+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma cutter questions

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma cutter questions

I'm considering the Hobart 27i, the Miller 375 extreme, or the Hobart 40i plasma cutter for home/hobby use. Several questions:

1) The Miller 375 ans Hobart 40i have a pilot arc controller that essentially provides a pilot arc as needed. This is said to work better in situations where the arc might be extinguished during use - for instance with painted metal or expanded steel products. The Hobart 27i has only a starting pilot arc; if the arc is extinguished due to the example conditions noted previously, the operator has to pull the plasma gun trigger again to restart the arc. How important is this feature (a pilot arc controller vs. starting arc only)?

2) The larger Hobart 40i requires a greater airflow (6 vs 5 scfm @90psi). I'm assuming that the airflow increase is due to larger airflow at the tip, which at the same 90psi pressure would mean that the airflow hole in the tip is larger. Is this likely to increase the width of the cut (kerf), and buy how much? Has anyone tried both the 27i and the 40i and can comment on this question?

3)The Hobart 40i comes with an XT40R gun can use 30a or 40a tips, but the manual suggests that 40a tips are required with 240V input. Since the 30a tip should produce a smaller/thinner cut, I'd like to use it whenever I need 30aor less. Can I run a 30a tip on 240V as long as I keep the amps set below 30a?

4) Anyone with experience using either/all of these plasma cutters who can comment on their experience?

Thanks ins advance,

Beuford

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma cutter questions

Can I run a 30a tip on 240V as long as I keep the amps set below 30a?

Yes,
    and it's what you should be doing.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your response.

In the end, I decided on none of the above. I went with the Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP instead at ~ $450 over the cost of the Hobart 40i or the Miller 375. I mean, as long as I'm already committed to spending $1500... Who needs food, anyway?

Thanks again.

Beuford

4. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with Hypertherm on plasma cutters, IMHO. And if you ever run into problems, I think Jim Colt (rep of Hypertherm) posts here. PowerMax 45 is a nice unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember. the nozzle size should match the cut amps selected.
    lower amps than the nozzle size doesn't cut well. higher amps than nozzle and the nozzle wears out fast. set air pressure correctly and make sure air is clean, dry and oil free. Consumables will last a lot longer.

7. Likes driz liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist