+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AMICO welders

Post Thanks / Like

AMICO welders

Hi, Browsing the web last night I came across the name Amico welders and plasma cutters.
    They seem to be an American company and have very well priced welders and plasma cutters
    I see they have them at Home Depo One of there Inverter welders caught my attention
    Dual power 200 amps at 80% and $ 229 and free shipping what impressed Me the 80% duty cycle
    and 180 days return . if used much even if they burn out after the one year warranty they would still be ok
    Compared to the duty cycle on small welder generator eg. Lincoln 185 outback 150 at 20%

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AMICO welders

The brand name may be American, but that's about all for a welder that retails for that price. And I don't believe the high duty cycle numbers.

That's not to say that there aren't some bargains (especially small inverter stick welders), but choose wisely.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Probably 200 amp machine with 80% duty cycle at 80 amp output. Probably 10 or 20% at 200 amps. Not bad cycle for stick
    Welding. Not good for tig welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    The brand name may be American, but that's about all for a welder that retails for that price. And I don't believe the high duty cycle numbers.

That's not to say that there aren't some bargains (especially small inverter stick welders), but choose wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Probably 200 amp machine with 80% duty cycle at 80 amp output. Probably 10 or 20% at 200 amps. Not bad cycle for stick
    Welding. Not good for tig welding.
    I've often wondered if they (cheap imports) are making their wild duty cycle claims by testing/rating them at 70 degrees F ambient instead of 105 degrees (or some other lesser temperature).
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard good things about them for the price. I have actually considered picking one up for portable work. It's an inverter so the arc quality should be decent.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one for a few months and it would run 1/8 rod continuously with no trouble on 220 but it would not run 6010, I had several miller 150 maxstars that would constantly trip breakers on 110 running 3/32 rod but the Aimco was fine on 110 with 3/32, and the Maxstars cost me a grand.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

I had an Amico 200 amp stick/tig that appeared to me to be an excellent welder. I'm a novice. I've since given it to my son, who welds for a living, who has used it a bunch for personal stuff and likes it. Never given me or him any trouble. I also think it is Chinese but so are some of the the big name brands. I emailed the american distributor with a question and got a response within the hour. You can't go wrong considering the price and quality. The welders have been sold on Amazon for a long time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist