+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White vinegar to clean mild steel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White vinegar to clean mild steel

First of all, I had no idea you could get a "brand new Perkins etc." You could put in a nice inline filter (you should have one anyway.
    I'd send it back.
    Get a nice welded tank from Summit or root around on ebait. I bought a very nice racer fuel tank that I'm using as my coolant reservoir and it's excellent. It has AN fittings though. Wasn't spendy.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

This tank came as part of a package; all new; Perkins 3 cyl diesel engine (yes, included a fuel filter); generator head, and the 12 gallon fuel tank,m which is standard, but I had the option to delete for a $300 credit. I have contacted the manufacturer of the finished product (not Perkins), and they told me that it's fine, and no, I cannot return or exchange the tank... that they are all that way.

So my question is on what procedure to use to rid the tank of rust, dry it and fill it with diesel.
    Millermatic 180 Mig
    Everlast Cyclone 262
    PrimeWeld 225X TIG
    Lincoln IdealArc 250 (sold)
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    Cut50 Plasma cutter
    Craftsman(1980) buzzbox purchase new (sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post
    I don't want to put fuel in this tank and feed a brand new Perkins diesel engine, so I am going to clean it. I'm thinking Evapo-Rust. Anyone here have suggestions or comment?
    Don't know whether it's approved for diesel fuel, but I've used Red-Kote on steel gasoline tanks for motorcycles and boats and it does a good job if you follow the instructions carefully.

Post Thanks / Like

White vinegar to clean mild steel

Will s,

I have used evaporust.
    It works.

But just like phosphoric acid or most other rust remover’s....

You need to either spray it with WD-40 or fill it up with diesel right away.

Or else it will flash rust again almost immediately.

I wouldn’t worry about that tank too much,
    It will clean up very easily and be good to go.

I second the fuel filter suggestion.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post
    Along these same lines of cleaning metal, the attached pic is of a brand new diesel fuel tank that I just purchased. It has never had fuel in it, and when I removed the fill cap, I was shocked at all the rust. I called the company that I bought it from, and they told me not to worry; it won't hurt a thing, and they are all like that.

I don't want to put fuel in this tank and feed a brand new Perkins diesel engine, so I am going to clean it. I'm thinking Evapo-Rust. Anyone here have suggestions or comment?Attachment 1719742
    You know, I am the original owner of a 1980 cx500. I rebuilt everything on the tank and reconditioned it. They called it creaming the tank. It was fantastic. I poured a bottle of someth8ng into the tank....sloshed it around.... then poured it out......they said the second step had to be done quickly because of something called flash rust.....a very fine rust that forms fast. The second solution was cream colored that coated the tank...cream colored. No rust, nothing....it is like a new container or like a plastic container now. Perhaps google creaming your gas tank.....maybe it is just for motorcycles but if you find this, read up on it and it must be better 15 years later!,,, oh and it is still perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    You know, I am the original owner of a 1980 cx500. I rebuilt everything on the tank and reconditioned it. They called it creaming the tank. It was fantastic. I poured a bottle of someth8ng into the tank....sloshed it around.... then poured it out......they said the second step had to be done quickly because of something called flash rust.....a very fine rust that forms fast. The second solution was cream colored that coated the tank...cream colored. No rust, nothing....it is like a new container or like a plastic container now. Perhaps google creaming your gas tank.....maybe it is just for motorcycles but if you find this, read up on it and it must be better 15 years later!,,, oh and it is still perfect!
    I just found it...thats what it is called kreem....tank sealer

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/red-k...1-quart-g.html

It is great!

Post Thanks / Like

I use to work on old honda motorcycles from the 70s. All came with rusty tanks on the inside. Best way i found to clean them and make them like bare shiny new metal inside is to go buy a bottle of "The Works" Toilet bowl cleaner. Like $2. Pour that whole thing in the tank, if you got a bigger tank then pour a few bottles in. Top it off with warm water, close the tank lid then put tape over it. shake that stuff around inside the tank and get it well mixed with water. Let it sit about a day. Pour the stuff out, then wash it well with soap and water. Once its clean then fog the inside with WD-40 so it wont flash rust. Boom brand new shiny metal tank. Guessing that stuff would take any coating off of metal if you soaked it overnight. The only time you use cream like the post above is if you think there is so much rust, that this toilet bowl cleaner will make a hole in the tank because rust is the only thing from keeping it from leaking. Then youd use that cream stuff cause it makes its own sealer. The problem with that cream stuff is that after a while the gas makes it peel away from the walls bit by bit...which then get caught in the filter and creates a huge mess.
    Last edited by saltlick; 12-09-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saltlick View Post
    I use to work on old honda motorcycles from the 70s. All came with rusty tanks on the inside. Best way i found to clean them and make them like bare shiny new metal inside is to go buy a bottle of "The Works" Toilet bowl cleaner. Like $2. Pour that whole thing in the tank, if you got a bigger tank then pour a few bottles in. Top it off with warm water, close the tank lid then put tape over it. shake that stuff around inside the tank and get it well mixed with water. Let it sit about a day. Pour the stuff out, then wash it well with soap and water. Once its clean then fog the inside with WD-40 so it wont flash rust. Boom brand new shiny metal tank. Guessing that stuff would take any coating off of metal if you soaked it overnight. The only time you use cream like the post above is if you think there is so much rust, that this toilet bowl cleaner will make a hole in the tank because rust is the only thing from keeping it from leaking. Then youd use that cream stuff cause it makes its own sealer. The problem with that cream stuff is that after a while the gas makes it peel away from the walls bit by bit...which then get caught in the filter and creates a huge mess.
    That has not been my experience. My tank is fleck free and i hope i am not jinxing myself. I went with products specific for my motorcycle application and not a home diy remedy when it comes my bike. I put KREEM in my tank july 2, 2006 and that **** is still going strong and otherwise, jimmy crack corn.

Post Thanks / Like

I also haven't had any trouble with Red Kote (similar material to kreem) used in the Fuel Control Cell of my marine 350...I avoid gasohol like the plague, though, so YMMV.

After acid-washing a steel tank, I definitely wouldn't leave it as-is, without some kind of plastic coating, because it's going to rust as soon as some condensation forms in the tank, within weeks, likely.

10. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist