted them They said all there open frame generators
    are between 3 and 6 % thd and there inverters between2 and 3 % The one on sale at present
    10000 starting and 8000 running w on sale for $ 1299 Canadian. Down from $1599. I'm thinking that isn't
    a bad price for that generator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i got a home depot special, it was $1400. that was too much. i screwed the first one up, it put out pretty good.. i bought a second, didnt seem to put out what the first did. its yellow, and supposedly 10000 starting 8000 running, i think. your limited for welding. it has a 14hs briggs on it i think. 1400 was too much. nowdays i could buy a costco on lil lesss watts, for far more less $. i wouldnt buy another
    u got me curious, i did check what i got, it is a "generac exl 8000", thats supposedly 13,500 watts free spinning/8000 continous

Post Thanks / Like

1400 was too much. nowdays i could buy a costco on lil lesss watts, for far more less $. i wouldnt buy another

I have no idea what the hell you just said!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I have no idea what the hell you just said!
    what the **** would make u think i was talking to u ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I had a small 4000 watt Generac for 20 years.... always ran great.

just recently upgraded to this Pulsar .... neighbor has the 1000 version for a few years and loves it... for $942.00 Shipped, I said why not.

I was just running it today for a little exercise.

Bought it on Ebay (seller-autocaredepot)

How long will that thing run under full load with that can of propane?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't ever buy anything like that at Canadian tire.

anything they sell is a Canatin tire special production by the manufacturer.
    Contracts change every year.

It means, a year, maybe two, or three years in the future when you need to service it, maybe some carb parts or a muffler, whatever; you're **** out of luck.

CT carries no parts or service.
    You have to rely on the manufacturer, who made changes from their normal products to cheapen it for CT.

No parts, no info, it's all a throw away.

Examples
    Drill Dr - You can buy the shaprner, but no replacement wheels.
    Not anywhere in Canada, all online orders with credit card, no in person store sales anywhere in Canada

The Lincoln Welders, plastic parts used where welding shop models are aluminum.....

Lots of other examples over the years.

I'd look at Honda units.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    How long will that thing run under full load with that can of propane?
    Not sure yet Sam

The last storm we were out for I think four days.
    And my neighbor went through two of those bottles.

They are 40 pound bottles
    Locally $20 each to fill.

I currently have 100 gallon bottle for the kitchen stove top burners and T’d off to my outside barbecue grill.

I am probably going to upgrade to a 250 Gallon tank so I can run a line to the generator
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

19. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as THD
    I’m not overly concerned with that.

Our cable TV/Internet service arrives via telephone line /Coax
    So when the power goes out we usually also lose Internet service and TV anyway.

The big generator is mainly for central AC/boiler/well pump/lights etc.

If we really need to use a computer, I also have a 2000 W inverter I can throw on the back porch with an extension cord.
    That little bugger will run all day long on less than one tank of gas
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of a large tank is buying propane in July and August at lower prices for winter.

I also like a wet line for filling small tanks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Not sure yet Sam

The last storm we were out for I think four days.
    And my neighbor went through two of those bottles.

They are 40 pound bottles
    Locally $20 each to fill.

I currently have 100 gallon bottle for the kitchen stove top burners and T’d off to my outside barbecue grill.

I am probably going to upgrade to a 250 Gallon tank so I can run a line to the generator

Post Thanks / Like

what the **** would make u think i was talking to u ?
    gee azzwipe..you just make friends everywhere....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    The advantage of a large tank is buying propane in July and August at lower prices for winter.

I also like a wet line for filling small tanks.

Dave
    unless your tank is about 1000 gallons you wont make but a month or so in the winter and a percentage of the tank doesnt get filled so the propane can turn into a gas from liquid...average usage by me is about 150+ gallons a month with supplement wood heat..any tank I believe over 500 gallon must be buried..the tank and burying it is big $$$$ ..I have a prebuy contract from the propane supplier, so I pay the same price all year..or summer prices in the winter, I check around to see if they bump up the price in the summer compared to others for the prebuy and they dont...I have a large generac generator I put a converter on for trifuel...gasoline, propane and natural gas...its 23500 surge watts 18,000 continuous.its one of several generators I have..smaller ones for smaller jobs..the generac runs any heavy electrical equipment I have...

Post Thanks / Like

I am in California
    I had 2 500 gal tanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    unless your tank is about 1000 gallons you wont make but a month or so in the winter and a percentage of the tank doesnt get filled so the propane can turn into a gas from liquid...average usage by me is about 150+ gallons a month with supplement wood heat..any tank I believe over 500 gallon must be buried..the tank and burying it is big $$$$ ..I have a prebuy contract from the propane supplier, so I pay the same price all year..or summer prices in the winter, I check around to see if they bump up the price in the summer compared to others for the prebuy and they dont...I have a large generac generator I put a converter on for trifuel...gasoline, propane and natural gas...its 23500 surge watts 18,000 continuous.its one of several generators I have..smaller ones for smaller jobs..the generac runs any heavy electrical equipment I have...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I am in California
    I had 2 500 gal tanks

Dave
    where they for a commercial application? then above ground would be approved or whatever your regulations are.., but by me for residential, the largest above ground tank allowed is 500 gallon, thats what I have...going bigger didnt make financial sense, it would have cost enough not to break even with cheaper propane for over 20 years and with the prebuy program it would never pay off to get a bigger tank..but I can have multiple tanks if needed...

Post Thanks / Like

The tanks was use in June to August for foundry
    After time the cost of propane jump up.
    At end of September they where top off for heating till May or June.

If wonder how must propane I in summer is was 500 to 600 gallons per week.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    where they for a commercial application? then above ground would be approved or whatever your regulations are.., but by me for residential, the largest above ground tank allowed is 500 gallon, thats what I have...going bigger didnt make financial sense, it would have cost enough not to break even with cheaper propane for over 20 years and with the prebuy program it would never pay off to get a bigger tank..but I can have multiple tanks if needed...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist