+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller XMT 304 CC/CV control panel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller XMT 304 CC/CV control panel

Hi..Ive just picked up a Miller xmt 304 and I've noticed that that I only have a choice of 6 when picking a process. I see on other ones machines that there is eight. Also on mine there is no picture for the wire feeder. Has anyone else one like this? Or can anyone shed any light ad to why mine is different from any other one I've looked at? Is there a difference in the machines??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller XMT 304 CC/CV control panel

There are CC only machines. Take a picture of the front panel.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 ... Does it say XMT304 CC/CV or just XMT 304 CC
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

My CC/CV has 8 pictures, but only 6 selector positions.

I started a thread on this a while back, puzzling over how the selector worked, there's some good info in here

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...-Mode-selector
    Last edited by Munkul; 10-26-2020 at 04:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I read through some of that thread and your selector only has 6 modes the same as mine but mine looks different ill try put up a few pics..yours is showing 8 pictures of functions mine 6.
    Name:  20201025_035447.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  20201025_035439.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  20201025_035416.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  73.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

well it doesnt say either lol. It is a cc/cv because it has the mig function and mig pulse and tig as well.
    Name:  20201025_035416.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  73.5 KBName:  20201025_035447.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  20201025_035439.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  67.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I Posted a video on you tube about it just showing the controls...

Post Thanks / Like

Different generations of these machines have different controls and options... post up the serial number? you can get the right manual for your serial number.

I have a feeling that my machine has the same control board and selector as yours, but with the 8 position panel - presumably it came with an 8 position board at one point, probably burned out and someone fitted a 6 position board to replace it. Mine doesn't have electrode-hot TIG or V-sense feeder, but has everything else... same as yours.

Why do you care? You have the excellent stick welding and mig welding modes, as well as pulse option. It's a great shop machine

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others, I believe you have a CC only machine.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a CC only machine, or it wouldn't have the MIG selector position. It's the same as mine

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at a manual for some of the XMT's it looks what is not on yours is a position for Voltage sensing wire feeder and Scratch start Tig.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Different generations of these machines have different controls and options... post up the serial number? you can get the right manual for your serial number.

I have a feeling that my machine has the same control board and selector as yours, but with the 8 position panel - presumably it came with an 8 position board at one point, probably burned out and someone fitted a 6 position board to replace it. Mine doesn't have electrode-hot TIG or V-sense feeder, but has everything else... same as yours.

Why do you care? You have the excellent stick welding and mig welding modes, as well as pulse option. It's a great shop machine
    I don't really care LOL im i was just wondering about it thats all i'm very happy with my machine. I couldn't see any others like mine so i was wondering if anyone could give any info on it. I'd say your machine is the same as mine with the 6 position board but maybe someone put a new sticker on it front that shows 8 positions ours is probabbly one of the first types .My unit does everything it's definately a CC/CV model.I want to get a wire dual feeder for it and get it set up for pulse mig thats the main reason i bought it. I only paid £400 for it and for the money i think its a great machine.I bought a Optima pulse box on Ebay last week it's coming frommthe USA i'm excited about that also. Have you had your one for long? doe you use if for mig welding?

Post Thanks / Like

I did similar to you had mine maybe 2 years? It's a great machine, I'd recommend one to anyone. They're awesome on stick, so very controllable... and same with MIG... crisp arc starts, and beautifully smooth, spatter free CV output makes it as good as any top end machine on the market today.

I also bought a pulse pendant for mine. In the end, I realised it's better on plain CV MIG for steel, but the pulser is perfect for aluminium. I'd still like to try the stainless programs, but need the right gas, and the job to justify it.
    If you've never used pulse MIG before, it sounds like the holy grail for welding, but it's unfortunately not... it's fun to experiment with though.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ghlight=miller

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ghlight=optima

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ghlight=miller

This is on aluminium pulse, 1/4" base to 1/8" PFC.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who would like to know I think I know why the differences in the welder front panels. appears there are 8, 6 and 5 position front panels.
    From what I can tell all CSA built CC/CV welders have 8 position switches.
    CE built CC/CV welders only had 6 positions and CC machines had 5.
    CSA = Machines built for USA and Canada. CE = machines are built for Europe.
    Small differences for the market they are built for.
    One difference between CSA and CE machines. CSA machines can use auto link to connect to 230 or 460 volts. CE machines can only run on one voltage 200 or 400 volts. Auto link is not allowed.

15. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

your welds look really good. is it not the same gas you use for stainless and aluminum? pure argon?.everywhere i read anything about the xmt 304 its all good reviews. the optima pulser seems a good add on too good reviews on it. for a welder of that age 1999 it really performs its hard to believe until you see for yourself. Yes im new to pulse welding so this is all a learning curve for me. I'm waiting on the optima pulse box to land should be here next week i'm hoping. ill go looking for a wire feeder then i'd like a miller dual wire feeder it would really make my day.im going to take my time and do my research and see whats out there the right one will come up for me.im currently making a railing system in the shed for a wire feeder to slide up and down the shed ill post pictures when its all done.im going to get set up for doing mig aluminum also that is partly wht i bought the optima pulse box.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know the Lincoln welders have 42 volt output. I use a suitcase feeder on my xmt, but I believe they have 24 volt output on the pin connector.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist