+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stiff but Skinny Hinges - A Catch 22 Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Stiff but Skinny Hinges - A Catch 22 Problem

Name:  20201115-102004-01.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  266.7 KB

My new mailbox is coming along well, but I'm struggling with a hinge design that is both strong with minimal slop in the action, but narrow enough to be centered at the bottom of the door.

I'm hoping I am either overlooking a simple solution or someone has an idea or three for a design or maker of what I need. I want the hinge on the inside if at all possible but it's not a deal breaker for one to be on the outside if that's all that will work.

All the big box store hinges seem to have a bit too much lateral looseness, and if the mailman is in a bad mood one day I would be afraid of them f'ing it up. Thanks for taking a look and for any help you may offer.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stiff but Skinny Hinges - A Catch 22 Problem

I'd just glue(mig) a couple(or more) vertical 'fins' kinda like you have for the base only about 4 inches apart(you could put some more in between too) then glue ones to match off the back of the lid and line drill the hinge point ... or you could get really elaborate and do an inside hinge similar to a supercar's vertical opening door hinges.... or if you wish a 1980 mercury monarch trunk hinge

3. Likes 12V71, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used several different style of hinges on my scuba tank mailboxes and other projects. Here is what I learned so far. Some may help you, some may not.
    On my scuba tank mailboxes, the door is the bottom of the tank and weighs about 10 pounds. Because of that weight, I use one heavy duty stainless boat hinge similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mizugiwa-Mari...dp/B07CMYFSM7/

Name:  614MhHItHlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  47.8 KB

Also because of the weight, I want the door to swing to the left and stay horizontal so it doesn't slam down. On the hinge I use, you can see that one side is solid, the other side accepts a roll pin. I take a punch and carefully drive it into the center of the roll pin to expand it and tighten it up. I have gotten the punch stuck a few times.
    Your tank is very light so you won't have the weight issue, but opening up the roll pin may be an option.

On another item I make, I use the small 1-1/2" hinges from the big box store or Amazon that look like this:
    Name:  small hinge.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  118.0 KB
    Name:  hinge.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  121.0 KB
    I have used a hammer and chisel to tighten up where the hinge curls around the center pin. That removes quite a bit of the slop in that direction. You can also peen the ends of the pin more to bring the sections closer together.

In looking on Amazon, these hinges look like they are much tighter and better quality. I have not used them so am just basing it off the pic.
    https://www.amazon.com/Karcy-Hinges-...dp/B083TYCC5M/

Name:  good hinge.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  62.0 KB

Another consideration will be length and shape of your lip or overlap for sealing. I use a plastic scuba tank boot and have to trim sections of it so it moves through the range of motion and then seals tight. Don't be surprised if you have to adjust the lip of yours.

One more thought is that if your door swings down, will it come close to hitting the mail carrier vehicle? I know our carrier pulls really close to a normal mailbox, but then also pulls a little further away for the larger ones. Once they see the range of motion of yours, they will understand how close they can get and still reach inside to pull out mail.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

5. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about some arrangement of roller chain.
    James
    Millermatic 252 in the shop
    Miller Bobcat on a trailer for the feild repairs around the ranch.
    Mostly weld on equipment or pens around the ranch.

7. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I was told that it was "illegal" to have protrusions into the chamber. Supposed to prevent the mailman from getting cut and the like.

Stiff, but not so awful in size.... how about three bars of steel however thick you like. drill a hole through them all and rivet in a piece of 1/4" round bar. The center bar is welded to the door and the two outer bars are welded to the main body. If you use 1/4x1/2 flat or 1/2x1/2 square, it'd be very unobtrusive even when on the outside, and would be easy to round over and smooth the lines with a grinder and flap disk.

9. Likes ronsii, Shootr, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to figure out how thats a Mailbox.....

If it's going to be some kooky wacked out "artistic" mailbox, That could very well bite you in the azz if you get the wrong mailman/ mail person
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Around here you'd have to anchor that into concrete or it would take off during the night.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind of going for the "Fat Man" look with the front opening up.

Name:  unnamed (3).jpg
Views: 518
Size:  58.9 KB

The shotgun shell one lasted a year but I'm bored of it and it is pretty flimsy...

Name:  IMG_20190825_084015.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  105.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how thats a Mailbox.....

If it's going to be some kooky wacked out "artistic" mailbox, That could very well bite you in the azz if you get the wrong mailman/ mail person
    Yep, about 3 years ago we got a new carrier on our route that wouldn't deliver to any box not "approved by the postmaster general". Several people had to put up new "approved" boxes, then I had to replace mine because the old fool broke the outgoing mail flag. Then he bent the catch on the new box so it wouldn't stay closed. I rebent it with my thumb and had a talk with him... Got an official notice to replace the box again. Guys on a little power trip.

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yep, about 3 years ago we got a new carrier on our route that wouldn't deliver to any box not "approved by the postmaster general". Several people had to put up new "approved" boxes, then I had to replace mine because the old fool broke the outgoing mail flag. Then he bent the catch on the new box so it wouldn't stay closed. I rebent it with my thumb and had a talk with him... Got an official notice to replace the box again. Guys on a little power trip.
    LOL!!! and you guys thought 'Phone cops' were bad 'Mail Megalomaniacs' are worse!!!!!

18. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my jaded view of the situation...It's 99% yard art. Save for the odd birthday and Christmas cards, all that thing is is a way station for all the unwanted weekly ads and cyclical campaign flyers before they go into the garbage can.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can address concurns mentioned in post#3 about door reaching too far out when opened plus solve sturdiness of hinge by cutting lid like the shoot shell in post #8. Push piano hinge between box and lid til barrel butts against them. Cut hinge to liength where leaves are no longer between lid and box. Align parts with lid closed,tack to keep alignment when lid is opened then weld up from inside.
    Might need to add a false floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a drop in slot in it , that way you will be the only person that has to open it.

Post Thanks / Like

Stiff and skinny, better be careful, that is where people get nicknames...

23. Likes ronsii, Bls repair liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist