+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wannabe welder

Post Thanks / Like

Wannabe welder

I've always wanted to learn the art of welding, but haven't pursued it. Backtrack. I started working construction during high-school, and shortly after. I then went into production work at several large manufacturers. After that in 1999 I got my CDL. Pulled logs, OTR, grain, lumber, and my present is sod hauling. Sod is definitely my favorite. Been married 27 years, and helped my wife raise her 2. That is and was a blessing.
    I joined WW in search for ideas and answers to my many questions I come up with during my research into getting started in welding. I'm finding them. I feel that after I gain enough knowledge that makes me somewhat look like I might know what I'm talking about I will get my brother in law to get me started. My plan is strictly hobby. I'll refurbish my utility trailer, build one or 2 or 3 smokers. My first smoker is going to be a Ugly Drum Smoker. I just want welding to fill in some of my free time, and making progress towards something that may make a few dollars. I like how on this forum you have several good opinions, and every person's question gets a response. Some of it is way out there, but I like that way. It's similar to playing pool. If you don't play with someone better than yourself you want get better, and eventually quit.
    I'm looking into mig/flux core 120v or 220v, and use flux to start. I'll have to run a wire for 120v. 220v 30a runs my compressor. I'm waiting for a good one below $300 to appear on CL within 200 miles while reading all the info I can. Thanks for a good forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wannabe welder

Welcome Rusty! I'd avoid any cheepo, 120V, flux-only machines, get a 240V ready for gas.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

3. Likes rustynut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to group.
    If looking for welder buy 240volt
    The 120 volt welders will flip the breaker all time.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rustynut View Post
    I've always wanted to learn the art of welding, but haven't pursued it. Backtrack. I started working construction during high-school, and shortly after. I then went into production work at several large manufacturers. After that in 1999 I got my CDL. Pulled logs, OTR, grain, lumber, and my present is sod hauling. Sod is definitely my favorite. Been married 27 years, and helped my wife raise her 2. That is and was a blessing.
    I joined WW in search for ideas and answers to my many questions I come up with during my research into getting started in welding. I'm finding them. I feel that after I gain enough knowledge that makes me somewhat look like I might know what I'm talking about I will get my brother in law to get me started. My plan is strictly hobby. I'll refurbish my utility trailer, build one or 2 or 3 smokers. My first smoker is going to be a Ugly Drum Smoker. I just want welding to fill in some of my free time, and making progress towards something that may make a few dollars. I like how on this forum you have several good opinions, and every person's question gets a response. Some of it is way out there, but I like that way. It's similar to playing pool. If you don't play with someone better than yourself you want get better, and eventually quit.
    I'm looking into mig/flux core 120v or 220v, and use flux to start. I'll have to run a wire for 120v. 220v 30a runs my compressor. I'm waiting for a good one below $300 to appear on CL within 200 miles while reading all the info I can. Thanks for a good forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Update.. After reading through this forum and following your advice I purchased a Hobart 210 MVP. I bumped my budget to $400, and expanded my CL search to 220 miles. The Hobart is like new. A cart, helmet, and tools were included. Now I will order the receptacle for the welder, and plug for the air compressor. Now I'm on the scrap steel hunt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That’s great.
    I think you’ll be happy with that machine.

Scrap steel- just say no to old bed frames.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

8. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, best idea is to buy a couple of lengths of tube and or angle you plan on using for your project. Then use small pieces to practice on to get the weld your looking for. Try finding a steel dealer in you area, as they are much cheaper than Home Depot , or Tractor supply. MVP is a proven performer, and parts(tips,nozzles,and wheels) are readily available.

Are you anywhere near these guys ? They have a pretty nice website..... Camden Steel & Metal : camdensteelandmetal.com

Good Luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Camden Recycle is about 5 miles away. They are the first I'll check. I didn't think they would have a web page but will look at it now. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist