Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tungsten Keeps Melting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tungsten Keeps Melting

Wired bad inside the machine?

2. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure sounds like it. Hadn't seen this happen, but now it's added to the list for future inquiries about the same issue.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it was assembled on a Monday or Friday?

Post Thanks / Like

does that welder have AC output or DC only?
    IF DC only its wired wrong. should not Mig weld very good, polarity will be wrong on all processes. IF it has AC. look for a polarity switch. Might be in a hidden menu.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't doubt you on what you discovered and since that is a multi process machine.......did you select the TIG process on the selector button?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    does that welder have AC output or DC only?
    IF DC only its wired wrong. should not Mig weld very good, polarity will be wrong on all processes. IF it has AC. look for a polarity switch. Might be in a hidden menu.
    Just checked the comments on the amazon page and it looks like tig is DC only on this machine. Now that I think about it, it does seem weird since the product page does mention it can weld aluminum but I guess it doesn't specifically mention TIG welding aluminum.

I do however want to point out when I first started using this machine(Flux Core Welding) the instruction manual told me to switch these two wires. I never switched them back when I started tig welding since the torch that comes with the machine uses a manual hand valve to turn the argon on and the sticker by the wires says to switch the cables back when gas welding but seeing as the gas was being manually operated and not by the machine I didn't revert the wires. I thought it was just something that told it to not open the gas solenoid valve but maybe it also switches the polarity at the front? I can't test this hypothesis until I get more argon on Monday. Accidently forgot to close the valve at my tank and it must have leaked out overnight. It's a good thing I purchased the smallest cylinder lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    I don't doubt you on what you discovered and since that is a multi process machine.......did you select the TIG process on the selector button?
    I had to double check the footage and it looks like I did have the tig option selected both times I tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6010fd12 View Post
    Just checked the comments on the amazon page and it looks like tig is DC only on this machine. Now that I think about it, it does seem weird since the product page does mention it can weld aluminum but I guess it doesn't specifically mention TIG welding aluminum.

I do however want to point out when I first started using this machine(Flux Core Welding) the instruction manual told me to switch these two wires. I never switched them back when I started tig welding since the torch that comes with the machine uses a manual hand valve to turn the argon on and the sticker by the wires says to switch the cables back when gas welding but seeing as the gas was being manually operated and not by the machine I didn't revert the wires. I thought it was just something that told it to not open the gas solenoid valve but maybe it also switches the polarity at the front? I can't test this hypothesis until I get more argon on Monday. Accidently forgot to close the valve at my tank and it must have leaked out overnight. It's a good thing I purchased the smallest cylinder lol.
    Imagur photos won't show here, but I copied the link and looked at the pictures. You changed the polarity of the machine when you switched those wires...the power output essentially. Flux core needs the wire to be negative. Hard wire MIG needs the wire to be positive. TIG will require the machine to be set up like for MIG wire because the leads themselves will be set properly for electrode negative.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

9. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure your using tungsten?

I'm not a practical joker but I've heard of jokers swapping tungsten with stainless filler rod for a laugh. Or it may have been a mistake.

Have you tried switching polarity?

Tungsten should snap if you try to break it. Stainless should bend.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like changing the wires changed the polarity in the machine.

12. Likes ronsii, G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So from what I read in your post ... you set the machine up to weld using flux core wire...you switched the internal wires to do so and then did NOT put the internal wires in the original position ??? That would make the machine operate in wrong polarity even IF you switched the mig/tig selector switch on the face.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6010fd12 View Post

I had to double check the footage and it looks like I did have the tig option selected both times I tried.
    Having the polarity correct for DC tig welding is paramount. It is not about switching the gas valve. It is about the way the current travels from tungsten to the work.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the whole thread I see that polarity was wrong and a multiprocess machine.

Straight polarity causes electrons to flow from Tungsten to the work. Electrons bombard work flowing from tungsten.
    Reverse polarity causes electrons to flow from work to then bombard tungsten. That's why your tungsten evaporated.

It's been said that reverse polarity has better penetration because electrons are ripped out of the work. I think Lincoln mentions that also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    After reading the whole thread I see that polarity was wrong and a multiprocess machine.

Straight polarity causes electrons to flow from Tungsten to the work. Electrons bombard work flowing from tungsten.
    Reverse polarity causes electrons to flow from work to then bombard tungsten. That's why your tungsten evaporated.

It's been said that reverse polarity has better penetration because electrons are ripped out of the work. I think Lincoln mentions that also.
    Seems like I read that reverse polarity doesn't penetrate deeply, but does do the cleaning in the AC arc. Dunno, guess I better read up. Most of my experience is AC aluminum and not that much in the last few years.

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Seems like I read that reverse polarity doesn't penetrate deeply, but does do the cleaning in the AC arc. Dunno, guess I better read up. Most of my experience is AC aluminum and not that much in the last few years.
    I reread Lessons in arc welding and you are correct in that with TIG, reverse polarity has a wider shallower penetration compared to straight.

I'm not convinced the same is true for stick tho. Wouldn't it be better to have more penetration with 7018 if straight polarity has better penetration?

I'm going to have to think about this and get back to you later.

Post Thanks / Like

For stick reverse polarity has the most penetration. 2/3rds. of the heat is on the positive side which basically preheats the electrode causing greater penetration. Also explains why the tungsten melts on DCRP.