Thread: Welding Regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Welding Regulator

What are the things we need to remember when buying an welding regulator?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Regulator

I'm not an expert in the topic, but I think we would need to know a bit more. What is it being used for? Acetylene, carbon dioxide, argon, etc? Is it really a regulator, or actually a flow meter?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I am looking for argon gas regulator for welding

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you get the right thread (CGA-580)
    Also remember you want a gage or flowmeter that reads flow not pressure (CFH)
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shasti View Post
    Actually I am looking for argon gas regulator for welding
    There are regulators and there are flow meters that can both be used for welding with argon shielding gas. A typical regulator has two round dials (one tank pressure and one flow rate) and a handle on the body to adjust the output. A typical flow meter has a round dial for tank pressure and a vertical tube with a ball showing flow rate, with a knob to adjust the output. Generally speaking, the flow rate style is considered more accurate and desirable for both MIG or TIG welding.

The other thing to check is what the output pressure is set at (different from flow rate). Typical inexpensive flow meters are set for 50PSI and that can lead to a more noticeable surge of gas when you initiate the gas flow...it wastes some gas, but is mostly just annoying. Better flow meters are set for between 20 and 30PSI and have far less surge when you initiate the gas flow.

I have a couple of Harris 355-2 flow meters that are 20PSI models and really like that they don't have a huge blast of gas when starting. I also have a Victor (think it's a model 1425) which is set for 25PSI and it's also really nice...hard to tell the difference between the two in use.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT