+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couple shop projects

Post Thanks / Like

Couple shop projects

I am starting to learn to mig as I, for the first time, now have an indoor place to weld.

First mig projects: Cart for mig rig and some horses.

Name:  20201109_074538.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  20201109_074553.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  20201109_074648.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  77.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Couple shop projects

Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    I am starting to learn to mig as I, for the first time, now have an indoor place to weld.

First mig projects: Cart for mig rig and some horses.

Name:  20201109_074538.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  20201109_074553.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  20201109_074648.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  77.9 KB

A few small preferences that I would have done a little differently. I would not store the MIG gun like that because something is going to smash into it eventually. Another might be the C-channel for the legs of the horses. You have the points at the bottom facing outward. That might cause it to gouge let's say plywood you may find yourself working on one day. If you reversed the C-channel by 180 degrees the face would be on the outside and as you lifted them or tilted them the inside point could never gouge anything. The last perhaps the weight of the I-beam and size may be a little large for what you can use it for. But looking back at some of my first projects and even recent quick fabrications to get something done it looks great! Sometimes you have to go with what you have.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

The 8" i-beam are drops from barn extension), so i cleaned the yard and got off the floor. I don't plan to use the horses outside shop but if i did need them on wood or dirt i would add some plate feet. Once i build a table the horses will probably head to yard to store material. Having the flange out on channel allows a good weld to bottom of I-beam. I even build my wood horses like this: strong, simple, and stackable.

Thanks William, I'll figure a better storage for mig gun. As i use the cart I'm sure ill be adding handles, hooks, and other accoutrements.

4. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 8" i-beam are drops from barn extension), so i cleaned the yard and got off the floor. I don't plan to use the horses outside shop but if i did need them on wood or dirt i would add some plate feet. Once i build a table the horses will probably head to yard to store material. Having the flange out on channel allows a good weld to bottom of I-beam. I even build my wood horses like this: strong, simple, and stackable.

Thanks William, I'll figure a better storage for mig gun. As i use the cart I'm sure ill be adding handles, hooks, and other accoutrements.
    You could just grind them round for the cement too.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the welder and feeder so low to the ground? I just ordered a V350Pro and was thinking about a cart. Mine will have the top of the LN-25 about chest high and the welder just under. I thought of tipping, but I'm fortunate enough to have access to a $hit ton of 1" thick elevator counterweight plates for the base to prevent tipping.
    Last edited by Stick-man; 11-10-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Why is the welder and feeder so low to the ground? I just ordered a V350Pro and was thinking about a cart. Mine will have the top of the LN-25 about chest high and the welder just under. I thought of tipping, but I'm fortunate enough to have access to a $hit ton of 1" thick elevator counterweight plates for the base to prevent tipping.
    I sort of faced the same decision. The welder has a shorter gun cable, so I figured it had to be on top. The plasma has a long cable, so it could be on the bottom without any problems of not having enough cable to get to the workpiece.

Name:  plasma cart-1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  144.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I hear ya. My original plan was to have both the welder and wirer feed on top with the tanks mounted to one side, shelf underneath, etc... After laying it out I decided it was too big so I went the extreme opposite direction. Word of warning: the V350, a wire feeder and gas makes for a pretty heavy cart as is--I wouldn't want to push elevator weights around with it. So far I have found my cart to be comfortable. I have to kneel to fiddle with V350 but the feeder is handy. I am an over-builder by nature, so making a small cart out of 1.25" angle was a struggle internally.

I have a LN-25 on a smaller cart (mostly I just pick up the briefcase) that I run leads to. The cart pictured above takes an extension cord and that is it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    You could just grind them round for the cement too.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    What... and make a pinch point for my grinder cords?!? Just kidding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I sort of faced the same decision. The welder has a shorter gun cable, so I figured it had to be on top. The plasma has a long cable, so it could be on the bottom without any problems of not having enough cable to get to the workpiece.

Name:  plasma cart-1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  144.4 KB
    Nice dolly... maybe just what my briefcase needs. The cart I have mine on can't leave the concrete so I usually have to carry it. I'd probably set it sideways against the handle. Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice dolly... maybe just what my briefcase needs. The cart I have mine on can't leave the concrete so I usually have to carry it. I'd probably set it sideways against the handle. Hmmm...
    You can't see it in the pic, but there's a piece of tubing welded to the plate just behind the welder, and plasma cutter. It keeps the machines from sliding rearward. I've really actually never done a pic of this thing. This was just a crop of a large pic where I happened to be using the thing at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice horses, just remember that they will get heavier every year until one day they will be sitting outside
    I always tried to work with the oldest hand on the job to gain knowlege but now I can't find any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digr View Post
    Nice horses, just remember that they will get heavier every year until one day they will be sitting outside
    My wife's been saying that about me for years and still lets me inside sometimes.

14. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd put feet on the channel legs. Then they can't chip or gouge the pristine concrete floor and would also work on a dirt or gravel surface if needed. You may want to put a brace joining the legs together. Then you could stack several tons on them. To make them lighter you could have cut the I-beam down the middle. You don't need the other half. Looks like a case of wanting to do something quick without thinking about it too much. Nice looking shop!

Post Thanks / Like

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Looks like a case of wanting to do something quick without thinking about it too much.
    You nailed it! I walked into the shop that morning to build a welding cart but as soon as my knee hit the floor my plans changed--I put the horse in front of the cart.

18. Likes SlowBlues, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pun of the year right there boys!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice clean shop ! I remember when mine looked like that ONCE.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist