Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas to Repair Ring Roller Jackscrew

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas to Repair Ring Roller Jackscrew

I was fortunate to purchase this homemade ring roller from a local gentleman a few months back, and have really enjoyed using it. The rollers are for 1/2" square tubing, and I have also rolled EMT conduit, copper pipe and round steel tubing with no problems - until this weekend.

Name:  IMG_20200806_161350-01.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  261.0 KB

While rolling some 1/2" square steel tubing I managed to gall/strip the 5/8-11NC jack screw. If not clear in the pics, the tip of the screw is machined with a groove, that two roll pins capture and allow the screw to rotate within the steel draw bar that raises and lowers the center roller. Their is a steel threaded "cap" bar of steel that is threaded for the screw - which is now damaged along with the screw threads.

The failure is all operator induced - no anti-seize on threads (would have helped?), trying to roll a 12" diameter ring (too tight?), etc.

Name:  IMG_20200808_123136-01.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  241.8 KB

Name:  20201116-121526-01.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  258.2 KB

Name:  20201116-121345-01.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  119.9 KB

The screw seems to have taken the majority of the damage, but I cannot screw a new 5/8-11NC into the cap, so there is some damage in it as well.

The available repair options I can think of include:

1. Run a 5/8-16NC tap through the cap and clean up the threads, machine a new screw with the correct end, and re-assemble and use.
    2. Ream/drill out the cap with a 21/32" bit and tap it to 3/4-10NC, then machine a new screw end to fit in the draw bar and use.

Am I correct that anti-seize is a good idea in this application - or no?

Any other thoughts on how to successfully repair this treasure?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Shootr; 11-16-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas to Repair Ring Roller Jackscrew

Maybe part of the problem is that it should be Acme thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideas to Repair Ring Roller Jackscrew

Agree, acme thread for that application. I would get a close fitting acne bolt or/threaded rod ream those thread and weld appropriate nut on top or bottom. Added a spring for the return if you cannot machine the end. Though a grinder would be enough for that job.

Been a sacrificial c-clamp would work and have a machine end.

Probably no welding involved if you put the nut underneath.

4. Likes Shootr, Lis2323, theweldor, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, what you could do as a temp "fix" is to weld a coupling nut on top so you have all new threads and more threads to distribute the load over. That way you don't have to worry about cutting a larger size thread with taps you don't have on hand. Then, weld the broken off stub onto the end of the new threaded rod so you don't have to worry about turning the groove or anything. Wouldn't be hard to drill/file the threaded hole out to something bigger just so you have clearance for the bigger threaded shaft to pass through. As long as your weld is solid, it should be more than enough for a small roller like that.

While you're at it, might I also suggest you increase the diameter of the roller axles to 3/4". Even when you're rolling small stuff, there's a lot of deflection in thin axles, making for lots of binding and rubbing in the wrong places. It'd be a pain to drill out all the rollers, but I think you'll like the performance better.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Well, what you could do as a temp "fix" is to weld a coupling nut on top so you have all new threads and more threads to distribute the load over. That way you don't have to worry about cutting a larger size thread with taps you don't have on hand. Then, weld the broken off stub onto the end of the new threaded rod so you don't have to worry about turning the groove or anything. Wouldn't be hard to drill/file the threaded hole out to something bigger just so you have clearance for the bigger threaded shaft to pass through. As long as your weld is solid, it should be more than enough for a small roller like that.

While you're at it, might I also suggest you increase the diameter of the roller axles to 3/4". Even when you're rolling small stuff, there's a lot of deflection in thin axles, making for lots of binding and rubbing in the wrong places. It'd be a pain to drill out all the rollers, but I think you'll like the performance better.
    Good idea about larger axle diameter.

:

8. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if you don’t have any acme thread I would use a larger size fine thread and make sure it is good material not all thread. Look at a large puller they don’t use coarse thread never seize on the end too not just the threads

10. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just clean up what you have and keep it greased. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Yes acme threads would probably have served better, but my commercial ring roller has tapered threads.

Clean the female threads out with a tap. You could probably make a new screw with a drill press and a grinder and some files. Or,you could do what I did years ago and buy a lathe.

12. Likes tapwelder, Shootr, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. My roller has 1 inch dia bolt with tapered threads also. Black, no plating on the screw. No visible wear after and turns smoothly. Will do 2 inch square. So perhaps a just a hardened screw with no finish.

14. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Hmmm. My roller has 1 inch dia bolt with tapered threads also. Black, no plating on the screw. No visible wear after and turns smoothly. Will do 2 inch square. So perhaps a just a hardened screw with no finish.
    The guy that built it is one of you all - shop full of purposely useful tools and equipment, knows how to use them, dripping with ingenuity and know how. But age took it's toll and I lucked into his ad for the roller. I never gave it a thought as far as the bolt was concerned - didn't try to go too fast or crank it down too much after each pass. But somehow I managed to mess it up.

McMaster-Carr had a 3' x 5/8-8 lead screw and a couple nuts for $15 total so I went ahead and ordered them up. I'll ream out the hole for it to slip through and put the nut on and see how it does with some anti-seize for good measure.

As always, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply with great information.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

16. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  smiley-raising-waving-hand.gif
Views: 440
Size:  13.4 KB Uh..........one more thing

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, store a respirator with chemical cartridges installed (out of the bag they came in) in an open environment. You need to remove the cartridges, and put them in sealed plastic baggies between uses.

18. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if you don’t have any acme thread I would use a larger size fine thread and make sure it is good material not all thread
    Yup, agree on that point, wondering if a ball bearing loose in the bottom as a pivot would help also.
    no anti-seize on threads (would have helped?),
    I think you'd be better off with a moly paste rather than a grease or never seize. Reason I'm saying that is I had a bike with a driveshaft drive rather than a chain. The owners manual and a lot of reading says that the moly paste binds to the metal on a molecular level and prevents galling with the splines moving back and forth all the time. It prevents metal to metal conact...........Mike

20. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, store a respirator with chemical cartridges installed (out of the bag they came in) in an open environment. You need to remove the cartridges, and put them in sealed plastic baggies between uses.

Interesting. I did not know that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20201119_134932-01.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  162.2 KB

Got the 5/8" acme screw, nuts, and used this grease on it. (Snap-On, Komatsu - seems like wherever I'm working there's a "red" grease that's the bomb lol)

Rolled a 1-1/2" x 1/8" flat bar into a perfect little circle with practically no effort. I'm so happy to have my roller back!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

23. Likes AlabamaJoe, Lis2323, Alaska Marty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to let North and 3M know this tidbit of information, as this is what is in their cobo cartridge (THE PURPLE ONES) MSDS.

“ 7.2. Conditions for safe storage including any incompatibilities
    No special storage requirements.”

Not saying it is not true for some special use cartridge, just not for the cartridges we generally use for painting or particulate use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. The carbon in the cartridges is fantastic at absorbing vapors, and that means vapors of almost anything. Most common vapor? Water vapor. Yes, water vapor from humid air can "use up" your cartridge by taking up space on the carbon that was meant for actual contaminants in the workplace, like the solvents you are using. The more humid your environment, the more important it is to seal them in a plastic bag when not in use so they don't get used up on water vapor. The physics of the whole adsorption/desorption thing get super complex but the gist of it is that the water vapor is using up carbon capacity so you have less of it available for the important stuff.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    You might want to let North and 3M know this tidbit of information, as this is what is in their cobo cartridge (THE PURPLE ONES) MSDS.

“ 7.2. Conditions for safe storage including any incompatibilities
    No special storage requirements.”

Not saying it is not true for some special use cartridge, just not for the cartridges we generally use for painting or particulate use.
    They all know it. Humidity is always the enemy with carbon sorbants. All Carbon. The NIOSH tests include humidity specifically to make the challenge more difficult. i would guess if you look more closely you will find an instruction that says "to store in a sealed airtight bag when not is use." Or something similar. This is why. Plus if you store it in an area that has some vapors like in a paint prep area, then it will be soaking up those vapors even when you are not using it. If the goal is to get the best usable life from the cartridges, then store in a sealed plastic bag.
    -Dave

27. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That quote is right off the paperwork, “No special storage requirements” somebody is reading something into them that isnt there, most likely half remembered from some other thing. Hanging them on the wall is fine according to the manufacturer, no need in making life harder than it has to be.

Post Thanks / Like

What it doesn't say is if this is for new cartridges or cartridges that have been in use. Most respirators come with a plastic bag to store them in anyway. Any shop I worked in they kept them in bags mostly to keep them clean for when they had to use them again. In a typical shop there can be all kinds of contaminates floating around.

30. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    What it doesn't say is if this is for new cartridges or cartridges that have been in use. Most respirators come with a plastic bag to store them in anyway. Any shop I worked in they kept them in bags mostly to keep them clean for when they had to use them again. In a typical shop there can be all kinds of contaminates floating around.
    This. Mine happens to be hanging there because at that time I was scalping the lawn. 99.9% of the time it's in a zip lock in my truck toolbox. It's only for particulates (dust from ore crushing in confined spaces) as I am not certified (and choose not to be lol) for the more hazardous areas at my customers properties.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    That quote is right off the paperwork, “No special storage requirements” somebody is reading something into them that isnt there, most likely half remembered from some other thing. Hanging them on the wall is fine according to the manufacturer, no need in making life harder than it has to be.
    It says no incompatibilities for SAFE storage, meaning that there are no specific things they are worried about creating some sort of reaction in storage. Look, you are welcome to store your mask in the open, hanging on a tree, attached to your dog's collar, or however your employer may say you should do it. The point in putting a carbon cartridge, or more commonly the whole mask with cartridges on it, in a plastic bag is to extend the life of the cartridges. It won't be ruined if you leave it out, but if you are in a very humid area, it won't last as long. If you are in the desert it won't really change anything either way as the air is so dry, though it will keep it cleaner. But what do I know? I only work in respiratory protection...
    -Dave

33. Likes Shootr, Alaska Marty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I keep mine in a bag, but the fear mongering from the safety nazi about it hanging on the wall is just wrong, and I dislike things that are wrong.

35. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just wrong disliking things that are wrong.

:

37. Likes Shootr, walker, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I mention how happy I am to have my ring roller back in action
    Name:  20201119_135028-01.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  249.1 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Did I mention how happy I am to have my ring roller back in action
    Name:  20201119_135028-01.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  249.1 KB
    Not today, no. Thanks for update

:

40. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I've never used one of these machines obviously, but when you are rolling square stock, does it sit flat on the rollers? Or does it sit up on edge in the grooves? Is it possible to use it either way?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

42. Likes Shootr liked this post