+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas tank sealer

Post Thanks / Like

Gas tank sealer

Any recommendations for a good gas tank sealer for my older miller AEAD 200 with a steel gas tank ?

How much material does it take to coat a 5 gallon tank ?

Is the POR-15 stuff any good ?

With the new gasoline having ethanol, there always seems to be some water in the gas. Coating will hopefully stop the rusting inside, and help lessen condensation too.

I haven't investigated plastic tanks for the onan motor yet (b43 b48) , but figured the coating would be the cheaper route.

Trying to get all the fuel issues taken care of before putting on the new carb, and fuel pump (new hoses, water separator filter, clean tank, new gas cap).

What has worked for you ?

Name:  iPhone5 002.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  296.6 KB
    Last edited by albrightree; 11-05-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas tank sealer

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Any recommendations for a good gas tank sealer for my older miller AEAD 200 with a steel gas tank ?

With the new gasoline having ethanol, there always seems to be some water in the gas. Coating will hopefully stop the rusting inside, and help lessen condensation too.

I haven't investigated plastic tanks for the onan motor yet (b43 b48) , but figured the coating would be the cheaper route.

Trying to get all the fuel issues taken care of before putting on the new carb, and fuel pump (new hoses, water separator filter, clean tank, new gas cap).

I used POR-15 in a SA-200 tank several years ago and it still looks good inside no issues.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The important thing about using any type of gas tank coating is preparation preparation preparation

Did I say preparation?

If not and it starts to peel you will have a big mess
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a product called Kreem gas tank sealer. Motorcycle shops carry it. Worked great. On really bad tanks I suggest taking it to a radiator shop and have them throw it in their cleaning tank. Not expensive and totally ready to either use as is or coat. Good luck !
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the old days, there were separate gas tank and rad repair shops.

They would hot dip a tank, epoxy coat the inside, blast and paint the outside.

Lifetime warranty against leaks, half the price of a new tank.

I wonder if you could get a new replacement plastic tank ?

Post Thanks / Like

Jon T is right prep is everything. I have used the Por-15 tank sealer and had good results but it must be preped as stated on the can and afterword must be completly dry inside. I used a shop vac with a pipe taped to it so that it would go down into the tank and let it dry over night to make sure there was no water left in any crevices. I did the same after installing the Por15 so that I was sure it was dry before putting gas in it. If there is any water at all the sealer will not adhere to the tank and will wash off into the fuel . It took a lot of messing around to have it work out and the only reason I did it was because I could not buy another tank like the one I had that also had a hydraulic tank built into it. If I was being paid to do it would not be practical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    The important thing about using any type of gas tank coating is preparation preparation preparation

Did I say preparation?

If not and it starts to peel you will have a big mess
    The number one reason tank coatings fail is improper preparation, application and lack of adequate dry times.

Did a lot of MC tanks with Damon Red-Kote with good lasting results.
    If tanks are solid, leak free, clean and it will be used all the time I recommend not using sealer. But some folks want it done regardless, even the tanks I built-modified.
    Last edited by metalman21; 11-05-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

heres an aluminum 5 gallon tank that would fit pretty good, or you can find a poly or alum rectangle tank ....

https://www.amazon.com/Spun-Aluminum...3Q509CTP0S6FGE

12. Likes ezduzit, Capt B, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    heres an aluminum 5 gallon tank that would fit pretty good, or you can find a poly or alum rectangle tank ....

This is a better idea.

Post Thanks / Like

You can remove the the ethanol with water, it will take a little bit of time, but not bad, 4 gallons of gas, a gallon of water, mix them & shake well, let it sit overnight & siphon the gas off the top. The alcohol is miscible in water and will mix & separate from the gasoline.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

15. Likes ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    You can remove the the ethanol with water, it will take a little bit of time, but not bad, 4 gallons of gas, a gallon of water, mix them & shake well, let it sit overnight & siphon the gas off the top. The alcohol is miscible in water and will mix & separate from the gasoline.
    Definitely avoid ethanol at all costs in these machines and you are worlds ahead for many reasons.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NJ

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AZ

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm anxiously awaiting the Shell station by me to reopen. They are replacing their tank, and have been closed for months. Just finished paving today. Their "super" gas is non-ethanol (not all are), and use it on all my equipment that has carburetors. Don't have to drain bowl to get things started. if the water sits in the carb for any amount of time, it clogs the passages .Only other place that has non-ethanol gas is the small airport in the next town, or the vp racing fuel at the speed shop.

There is only a small patch of rust on the inside of the tank, emptied it and used scotchbrite on the rust. If I can keep the water out of the gas, it may be fine for a while. I just happened to see the POR15 on amazon when I was looking for something else.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post

Aluminum and ethanol are not a good mix in most cases from what I have seen. Take a look inside carburetors I have never seen such corrosion since the start of ethanol in gasoline.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hook up a separate tank, like a marine gas tank complete with fittings to disconnect. This way you could just plug it up to the welder and weld, and have a backup tank that you just switch over as you do in a boat when you run out. This way too you can run the welder dry at the end of the day by disconnecting the tank.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

22. Likes thegary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use a marine gas tank with a quick disconnect you could also run the machine dry when you are done and save the carburetor. As well as store the gasoline tanks in a stable environment.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    If you use a marine gas tank with a quick disconnect you could also run the machine dry when you are done and save the carburetor. As well as store the gasoline tanks in a stable environment.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    thats oneway to do it. i do this method. i use 10- 5 gallon plastic fuel cans and every time i fill them, some regular, some 2 stroke 50-1 mix, couple 40-1 mix and one premium, and one diesel. in all i add regular sta-bil 1oz. per 2 1/2 gallons fuel. have 3 outboard 2 stroke, 1 outboard 4 stroke, 1 small and 1 large backhoe, 2 rider garden tractors, 2 chain saws, 2 weed eaters, 2 leaf blowers, 1 power washer, 2 side by sides and selling one next spring, and 3 generators. never had a problem in 25 years. not one carb rebuilt and always winterized. run it all year around. not in our vehicles. thats what i do.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

There liquid epoxy you pour in a tank empty tank
    You just pour in tank and roll the tank around and it will setup in few hours.
    I would use out too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post

Name:  iPhone5 002.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  296.6 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist