+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove this plate?

Post Thanks / Like

How do I remove this plate?

I have the manual and it shows the plate is held onto a flat spot on the shaft with an allen screw which you can reach through a hole on top of the gear shield. I have loosened that screw and let the hole on the front sit for two days with PB Blaster and the plate still won't come off. You can insert a screwdriver in the lower hole on the back and whack it with a hammer but the plate won't budge.

I need to get it off because some bearings are squealing real loud and that's the only way to get at them. I don't want to use something like a big gear puller because it will likely warp the aluminum plate. I can't get a torch in there to heat it up. I hate to throw whole machine out when all it probably needs is some grease but so far I can't figure out how to get in there by getting the plate off. You have to take the plate off to get at the bolt that holds the plastic gear housing on. Once you take that off you have free access to the squealing parts.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Name:  sander1.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  300.6 KBName:  sander2.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  323.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I remove this plate?

Did you tip it on the plate so penatrant can run down vertical? Try heating the center of plate with a heat gun

Post Thanks / Like

Check to make sure there are not 2 setscrews in there.

4. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray lube the bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

Take off the shroud and you will probably find the set screws...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

I hate all the shrouds... no matter where they are always in my way

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

I would look for a set screw
    Most time there is a set screw
    You may have to remove the roll first.
    Here a manual showing a set screw.
    https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...7999/97181.pdf
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I have the manual and it shows the plate is held onto a flat spot on the shaft with an allen screw which you can reach through a hole on top of the gear shield. I have loosened that screw and let the hole on the front sit for two days with PB Blaster and the plate still won't come off. You can insert a screwdriver in the lower hole on the back and whack it with a hammer but the plate won't budge.

I need to get it off because some bearings are squealing real loud and that's the only way to get at them. I don't want to use something like a big gear puller because it will likely warp the aluminum plate. I can't get a torch in there to heat it up. I hate to throw whole machine out when all it probably needs is some grease but so far I can't figure out how to get in there by getting the plate off. You have to take the plate off to get at the bolt that holds the plastic gear housing on. Once you take that off you have free access to the squealing parts.

Name:  sander1.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  300.6 KBName:  sander2.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  323.7 KB
    Last edited by smithdoor; 11-07-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heat is one good option. Torch the plate around that shaft area. There is potential to cook bearings if you get too crazy, but that depends on how far back the bearings are and how hot you go. A nice way to do this is to get it hot, then shoot some PB blaster on the shaft to cool it down and start beating. Ideally you want the plate hot and the shaft cold.

Another good option is impact. If you have an air hammer, a few quick BRRRAAAPS with it might loosen it (you can get one super cheap too from HF or Northern if you want as you may never use it again). Also when hitting it from behind, you should rotate the plate between blows so it doesn't start to rack and bind up. If you can get the air hammer into that back hole, that might be a great way to loosen it. Keep turning the plate as you hit it.

And as others said, make sure there isn't another set screw first...
    Last edited by davec; 11-07-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

JD1

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I have no short answer - I'd start by stripping all shrouds,
    and a thorough brush & blow clean . . .

The belt sheave is on a common shaft - it may play into
    disassembly - check everything before you go to the 'Hot
    Wrench / Gas Axe'
    . . .

If you discover additional 'set fixtures' - and they don't
    easily 'crack loose' - get back with us before you 'beaver
    the heads' -
    and create a new level of problems . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

If there is only one set screw. Then rig a strap wrench and twist it. I have a similar craftsman sander, however I disposed of the disc years ago and replaced upsized the motor. Still pretty weak for metal work. No fun if younwarp it.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of those older craftsman tools didn't use keys and a keyway, just a machined flat.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can get the shroud off with the wheel still on, IIRC my HF has a second set screw @ 90* from the flat., I pulled the shroud off at that point & trashed it, it was ALWAYS in the way anyway.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you've looked and have read the manual but is there an allen head screw in the center of the plate?
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

If it's due to galvanic corrosion it's like being welded together.

The only time I've dealt with it was an aluminum seat post on a steel bicycle frame. I tried everything listed here to no avail, then someone turned me on to warm water, lye, and patience. Problem is it eats the aluminum. After taking the bottom bracket out I filled the frame tube with the mixture - swapping it out every day until day three it ate the entire bottom of the post and it came out. 20 years later - maybe there's a less caustic alternative - but a quick Google search didn't pull up much. This is an interesting idea:

Heat and lots of it is the fastest way, but assuming you don’t have a rosebudd torch handy, one of the most effective looseners of galvanic corrosion on aluminum is water with some liquid detergent added to it. Heat will definitely help too, even if you only have a heat gun or hair drier. Apply the water, heat as much as you can and apply more water. Repeat these cycles and if you can get the water hot enough to boil, the steam pressure will help break down the corrosion by causing little explosions within the corrosion layer. Impact will also help.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-be...%20also%20help.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

I heat stuff all the time to remove it.

Usually, the trick is to apply force during the heating process. Heating only moves parts incrementally, and you have to have that constant pull on the part to see results.

I don't see any way to get a puller on that, so the next best bet is have someone pry against it with two pry bars 180* apart while you apply heat.

Very often it's difficult to heat a part to expand the hole. The heat will make the hole actually "shrink" as the material grows from the heat. The material will expand in ALL directions, including attempting to "fill in" the hole. My solution has always been to heat a small section of the pie close to the hole. This causes the metal to expand locally, and push against the circumference of the hole, thus expanding the hole. It's called "upset", and is the key ingredient to successful heat shrinking. But........because the effect is very small, and the metal cools rapidly, you need to keep force on the part to take advantage of that short period that the hole expands before it cools. You'll hear a ticking sound as it starts to move. Sometimes you have to do a few cycles to actually free it up.

A heat spot as small as a dime is usually the way to go. You don't want to heat any kind of large area. With steel, I'll heat a dime sized area to dull red. I dunno what the color ranges are with aluminum,, but I'd get it pretty hot.

The thing is on the verge of becoming scrap if the bearings seize. I'd take the risk of applying heat..........you don't have much to lose.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you can't get the shroud off till you get the wheel off. If I could get the shroud off, I do have pullers large enough to handle a wheel that big. I HAVE TWO BIG DRAWERS FULL OF PULLERS OF ALL DESCRIPTIONS I deal with a lot of stuck stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to search the Uranus Master Archives

Here's an example. A stuck part that had to be pulled.

Name:  heating parts1.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  242.5 KB The gear, and the pulley, were pulled in the same manner.

Name:  heating parts2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  211.8 KB This is when the part actually moved. The puller was under a good deal of pressure, but not strained to breaking, which is how most people destroy their pullers. They're really not good at pulling parts that haven't been heated.

Name:  heating parts3.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  222.4 KB Notice that only a small section of the diameter was heated. Heat the whole thing,, and you'll never get it off easily, if at all.

Post Thanks / Like

The manual only shows a single 1/4-20 set screw on the flat of the shaft. There is an access hole in the top of the shroud at 12:00.

https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/l...M/L0803415.pdf

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 10.23.36 PM.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  105.6 KB
    Last edited by forhire; 11-08-2020 at 01:37 AM.

20. Likes ronsii, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i have one of those sanders also. as best as possible, turn on side and support al. disc and use brass drift pin or other brass. drive shaft out of disc. it took me 5days of thinking how to do that and 10 minutes of doing. parts are available on eBay. had to replace relay on mine also from eBay.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

If you get it off be sure to replace the bearings with ones that have the rubber seals not the metal shields. The bearing number will have 2 RS in it meaning rubber seals on both sides. Why manufactures do not use these from the start is unknown.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Drill and tap 3 holes, and use a steering wheel puller ?

Name:  pullerbox.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  165.7 KB
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

24. Likes Meltedmetal, 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, some interesting ideas. I'll answer a few comments - the shroud is bolted on with 1 bolt but you have to get the disc off to remove the shroud. There's only one allen screw and I loosened it a lot. The machine was on it's side for 2 days to allow the PB Blaster to soak down into the shaft. No allen screw in the center of the shaft.

The idea of drilling and threading 3 holes to use with a puller is interesting but the aluminum is probably too thin to do that. It's thin with ribs on the back to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    i have one of those sanders also. as best as possible, turn on side and support al. disc and use brass drift pin or other brass. drive shaft out of disc. it took me 5days of thinking how to do that and 10 minutes of doing. parts are available on eBay. had to replace relay on mine also from eBay.
    This is interesting, but I can't visualize how you did that. Not sure how to "support the disc" since there's only about a 3/16" space between the disc and the shroud. Could you explain a little more? Or perhaps a photo?

Other than that, maybe spot heating and pounding through the back hole and rotating the disc so it won't bind may be an option.

It's a very useful tool both for metal and wood and I'm trying to save it if at all possible. I could get another but I'd rather fix this one if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Drill and tap 3 holes, and use a steering wheel puller ?
    This was my first thought as well.
    If it's too thin, bolts, nuts and washers.

2 hole puller would probably do it. Set with a little pressure, little heat, tap puller with hammer - probably pop right off.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good drawing.
    Shows what to do.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    The manual only shows a single 1/4-20 set screw on the flat of the shaft. There is an access hole in the top of the shroud at 12:00.

https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/l...M/L0803415.pdf

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 10.23.36 PM.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  105.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I too didn't understand duramax's procedure but I've learned to just let some things be. To the OP, when you get it off put a little antiseize on the shaft on reassembly for future disassembly.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist