+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arch flash

Post Thanks / Like

Arch flash

I was welding today and I have to keep lifting my helmet up to see. I got flashed a few times and I was wondering if I should worry about my eyes? Is there like an extensive amount of time you have to be flashed before you get arch flash or can it be just a few short flashes? I'm an amateur at welding so this is why I'm asking.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Arch flash

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyr72 View Post
    I was welding today and I have to keep lifting my helmet up to see. I got flashed a few times and I was wondering if I should worry about my eyes? Is there like an extensive amount of time you have to be flashed before you get arch flash or can it be just a few short flashes? I'm an amateur at welding so this is why I'm asking.

Thanks for the help.

Should you worry about your eyes? Did you really just ask that.

Stop lifting your helmet up while you're still welding. Seems simple enough. Perhaps I'm not understanding something that is getting lost in the translation. Please do explain why you have to raise your helmet while you are still welding. That part just makes no sense to me.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

If by lifting your helmet while welding could you see any better?? Probably not. Sounds like you have a filter lense problem or improper setting on an AD helmet. The painful part of arc flash is actually a sunburn on the surface of the eyeball and just like sunburn on skin takes a few hours usually overnite to heal. Retinal damage is also a possibility. You say your an amateur so I'm guessing you can't see because you're concentrating on the arc instead of the puddle and what's going on around the puddle. I know this sounds crazy but it's fact so try it.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

"Doctor, Doctor! It hurts every time I jam broken glass in my eyes!"

"So stop jamming broken glass in your eyes!"

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of helmet are you using?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Minor flash feels like someone is pouring sand in your eyes in the middle of the night. Major flash you will have an eye patch for a week or so and could have potential eye damage. Yes to what helmet and what shade of lens you are using? On thin material the lowest you should go is shade 9 but generally shade 10 is the most common for general welding. Make sure the lens and cover plate are clean and not covered in smoke and spatter. If you still have trouble seeing a low diopter (1-1.50) cheater lens is better than going too low on the shade of lens. If you suspect a flash but aren't sure, it's always good to have a Dr. check to make sure you have nothing in your eye.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 11-19-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Arc Flash is certainly a concern since you will experience discomfort like sand in your eyes.
    Couple arc flashes is not the end of the world.

As others have mentioned, don't lift yer helmet.

The shade function on a helmet is for comfort- they have general guidelines but each person is different.

Even in a low shade setting you are protected from Arc Flash- you could actually use a clear shield and be protected from Arc Flash. You will have severely fatigued eyes though.

Again, as mentioned- either get yer eyes checked for prescription or add more light to the area you are welding in so that you can see the puddle better.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    you could actually use a clear shield and be protected from Arc Flash.
    Really? Never heard that one before! (Not sure I'd test it, either!)

Post Thanks / Like

Arc Flash is certainly a concern since you will experience discomfort like sand in your eyes.
    Couple arc flashes is not the end of the world.

As others have mentioned, don't lift yer helmet.

The shade function on a helmet is for comfort- they have general guidelines but each person is different.

Even in a low shade setting you are protected from Arc Flash- you could actually use a clear shield and be protected from Arc Flash. You will have severely fatigued eyes though.

Again, as mentioned- either get yer eyes checked for prescription or add more light to the area you are welding in so that you can see the puddle better.
    Wrong. You are protected from UV rays with the coating on some clear lenses. You are not protected from the brightness of the arc.

Post Thanks / Like

A few times for most people will not have problem like cataract.
    I am 66 and do not have cataract
    But wait be for lifting the hood

Dave

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Really? Never heard that one before! (Not sure I'd test it, either!)
    yeah, that's why clear safety glasses protect you while working around welding. (Besides keeping material out of yer eyes.)

You are more likely to get Arc Flash/welder's eye being close to welding than actually welding.

Your brain forces your eyes closed if you were actually welding since it is so bright but walk away a couple feet and you can still keep your eyes open letting in the harmful UV rays.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Wrong. You are protected from UV rays with the coating on some clear lenses. You are not protected from the brightness of the arc.

read what I wrote again.
    The shade protects you from the brightness.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

and just so people UNDERSTAND....

I did not say one SHOULD where a clear face shield , but it offers MORE protection than lifting one's helmet and having ZERO protection.

Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

From Lincoln:
    Q: What is the correct lens shade to use in my welding helmet to properly protect my eyes?

Vista Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet from Lincoln Electric

A: Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application.

Of course, there are some suggested lens shade numbers that you can use as a guide if you are unsure what to select for your application. These correspond with the amperage being welded. Always select a shade that allows you to see the weld puddle clearest and that most aids your welding ability.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyr72

. . . Is there like an extensive amount of time you have to be flashed
    before you get arch flash or can it be just a few short flashes? . . .

Original post 01/19/15 - Arc eye!?

You may be attributing two distinct phenomenon into one causality.

For lack of proper medical terminology: I'll call the 1st an Optic-Flash,
    momentary blindness; and the 2nd - a Flash-Burn - the sand in the eyes feel.

The first: you usually get from yourself as a result of a split-second fumble
    of a hood flip, lead snag, or a surprise from a co-worker. Instantly all you
    can see: is the big-white-light we all know.

The Retina is the interior lining of the eye which transmits optic message to the
    brain; it has been over stimulated, and simply requires sometime to normalize.

Repeated intense Optic-Flashes have been associated with retinal detachment,
    and the incident is slightly higher in near-sighted individuals [glasses?]. All we
    can do is to be careful.

A Flash-Burn: the 'sand in the eyes pain' which is so celebrated, occurs when
    the Sclera - the white outer wall of the eye - gets sunburned. Unless you have
    painted the inside of your hood silver and placed a mirror behind you while
    welding you cannot get this from yourself. A Flash-Burn occurs from prolonged
    exposure to indirect, oblique light, typically from welding going on around you.

Prolonged-exposure multiplies intensity. Portable welding shields are the simplest
    prevention.

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

read what I wrote again.
    The shade protects you from the brightness.
    You wrote " you could use a clear shield and be protected from arc flash. You would have fatigued eyes". Seems to me your saying a clear shield will protect you to some degree from the arc.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing the OP has a non-AD helmet.... and is re-positioning the rod to restrike... hence the lift-up of the helmet probably the OP is not very steady with hands or something???

Post Thanks / Like

If you get burn you will know it you will not be wondering. I where standard prescription glasses under my hoood when welding with multiple operators and have Never been burned. But my brother will not weld without sunglasses inside his helmet because he has been burned so manytimes by weldors working around him. Took Him about 4 times to learn, Last time i thought he was going to have to go in tto the doc, took 2 nights before he could sleep.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Lincoln:
    Q: What is the correct lens shade to use in my welding helmet to properly protect my eyes?

A: Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application.

Of course, there are some suggested lens shade numbers that you can use as a guide if you are unsure what to select for your application. These correspond with the amperage being welded. Always select a shade that allows you to see the weld puddle clearest and that most aids your welding ability.
    Ed is correct. Auto dark lenses PASSIVELY protect the user from UV and IR. The shade setting represents how much of the visible spectrum gets through. As most know, the visible spectrum is the slice between UV and IR that we see in. Even if the lens is turned off, your eyes are protected from UV and IR, but not from visible light. If you light up an arc with it off, you will be seeing spots for sure and it isn't good for your eyes, but you aren't going to get a flash burn from the UV, for example.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line is don't take chances with your eyes. You only get one set. Repeatedly getting flashed is not good for them and can lead to permanent damage.

22. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

Destroyr72

A Flash-Burn: the 'sand in the eyes pain' which is so celebrated, occurs when
    the Sclera - the white outer wall of the eye - gets sunburned. Unless you have
    painted the inside of your hood silver and placed a mirror behind you while
    welding you cannot get this from yourself. A Flash-Burn occurs from prolonged
    exposure to indirect, oblique light, typically from welding going on around you.
    Opus
    While the sclera may get "sunburned," it is most often the cornea that is burned/affected, due to, usually, extreme exposure to a UV producing source... hence, the gritty feeling. When an eye doctor evaluates the extent of corneal damage he/she introduces a drop of sodium fluoresceine dye to the surface of the eye. This chemical has the unique property to temporarily stain damaged corneal cells, causing them to glow bright green under innocuous, filtered UV light. The extent of cellular damage is then, easily, evaluated at the microscopic level by using a slit lamp (stereo microscope). Damage that is apparent shows up as tiny green spots, scattered across the cornea. A healthy, undamaged cornea will not absorb any of the dye... cool!

24. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Lincoln:

A: Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes.

OK, yeah. I've been (kinda) flashed when my Miller Digital Elite didn't work right. It was bright, but it didn't hurt like an actual arc flash.

I thought you were suggesting that something like a clear plastic grinder face shield would protect your eyes from arc flash. Because I've been flashed wearing one of those by both UV (from welding arc) and IR (from O/A torch). In my experience, infrared from an O/A torch hurts more than arc flash.
    Last edited by Kelvin; 11-20-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

remember kids- You only have one set of eyes !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

The great thing about IR is that you know its there. The bad thing about UV is that it does not show as dangerous. We build UV and IR ovens and the shielding required for UV is essential as your eyes don't register the danger like IR.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist