+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finishing What I Started

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing What I Started

The short story: I have had a Lincoln Mig Pak 180 sitting in its original packaging, unused... for the past 8 years and it is now finally time to learn how to use it

The long story: Born the son of a (stone) sculptor and being a graphic designer in my past life, my world revolved around creative pursuits. Having 2 very different careers, my father and I never really collaborated on a project together. Fortunately, in the summer of 2012, we decided that we would purchase two Honda CB750 motorcycles that we would customize, which would require learning some skills, one being welding. We bought the bikes, got them running and operating and began plans for how we would modify them. I had acquired (but had not used) a Lincoln Mig Pak 180 a few months prior so my father opted to buy a Miller Tig Welder so we would have both disciplines to learn and use for our projects. Unfortunately, in the fall of 2013 my father passed away suddenly. I sold the bikes and traded his welder and move on with life.

Now that some time has passed, I have sold my business of 18 years (I was a professional dog trainer and kennel owner/raw pet food store owner) and have started an early semi-retirement while downsizing my home (which now has a 2 car garage!!!). I have opted to finish the new garage, insulate and heat it, outfit is nicely and am looking to start to explore welding once again. I have zero experience welding (with the exception of stick welding as an 9 year old boy with my grandfathers direction) but I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have no shortage of creativity. I have been lurking, learning from Youtube and am currently studying course outlines for welding programs. I am seeking someone to teach me privately, but in the state of the world today, it's a challenge to say the least (I am not a fan of classroom learning, I have a college diploma and feel I have spent enough time in classrooms, LOL) . But I feel that it's time to finish the learning process I started 8 years ago and do myself a favour and learn something new.

So, I will probably lurk a great deal on this forum, enjoy all of your projects, steal some ideas and learn from your failures (and my own). I may even post a project of my own here and there and share my own failures if I feel this forum offers constructive feedback and encouragement. I look forward to this new learning process/opportunity!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing What I Started

Mclay

Quote Originally Posted by Mclay View Post
    The short story: I have had a Lincoln Mig Pak 180 sitting in
    its original packaging, unused . . .

for the past 8 years and it is now finally time to learn how
    to use it . . .

I look forward to this new learning process/opportunity!

I don't have time 'to edited your text' for content -
    what do you really want to do . . . ?

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

Mclay

I don't have time 'to edited your text' for content -
    what do you really want to do . . . ?

hth

Opus

I have the feeling this is the first of multiple posts about how to start welding with the aforementioned machine.

Unless he actually lurks heavily (actively searching for relevant content) and watches a lot of YT videos, which will surely help a lot with the basics of welding.

Time will tell!

Mikel

4. Likes ronsii, Mclay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mclay,

Post your location. May be someone near to help you get started. That will move you up the learning curve much faster.

Do you have a bottle, hood, clamps and other necessary tools?

Lots of helpful threads here for new guys.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

6. Likes Mclay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wb4rt, that is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I am actually located in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada. I have a bottle, clamps, gloves, two auto darkening helmets (my fathers Miller and my Wurth I bought years ago, both still in box) many of the tools (recently ordered some squares from Fireball Tools as well). I have all of the material for my first project prepared to build a welding/fabrication table with levellers and retractable casters so I can move it around. I have been looking through the threads here and there as well, lots of great content, definitely will be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikel_24, I may make a post or two in future, but I prefer to lurk and learn.

Goals, simply put, are learn to weld a variety of materials, learn about metal forming/shaping, mostly on a hobby level but if I find that I have an interest/motivation to pursue it on a professional level, maybe I will make a “career” out of it. My only concern in doing that is turning something I enjoy into a business. I have done that twice in past and, while I was very successful in both past careers as a graphic designer and in the pet care/training/pet food industry, both became “jobs” that I stopped enjoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mclay View Post
    wb4rt, that is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I am actually located in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada. I have a bottle, clamps, gloves, two auto darkening helmets (my fathers Miller and my Wurth I bought years ago, both still in box) many of the tools (recently ordered some squares from Fireball Tools as well). I have all of the material for my first project prepared to build a welding/fabrication table with levellers and retractable casters so I can move it around. I have been looking through the threads here and there as well, lots of great content, definitely will be helpful.
    Read and study the threads about welding tables before you begin (and if not too late, before you buy materials).

Lots of good tips from other peoples experience. Overhang the edges for easy clamping and do NOT overweld the top or it will warp. A few tacks or even machine bolted is sufficient. Many other ideas about casters, materials, solid vs. slats for top, and holes for tooling will get you a better table.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

10. Likes Mclay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A year or two ago I attended BC Institute of Technology on a bunch of Saturdays and there was about 20 minutes each morning in the class where we were taught the difference between sssszip, pflpflzap, and hummmmzot.
    Then it was oxy, mig, stick, tig, metal shears, overhead cranes, grinders, power hacksaws and plasma cutters. Excellent course on the best machinery with professional instructors.

Do this first. Get a course and learn properly; safety, clothing, burns, hoods, gloves etc. Then turn on your machine.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

12. Likes Mclay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

14. Likes Mclay liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist