+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little Grinder Work.

Post Thanks / Like

Little Grinder Work.

The root rake will have to wait for a few days. I'll be working in Charlotte, NC at the other yard. I have to gouge and re-plate a grinder. Man the piles were steaming in the cool air this morning. The boys went up last week and tore it apart and pressure washed it for me. Pic 3 is the grinder head setting on the ground. This is one of the larger 1500hp grinders.

Name:  20220926_080152.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  20220926_074852.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  168.0 KB

Name:  20220926_074907.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  206.4 KB

Name:  20220926_074944.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  156.1 KB

Name:  20220926_074957.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  152.8 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

2. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Little Grinder Work.

Wow hope you have some good help
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

4. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Wow hope you have some good help

Well I work for myself / by myself. The boys work for Henson's, the pressure washing also benefits them cause they have some work to do on it themselves. Plus it's a fire hazard and they help take care of that part. I cover the rubber belt with Silica blankets and then Carbon felt blankets. I did start a pretty good sized fire under it today while gouging. Luckily I have a trained nose and was able to put it out pretty quick. They pulled 300' of hose from one of the shops there so I could keep it soaked, I also soaked it when I left today. If you look in this pic you see pretty much nothing under it, but some sparks found a big blob of ball grease. =\

Name:  20220926_074839.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  165.5 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

6. Likes IAMsteelworker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, does a job that size take 1 or 2 cans of Flex-Seal to fill the holes,, ??

My BIL installed a new grain elevator,, about 115 feet to the distribution head at the top.

They told him that grain coming down the pipe would hit the bottom of the truck bed, and bounce out.
    So, I built an offset box, the grain came into a rectangular box at the left, then there was a hole at the right for the grain to come out.

I fabricated it out of 1/4" steel, except the bottom was 1/2" so that it would never wear out,,,,,
    Well, about one year later, the grain wore a hole through the 1/2" steel plate,, "never" ended up being only one year.

My nephew welded on a piece of some AR plate, 1" thick,, that did last many years.

Who would guess that grain simply falling in a piece of pipe could wear away 1/2" of steel so quick!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the ability to work fast, and work smart. I couldn't do that. I need too much time to think about what to do.

9. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    So, does a job that size take 1 or 2 cans of Flex-Seal to fill the holes,, ??

My BIL installed a new grain elevator,, about 115 feet to the distribution head at the top.

They told him that grain coming down the pipe would hit the bottom of the truck bed, and bounce out.
    So, I built an offset box, the grain came into a rectangular box at the left, then there was a hole at the right for the grain to come out.

I fabricated it out of 1/4" steel, except the bottom was 1/2" so that it would never wear out,,,,,
    Well, about one year later, the grain wore a hole through the 1/2" steel plate,, "never" ended up being only one year.

My nephew welded on a piece of some AR plate, 1" thick,, that did last many years.

Who would guess that grain simply falling in a piece of pipe could wear away 1/2" of steel so quick!!
    Your right about the wear. That's 1/2" AR400 and I'll replace it with the same. I think I did this grinder last year also. All around those holes in between the plates is slammed full of composted soil.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I don't have the ability to work fast, and work smart. I couldn't do that. I need too much time to think about what to do.
    Well when you do it enough it becomes pretty routine. This is just regular maintenance.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

12. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they have a steamer truck? (slang for pressure wash)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

funny u bring grinders up, i just sent the family grinder this last week to scrap. it hasnt been used since the turn of the millinium. tub half rotted gone. let the running 8v71 detrolit on it go to scrap also. theres a guy in calif, that had/has several of those, and a fleet of trucks, that dominated the indusrty for quite a while. a handful of people tried to copy what he was doing, but couldnt stay in biz. now, hes got some competion, and hes downsized, and may be partly due to his age, and being his kids are 100% worthless. about 25+ yrs ago, he and his shop, altered a mig gun, that fed granular carbide into the back of weld puddle. i think he hung a canister of from cieling rafter, and carbide gravity fed down a tube, attached to the gun - to hardface the hammers . he also wont use grade 8 bolts that are zinc plated on any thing spinning. hes still active today in his cowby boots/hat, a glass eye, drives a yellow vette while snorting and drinking his way up and down the valley. he usually keeps a 357 not far from reach, along w/ one of his squeezes, thats younger than his kids. he likes them skinny scraggly long hair, and works them pretty hard for females. anyone in calif ag, know who im talikin about ?
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-27-2022 at 03:17 PM.

16. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Do they have a steamer truck? (slang for pressure wash)

The have a few, but the big one is a trailer. 4 cylinder diesel with a diesel heater. It has a 1000 water gal tank. I think it has 4 hose reels including a 1 1/2" water line. All I know about that one is it is for heavy equipment only, not to be used on any of the trucks. The other trailer is a 500 gal tank v-twin gas with a diesel heater, that one they use on the trucks and trailers. Those 2 are custom builds. Then they have a couple drag arounds.

The drivers keep there rigs looking good. plus all the service trucks look good too.

Name:  bulk21.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  bulk31.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  54.9 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

18. Likes Roert42, 12V71, _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i hated this piece of equip more than any other when a kid, but now was hardest to let go
    Name:  latest pics 058.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  126.2 KB
    Name:  latest pics 083.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  110.9 KB
    Name:  DSCF0929.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  94.4 KB
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-28-2022 at 09:34 PM.

20. Likes 12V71, Freebirdwelds, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an old 8V71, the oval airbox covers give that away, also the radiator looks to have been borrowed from an older Kenworth truck, the elbows in the upper coolant lines give that away. Neat stuff.

22. Likes Freebirdwelds, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Freebird, your work seems amazing to me in scale and technical prowess. Nice rig btw! Seems those Ram 3500’s make a nice platform for a good rig. Maybe in time, after I finish welding school, and get a bit of experience in repairs, those big, heavy equipment repairs won’t seem so intimidating!
    Miller Multimatic 215, Bobcat 260 EFI
    Spoolmate 150 spool gun, Miller TIG kit
    PrimeWeld MIG-285, Primeweld Cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Vevor Pipe Stands,
    Bauer Portaband/Swag table
    Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt
    ArcUnion M-20 portable rod oven

24. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCWelds View Post
    Freebird, your work seems amazing to me in scale and technical prowess. Nice rig btw! Seems those Ram 3500’s make a nice platform for a good rig. Maybe in time, after I finish welding school, and get a bit of experience in repairs, those big, heavy equipment repairs won’t seem so intimidating!
    Thanks, The truck is a 96 - V10, I'm the original owner.
    Listen to the old timers as you grow in the business and never say "I know". Even when my boss explains to me how he wants something done I never say "I know". I just say "you got it". A lot of what he tells me is because he has to say it, that's his job.
    He is 7 - 8 years younger than me but has been with this company 38 years and even being 62 yrs old I still learn some things from him.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

26. Likes 52 Ford, _Weldman_, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i hated this piece of equip more than any other when a kid, but now was hardest to let go
    I know what you mean...I have a hard time letting go of some things also......
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    There's an outdoor ceiling fan laying in the dirt behind the shop. Is be upset to get rid of it. (I have plans for it!)

I save everything... I have the gas tank from the first riding mower we ever had.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

29. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    There's an outdoor ceiling fan laying in the dirt behind the shop. Is be upset to get rid of it. (I have plans for it!)

I save everything... I have the gas tank from the first riding mower we ever had.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    I'm glad I'm limited on space where I live or I can only imagine what I'd have now. lol
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

Post Thanks / Like

I have 500 gals on mine and can wash steady for couple hrs. I have 1 1/2 line also connected to another pump on righjt cant really see but it has 3/4 nozzle and for fire hose. It will pump 50 gpm maybe and toss it 75 ft or so and 40 high.

32. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    That's an old 8V71, the oval airbox covers give that away, also the radiator looks to have been borrowed from an older Kenworth truck, the elbows in the upper coolant lines give that away. Neat stuff.
    we had a '72 kenworth 3axl cabover w/ a 40' hobbs dump. eventually my dad sent it to the hay dealer down the road to part it out, as he thought it was worth more parted. (there was nothin wrong w/ it). i wasnt happy, as it was the truck i learned in. its very likely/possible, that the radiator found its way back on the grinder. i never knew that, or put 1 and 1 together on that, until now. thanks

34. Likes Freebirdwelds, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i did alot of rebuiluding/welding inside that grinder back when i barely knew how to weld. i didnt even know how to do a uphill weld for reals, and it all head for yrs. countless times of plugging the screens from wet feed, i dug/shoveld that thing out, sometimes smoking/streetching the belts off. i hated to grind, but got pretty in tune w/ it. basically cleaning up, as a preventive measure to keep the county from showing up, or snooping around. there wanting to make/steal money. the lowlife animal control division, park there vehicle on side of road. then a male and female officer go for a walk in front of farmers places, and naturally the farmers dog(s) gonna bark. when barks happen, they come on the place and check if dog is licensed, and issue fines. that is a violation of the 4th ammendment
    Last edited by 123weld; 10-06-2022 at 03:10 PM.

36. Likes Freebirdwelds, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    we had a '72 kenworth 3axl cabover w/ a 40' hobbs dump. eventually my dad sent it to the hay dealer down the road to part it out, as he thought it was worth more parted. (there was nothin wrong w/ it). i wasnt happy, as it was the truck i learned in. its very likely/possible, that the radiator found its way back on the grinder. i never knew that, or put 1 and 1 together on that, until now. thanks
    Used to be some guys around here that would custom grind hay for the dairies and feedlots. they had a Farmhand tub that had some big military 6x6 truck grafted to the frame of the grinder that powered it through the transfer case, when they moved they put it in gear and drove it with the front axle. I guess it worked in spite of being strange looking going down the road.

38. Likes Freebirdwelds, 123weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well when you do it enough it becomes pretty routine. This is just regular maintenance.
    I agree with this. Nothing fancy or complicated here. Cut some, weld some. Pretty predictable.

40. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist