+ Reply to Thread

Thread: QUESTIONS: DIY Automated blasting material sifter

Post Thanks / Like

QUESTIONS: DIY Automated blasting material sifter

Gents,

I got a situation. A few months ago I bought (used) a comercial pressure pot blasting unit. Homegamer sized, holds 30kg of blasting media. I even think I talked about it here.

Yesterday I had the chance to try it and even though I purchased propper aluminium silicate media in a fine grit, the media didn't come as pure and pristine as I would like, and it presents bigger than usual particles that clog my nozzle.

Sifting it through the provided (with the machine) screen is the answer. But is slow and tedious.

I want to make an automated sifter for the new media and also to allow me to reclaim the used abrasive.

I just saw this particular design in Youtube and seems very veeeeeeeeeeeery simple.

However, I would like to modify it to allow me to place it above the pressure pot so the sifted media falls right inside (funnel shaped bottom. I would also make it out of metal and hold the screen itself on rubber plugs or springs to isolate the vibrating part from the structure. I think it would be wise to make it somewhat slanted so the big particles slide to a secondary deposit to be disposed properly.

For the vibration I was thinking of using pneumatic turbine vibrators. They are supposed to be cheaper and more robust. They also don't require electrical power, so I could just use it with the same air I power the blaster (when outdoors). Something like this:
    TURBINE VIBRATOR

Question is I have no idea if I should choose one from the K line or GT line... I read what I could find and both models seem to be used in automated sifters.

Anyone here has any clue about which one should work better? Usually bigger is better but I don't think I need to go monster big for this application, as it is not to big of a contraption. K10 maybe??

Oh! And I was thinking of fitting two vibrators in series, one for the X axis and another one for the Y axis to provide vibration in both directions. Althoug I might get by fitting only one diagonally in the screen frame. Thoughts?

Mikel

2. Likes thegary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: QUESTIONS: DIY Automated blasting material sifter

I’ve used a HF pneumatic jitterbug sander to shake a screen table before. It’s about all it’s good for.

4. Likes Mikel_24, ronsii, walker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy in the video I linked used a jigsaw with the saw blade removed, so I guess he didn't need much vibration for it to shake the media. I just want to be DOUBLE SURE... As long as it doesn't rattle the thing apart... its all good!

Mikel

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought two K-10 vibrators and the 1mm stainles steel screen... Now I just have to wait for the items to arrive. Will report back once I start the build.

Mikel

7. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always simply buy higher quality media.

9. Likes rlitman, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to re-use the product, you'll still need the screener for the 2nd/3rd time around...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    You could always simply buy higher quality media.
    True, I fully agree with you. I buy it locally from a blasting media manufacturer and actually it is supposed to be well withing the aceptable size range for my blaster and tip. I am saving the big pieces that I find during the (for now) manual screening process to ask them about it. I guess there is always some bigger pieces to be expected but... how much of it (%)?

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If you want to re-use the product, you'll still need the screener for the 2nd/3rd time around...
    True as well. Even though I still don't have a cabin, I plan to do it outside over a tarp with some kind of sidings and re-use whatever falls in the tarp. So yes, I need to screen it anyways.

Mikel

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist