+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White vinegar to clean mild steel

Post Thanks / Like

White vinegar to clean mild steel

I saw a video...he used white vinegar and Soaked it for 8 hours it worked so I got the cut poeces and soaked them for 24 hours....the mill scale is gone.

I gave it a bicarb bath and rinsed in hot water water to heat metal so it would dry...

Has anyone else done this?

Can weld now straight away?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White vinegar to clean mild steel

In a way. I routinely use vinegar to strip galvanized off parts before welding. Passivate in water is all.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    In a way. I routinely use vinegar to strip galvanized off parts before welding. Passivate in water is all.

Regards
    Do you still have to grind in order to weld?

Post Thanks / Like

24 hours is a long time... especially if you still have to grind the weld areas?

I tried vinegar for certain (non welding) projects.... results were dismal.

I find H ₃PO ₄ much better ............. (Phosphoric acid)
    Any big box store carries it.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    24 hours is a long time... especially if you still have to grind the weld areas?

I tried vinegar for certain (non welding) projects.... results were dismal.

I find H ₃PO ₄ much better ............. (Phosphoric acid)
    Any big box store carries it.
    I have all that. But dealing with acid cleanup and neutralization is a pain. If i were in a rush i would just take a flapper or grinder to the pieces....I should have been more clear, if you do this chemical cleaning, is grinding away still necessary to remove other metal oxides? I suppose i will find out later today when i light my torch up. Thanks for responding.

Post Thanks / Like

I soak recycled horseshoes in white vinegar and it works well.
    It works for zinc plated flat washers too.
    Effectiveness depends on how heavy zinc is.
    White vinegar will remove chrome plating too. I got a adjustable wrench at garage sale that was chrome plated and rusted shut. The vinegar worked on rust and removed loose chrome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    I have all that. But dealing with acid cleanup and neutralization is a pain...
    Yeah,
    I doubt you have it, Because there is NO acid cleanup or danger with H ₃PO ₄ ..... You ever drink a Coca Cola? OK then...

Cleanup is, Mix it with water and dump it in your garden or on your lemon tree......
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

You can get better/faster results if you up your game to 30% Vinegar from the Home Depot or Lowes. it's called "cleaning vinegar". Totally not a good idea to put a drop in your potato salad instead of using a cup of eating vinegar, btw.

Being stronger than regular vinegar, it goes faster. Still slower than a lot of other acids, but... at least it smells good.

I also use a mix of vinegar and lemon juice in a spray bottle to clean the kitchen countertops. Smells great and cleans wonderfully. Totally organic, doesn't leave any stickiness, and your kitchen smells like a deli for awhile.

10. Likes DavidR8, N2 Welding, CAVEMANN, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even better and cheaper than vinegar (acetic acid) or lemon juice is hydrochloric acid. You can get it cheap at the Dollar Store...it's sold for cleaning lime scale, etc., from toilets under the brand name "The Works."

Just be sure to check the label to make sure that it contains HCl ... I believe some types of "The Works" have a different chemical in them.

12. Likes N2 Welding, CAVEMANN, Oldendum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use muriatic acid for small pieces, It's simple because I always have a couple of gallons on hand for the pool. The used stuff gets diluted in water and used for cutting the garden beds, our ground is pretty high in alkalinity.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah,
    I doubt you have it, Because there is NO acid cleanup or danger with H ₃PO ₄ ..... You ever drink a Coca Cola? OK then...

Cleanup is, Mix it with water and dump it in your garden or on your lemon tree......
    I’m not so sure I’d want to eat any food from trees that have had some one dump any liquids that have metal milscale diluted into the solution being dumped on it. Just mypersonal preference. It’s interesting though and I might have to try this next time I want to remove milscale or zink plating
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I’m not so sure I’d want to eat any food from trees that have had some one dump any liquids that have metal milscale diluted into the solution being dumped on it. Just mypersonal preference. It’s interesting though and I might have to try this next time I want to remove milscale or zink plating
    Lots of trees like acidic soil. I do the same thing with pickle juice and "used" acids on our hollies, pines, cedars, etc. They like it. OTOH, I suppose one could pay money to lower the soil pH...

As for removing zinc plating ... pecan trees LOVE zinc, but it's pretty expensive to buy zinc soil supplements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Even better and cheaper than vinegar (acetic acid) or lemon juice is hydrochloric acid. You can get it cheap at the Dollar Store...it's sold for cleaning lime scale, etc., from toilets under the brand name "The Works."

Just be sure to check the label to make sure that it contains HCl ... I believe some types of "The Works" have a different chemical in them.
    The proper "Works" stuff (Blue?) has an "inhibitor" ingredient, I believe, which is intended to reduce the acid effect on the sound metal underneath the rust. "Rodine" perhaps?
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

19. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Burt Munro used to piss on his lemon tree... So I guess a little acidity wont hurt it....
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Burt Munro used to piss on his lemon tree... So I guess a little acidity wont hurt it....
    Most urine is alkaline (or becomes alkaline in nature) due to the ammonia in it.

The ammonia makes it good for putting onto compost piles to help the microbes "digest" carbon-rich woody material...or you can help it along with household ammonia.
    Last edited by Kelvin; 11-21-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all that. But dealing with acid cleanup and neutralization is a pain. If i were in a rush i would just take a flapper or grinder to the pieces....I should have been more clear, if you do this chemical cleaning, is grinding away still necessary to remove other metal oxides? I suppose i will find out later today when i light my torch up. Thanks for responding.
    You grind to remove mill scale. If you remove it with acid like you did, then there is no mill scale to grind, so why would you grind? No need.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite movies. He also used 2 parts Chevrolet and 1 part Ford to cast his pistons. But that’s got nothing to do with the vinegar .
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you still have to grind in order to weld?
    I really like how much of the mill scale is gone. Even inside tubes. I guess it is still a good idea to lightly take it down to shiny fresh metal to remove anything left although i do wipe with acetone before firing up my torch. But, for those of you who use something chemical to remove any nasty oxide or coating on your metal, do you do anything else before you start welding?

Post Thanks / Like

I have pool acid or sandblasting

Dave
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    You can get better/faster results if you up your game to 30% Vinegar from the Home Depot or Lowes. it's called "cleaning vinegar". Totally not a good idea to put a drop in your potato salad instead of using a cup of eating vinegar, btw.

Being stronger than regular vinegar, it goes faster. Still slower than a lot of other acids, but... at least it smells good.

I also use a mix of vinegar and lemon juice in a spray bottle to clean the kitchen countertops. Smells great and cleans wonderfully. Totally organic, doesn't leave any stickiness, and your kitchen smells like a deli for awhile.
    i am going to get some of this cleaning vinegar.

Post Thanks / Like

But, for those of you who use something chemical to remove any nasty oxide or coating on your metal, do you do anything else before you start welding?
    Yes. Sand with 150 then 220 then 300 then 600 then 1500 then 3000 grit. And in about 3 weeks you can start WELDING!

28. Likes N2 Welding, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Yes. Sand with 150 then 220 then 300 then 600 then 1500 then 3000 grit. And in about 3 weeks you can start WELDING!
    Exactly.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

I have some cheap-*** wrenches on the boat and they don't like salt air. I use a sheet of aluminum foil in a glass dish, lay the tool on the foil and cover the tool with vinegar. Overnight all the rust is gone and the chrome (what was on it before treatment) is still there, all shiny.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with mixing stuff. My wife makes dipping sauce with vinegar, hot pepper, soy sauce and garlic/onion. We have stainless steel spoons with pits corroded in them from that stuff. Yum.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

32. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Along these same lines of cleaning metal, the attached pic is of a brand new diesel fuel tank that I just purchased. It has never had fuel in it, and when I removed the fill cap, I was shocked at all the rust. I called the company that I bought it from, and they told me not to worry; it won't hurt a thing, and they are all like that.

I don't want to put fuel in this tank and feed a brand new Perkins diesel engine, so I am going to clean it. I'm thinking Evapo-Rust. Anyone here have suggestions or comment?Name:  Tank_img3.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  88.8 KB
    Millermatic 180 Mig
    Everlast Cyclone 262
    PrimeWeld 225X TIG
    Lincoln IdealArc 250 (sold)
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    Cut50 Plasma cutter
    Craftsman(1980) buzzbox purchase new (sold)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist