+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7018 uphill stringers

Post Thanks / Like

7018 uphill stringers

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum. I’ve been self teaching myself to weld for close to the past six months now. 7018 uphill is whooping my tail right now, I’ve just now really tried to dial in on working on this. Any tips would be appreciated. I’m going around dead nuts 90 degree rod angle (5-10 degrees up at most) and running 1/8 electrode at 115 amps. I’m trying to hold the sides and go quick across the middle. I know I need to do a better job cleaning up the slag. Just wanted to get some critics and pointers. I know I need to be more consistent holding my sides to avoid undercut, and I have a long way to go. I’d just like to get a flat consistent bead.
    Thanks
    Name:  6tKxr0c-1.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  45.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AgDawg15; 10-19-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 7018 uphill stringers

You will probably have better luck using 3-32" till you get the hang of it. 80-85 amps is a good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Also you'll have to choose, you say you're practicing stringers but doing movements for a weave?

Stringers practice should be without a weave, in my opinion.

Some people still count a weave as a stringer if the weave is tight enough, but that's a lot of extra motion that isn't needed (again just my opinion).
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

4. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I’m attempting to do a slight manipulation side to side around 2x the diameter of the electrode but it’s not working out. I’m still getting built up metal in the middle and not holding the sides consistently and getting undercut. Would I be better off just focusing on no manipulation, tight arc length, with consistent travel speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgDawg15 View Post
    Well I’m attempting to do a slight manipulation side to side around 2x the diameter of the electrode but it’s not working out. I’m still getting built up metal in the middle and not holding the sides consistently and getting undercut. Would I be better off just focusing on no manipulation, tight arc length, with consistent travel speed?
    Yes, Turn your heat down a bit and try to just build up on your shelf. You want to just keep pushing the puddle up. A very slight up whip (SLIGHT) will help the puddle solidify, but don't let it interfere with fusion to the bottom of the groove.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As has been stated. Turn the heat down a little. I personally always run my uphill stringers with a little upward angle on the rod. Not 90* to the work. Tight arc and a steady push up. Too slow and it will blob or belly out on you. Too fast and you’ll have undercut.

With the weave you’re trying I’ll bet just bringing amps down to ~90 May net you a better result along with a slightly slower upward travel and more movement side to side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are several way to do vertical up, you'll find the one that works for you.

For stringers, 1/8" rod, I like 125+ amps so the puddle wets out and I can move along briskly.

I've even tried 135 amps, which worked well but got out of hand quick sometimes...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

125+ amps with a 1/8" 7018 rod is too hot (for me) for vertical up. Especially on 3/8" thick plate or less. On a 6" long vertical weld, you will start having digging or blow out problems when your 3/4 of the way up the plate, if your machine is set too hot. It's easier if you have a fillet weld to do vertical stringers on. A T joint or a heavy piece of angle iron will help you see and watch your weld toes.
    My vertical up stringers with 7018 have a slight oscillating motion to them.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

12. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

tighten up your arc. those spots where the puddle is falling out, you are probably long arcing, even though you may not realize it. You're not doing too terrible though.
    Miller Multimatic 255

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only time I use 1/8 for uphill is when there's enough material to act as a good heatsink, otherwise it gets out of hand, and I wind up burning through.

Name:  heavy duty hinges51.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  124.4 KB I tend to weld pretty slow, and 1/8 only works for me on thick stuff. I'm not good enough to run the bigger rod on relatively thin stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    It looks to me like your dragging the rod across the whole weld instead of hopping across it and pausing just long enough on each side to tie in..... and then continue to Z your way up. Plus you coupon is getting hotter and hotter with each pass so you'll have to adjust the heat to compensate.
    This. Hop across the middle and shorten the arc as you pause on the sides. It helps me to mentally play music in my head to get a perfect rhythym going, which is essential for smooth, consistent deposit.

17. Likes tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I could never get uphill to work at all. Then I got an inverter welder where the amps can be adjusted
    almost one at a time. And I finally managed to do a reasonable bead. The amps and rod size and metal thickness
    must all match and it will fall into place. I spent years frustration trying to get it with my big oil filled AC transformer
    with a 20amp gap between each setting

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist